Author Topic: Sidewall dynamo with a USB outlet, under US$50 delivered in UK  (Read 7149 times)

Andre Jute

This is an idea that was bound to happen: a sidewall dynamo with a USB outlet. The rectifier and voltage regulator are inside the dynamo. No experience, no recommendation.

EDIT: The reviews are toxic: the dynamo works once and then not again. http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00S82HCY4?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/151641947141

« Last Edit: July 10, 2015, 03:02:19 pm by Andre Jute »

Andre Jute

Re: Sidewall dynamo with a USB outlet, under US$50 delivered in UK
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2015, 02:57:41 pm »

The reviews are toxic: the dynamo works once and then not again. http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00S82HCY4?
« Last Edit: July 10, 2015, 03:01:31 pm by Andre Jute »

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2015, 05:02:14 pm »
The reviews are toxic...
Sadly, this matches the experience of friends who gave it a try.

Still, much promise for the concept if it could be made reliable for a great majority of users.

All the best,

Dan.

David Simpson

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2015, 05:30:34 pm »
The photo in the Amazon listing is very odd. It shows the generator mounted on the bike, but in such a way that it cannot touch the wheel.

For such a low price, I am not surprised that the reviews are bad. However, is there any reason why such a "bottle" generator could not work as advertised (5V/1A output)? While this particular model appears to not deliver, is there any fundamental reason why this design would not work? Can a small roller rubbing on the sidewall of the tire produce sufficient power without slipping? How about in the rain?

I had this type of generator on my bike as a teenager, and it produced a lot of drag since it was powering an old fashioned bike headlight. New LED lights require much less power, but if we want to recharge our USB devices, we need an honest 5V/1A (or perhaps 0.5A).

I have a SON28 hub on my Nomad, and I love it. It generates that power with only a barely perceptible drag. I suppose that a bottle generator could do the same, provided that there are no inherent inefficiencies in its design.

- Dave
« Last Edit: July 10, 2015, 05:33:39 pm by davidjsimpson »

mickeg

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2015, 05:44:42 pm »
If you want to charge something from the USB port, it will take hours to charge.

I have an old Union bottle generator on my errand bike so that I have some light in the fall when the sun goes down early.  It works great for a 10 minute ride so I do not have to worry about batteries, but I would never want to rely on something like that for hours.  The drag and the noise would convince me that I really don't want to charge anything after all.

Andre Jute

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2015, 11:48:47 pm »
...is there any reason why such a "bottle" generator could not work as advertised (5V/1A output)? While this particular model appears to not deliver, is there any fundamental reason why this design would not work? Can a small roller rubbing on the sidewall of the tire produce sufficient power without slipping? How about in the rain?

No reason whatsoever. I have a sidewall bottle generator on a top of the line Gazelle bike, fitted instead of the hub dynamo on the lower-price bikes as a "weight saving measure" — I kid you not! — and it works well, but then it should, as it is a German made item that doesn't leave any change out of the price of a much more than adequate Shimano hub dynamo. But my impression is that cyclists with vast experience prefer the wide roller type that fits under the bottom bracket, and that only if they can't afford a hub dynamo.

New LED lights require much less power, but if we want to recharge our USB devices, we need an honest 5V/1A (or perhaps 0.5A).

5V/1A? I'd want to see it. But 5V/500mA should be no problem and would work, albeit slowly as George says.

David Simpson

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2015, 12:15:49 am »
5V/1A? I'd want to see it. But 5V/500mA should be no problem and would work, albeit slowly as George says.

Yes, I see your point. I am probably being over-optimistic to expect 5V/1A from a generator.

What I am still unclear about are:

1. At what point does the drag of the generator become noticeable? My SON28 hub has almost no drag, and I assume it is putting out 2.5W (5V/500mA). It it were putting out 5W (5V/1A), I assume that there would be double the drag and I would notice it. (I assume that if it could output 5W with not much drag, it would have been designed to do that.) How many extra watts can I generate without noticing it?

2. What are the efficiencies of the different generator designs? How much of my extra energy (to overcome the drag) actually makes it out of the generator in the form of watts? How does the design of the generator (hub vs bottle, or high quality manufacter vs low quality) affect that efficiency?

- Dave

mickeg

« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2015, 12:51:48 am »
2. What are the efficiencies of the different generator designs? How much of my extra energy (to overcome the drag) actually makes it out of the generator in the form of watts? How does the design of the generator (hub vs bottle, or high quality manufacter vs low quality) affect that efficiency?

- Dave

Some excellent information in the graphs for hub units.  One of the graphs is a bit busy, but you can figure out an equivalent feet of climbing per mile for the different hubs.  Sidewall, I expect that there are too many factors to consider, like brand of tire, how much spring force pushing against the tire, etc.
http://www.ctc.org.uk/file/public/feature-hub-dynamos.pdf

The above link is one of the sources I looked at before I decided to buy the SP Dynamo PV-8 two years ago.  If it is daytime, I can't tell when my light is on or off (light is under handlebar bag, so I can't see the light unit when I am on the saddle) and there is no perceptible drag while riding with it.  

David Simpson

« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2015, 06:05:29 pm »
Some excellent information in the graphs for hub units.

Thanks for the link to the article.

- Dave

Andre Jute

« Reply #9 on: July 13, 2015, 10:59:29 am »
1. At what point does the drag of the generator become noticeable? My SON28 hub has almost no drag, and I assume it is putting out 2.5W (5V/500mA). It it were putting out 5W (5V/1A), I assume that there would be double the drag and I would notice it. (I assume that if it could output 5W with not much drag, it would have been designed to do that.) How many extra watts can I generate without noticing it?

- Dave

One of the reasons that the extra effort is often quoted as "a foot of rise per thousand" or per mile, or a few feet mile, as George does above is that the effort added by the modern topclass hub dynamos falls into the noise level of ambient conditions (road surface, wind, rider variations) where even the most sensitive and experienced cyclist has  little chance of detecting it. This is not surprising when you consider the numbers. If a cyclist puts out a constant 200W, the highest dynamo output you're talking about, 5W, comes to only 2.5% of the total, and the added effort (or loss in forward motion due to cutting the dynamo in) is thus a fraction of a fraction, below the human detection level. But no dynamo that you would consider is that inefficient. Though nobody is immune to the laws of physics, especially conservation of energy, a well-made hub dynamo has every appearance of giving you something valuable for such low cost that it is almost free, which probably accounts for the perennial popularity of the thing. See:

What you're really comparing the hub dynamo to isn't zero energy consumption, because the best non-dynamo hub will have at least some friction, but the marginal (i.e. additional) friction of fitting a dynamo hub. You're already committed to the dynamo hub's extra friction, if any, and weight (usually), because you must have lamps, but both are in negligible in the overall picture of propelling a hundred kilos of touring cyclist, bike and luggage, far, far, outweighted by convenience and safety considerations. So, what you must consider next is the frictional cost of cutting in the dynamo. This isn't as stupid as it sounds: there was a Shimano dynamo only about 20 years ago (and before that it was a Sanyo dynamo) that delivered more drag when switched off than when producing electricity! But the frictional cost of cutting in the dynamo turns out to be lost in the white noise too, too small to notice.

Conclusion: fitting a SON, Shimano or PV dynamo is a no-brainer.

None of this applies to the sidewall dynamo in the first post; if the generator, of whatever kind, doesn't work, it is dead weight. Really, what I say above  applies only to modern hub dynamos and to low-friction, efficient sidewall generators that are so well made that they cost nearly as much, and in some cases more, than a pretty good hub dynamo.

David Simpson

« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2015, 03:38:39 am »
Thanks for the info, Andre. I hadn't realized that a cyclist puts out 200W. (Is that a pro cyclist or just me plodding along?) In that case, yes, the 5W or 2.5W of the dyno hub is comparable to the background noise (figuratively and literally) of the inefficiencies inherent in most mechanical systems.

I'm still waiting for a dynamically adjustable dyno hub that can generate more power in certain situations, such as during (regenerative) braking, or when I have a tailwind or a downhill and want to charge up my batteries. I'd like to be able to "dial in" the power setting, just like the resistance settings on those stationary exercise bikes.

- Dave

JimK

• Interdependent Science
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2015, 03:48:51 am »
I have seen that Bradley Wiggins puts out an average 476 watts over a time trial.

Me, I climb an 8% grade at about 3 mph. That's 120 watts. I have a rowing machine that I use in the winter and that measures power output. That same 120 watts is also a pretty good number for something I can sustain but it has me huffing and puffing pretty well.

200 watts I can do for maybe ten seconds!

Andre Jute

« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2015, 09:31:27 am »
I hadn't realized that a cyclist puts out 200W. (Is that a pro cyclist or just me plodding along?)

It's a theoretical number often quoted. I've always considered it a bit optimistic, and said so in my first draft, but scratched the qualifying phrase because some of the younger guys here on their road bikes probably can manage it for an hour.

I'm still waiting for a dynamically adjustable dyno hub that can generate more power in certain situations.

Aren't we all?