Author Topic: Dyno Hub Powered USB Charger - Which to Buy? Combined with Headlamp?  (Read 10742 times)

mickeg

I have given up trying to make a USB charger with low cost parts.  I have decided to buy a USB charger or a headlamp that includes a USB port.  I have the SP Dynamo PV-8 3 watt hub and the B&M Lumotec Oval (switched) headlamp without sensor and without stand light.  I use a battery power taillight and have no plans to change that.

I use a handlebar bag.  I would like to be able to charge USB powered devices, Li Ion batteries and AA/AAA NiMH batteries with a USB power supply.  I expect to have the device being charged in the handlebar bag.

I am considering these options:

- SineWave Revolution USB charger. 
    http://www.thorncycles.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=7939.0
    http://www.thorncycles.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=10603.0

- B&M Luxos U. 
    www.sjscycles.co.uk/busch-and-muller-lumotec-iq2-luxos-u-senso-headlight-for-hub-dynamos-prod31108/
    http://www.thorncycles.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=8581.0

- AXA Nano 50 Plus. 
    http://www.axa-nano.com/
    http://www.axa-stenman.com/en/bicycle-components/lighting/dynamo-head-lights/nano50-plus/
    http://www.thorncycles.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=4121.0
    http://www.bikeradar.com/commuting/news/article/axa-nano-50-plus-first-look-33632/

- AXA Luxx 70 Plus. 
    http://www.axa-stenman.com/en/bicycle-components/lighting/dynamo-head-lights/luxx70-plus/

Of these options, the SineWave apparently has the best waterproofing.  I have read some reviews of water ingress into the Luxos U.  I do not know if the water ingress problems were all solved with the new cable modification.

Since I already have the Lumotec, I do not need a new headlamp.  But, the convenience of a single switch on a headlamp unit combined with the USB port is worth consideration.

Can anybody that has experience with the Luxos U or either of the AXA headlamps comment on quality, reliability of the USB port, etc?

I know almost nothing about the AXA lights as they do not appear to be sold by any USA sellers.  But I like what I see so I will probably get one of them unless anybody here has any pertinent information to change my mind.

Thanks.

John Saxby

Re: Dyno Hub Powered USB Charger - Which to Buy? Combined with Headlamp?
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2015, 03:24:46 am »
Mickeg,

My equipment & experience isn't directly in line with yours, but FWIW, this is what I've worked with on my Raven since spring of 2014:

• SON 28 dynahub
  • Sinewave Revolution
  • Trelock 40 lumen iDuo (I think it's called) headlight

I have a dual circuit from the SON28 (piggyback connectors on the hub tabs), one to the Sinewave, one to the headlight. On Dan's advice, I installed Dean's connectors in both circuits, about 10 cms upstream from the hub (allowing for a drip loop immediately the wires leave the hub.) The Dean's connectors are sturdy, and one can then remove the wheel by separating these, rather than unhooking the wiring at the hub.

I bought the Trelovk 40 at a good price from XXCycle in France.  I use the headlight mainly to be seen -- I rarely ride at night. (I use two separate battery-powered tail lights, although the Trelock can mate with a wired tail light.)

My Sinewave charger is mounted on the  stem of my Thorn acc T-bar (which holds my Rohloff shifter), and a split charging cable (sold by Sinewave) carries the charge to whatever device I'm carrying in my handlebar bag:  candy-bar cellphone, Panasonic batt chargers (for 2 AA or AAA batts), my camera. (All of those have USB power cables.) When the charger is in use, its USB port is covered by the flap on the back of my Arkel small h/bar bag -- doubt that Arkel planned this, but it's very handy for weather protection. (The charging cable goes around the end of the flap and into the bag via a fractionally open zipper.)

When I'm not using the charger, I cover the USB port with a tab of black plastic electrician's tape.  So far, it's been completely weatherproof, including a 7-hour ride in the rain a week ago last Friday.

As you probably know, the charging capability of this setup (SON28 + Sinewave) is significantly reduced when you're running the headlight.  On my Denmark-Sweden-German trip last August/September, I found that I used the headlight quite regularly on public roads.  I was also using my GPS quite a bit (eTrex20), and found that it was difficult to replenish 2 AA batts and my cellphone over the course of a day's riding (maybe 6 - 7 hours' riding). Since I was usually in a place at night where I could recharge from the mains (using a small transformer with a USB port, happily, so my split charging cable worked nicely.)

The only problem I've had occurred this past month: a wonky connection between female spade connector in the light circuit, mating with the male tab on one piggyback connector at the hub. My headlight would go on and off intermittently.  I checked it in the workshop, and found that the culprit was one of the female connectors. I was a bit surprised, as I almost never remove the connectors at the hub--either from the tabs on the hub itself, or from the piggyback connectors. Who knows why these things happen?  Buy some extra connectors, in any case, when you set up your lighting & charging.  I replaced the offending connector today, and all's well again.

While I had the wonky connection, I restored my lights by switching between the two circuits from the dynahub: the charging circuit was undamaged, so I just switched around the leads at the Dean's connectors, and voilą!--I realized that my charging circuit was, in effect, a spare lighting circuit.  This came in handy, for sure, as I needed my headlight for my long wet grey ride a week ago Friday.

Hope that's helpful, mickeg, and that you can use the bits which seem relevant to your program.  Good luck!

mickeg

« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2015, 12:56:07 pm »
Mickeg,

My equipment & experience isn't directly in line with yours, but FWIW, this is what I've worked with on my Raven since spring of 2014:

• SON 28 dynahub
  • Sinewave Revolution
  • Trelock 40 lumen iDuo (I think it's called) headlight
My Sinewave charger is mounted on the  stem of my Thorn acc T-bar (which holds my Rohloff shifter), and ... ... When the charger is in use, its USB port is covered by the flap on the back of my Arkel small h/bar bag -- doubt that Arkel planned this, but it's very handy for weather protection. ... ...
When I'm not using the charger, I cover the USB port with a tab of black plastic electrician's tape.  So far, it's been completely weatherproof, ... ...

Thanks. 

If I understand your wiring correctly, you have both your light and the Revolution wired in parallel with the hub.  And I assume when you want to charge something, you shut your light off with a switch at the light.  But when you want to use the light, you simply do not plug anything into the USB port so that the Revolution does not draw too much power away from the light.  If I buy the Revolution, that would be my wiring plan too.

Regarding wiring, I use zip ties to attach the wire with hub connector to the fork leg.  Then at the fork crown I have another set of wiring connectors (2.8mm spade connectors).  I do this because I have three forks to deal with.  I have one dynohub but want to be able to use that wheel on two 26 inch wheel touring bikes, a Sherpa and a Nomad Mk II.  And for the Nomad, I have two forks, a suspension one and the Thorn solid one.  Thus, a wire is zip tied to each of three forks with appropriate connectors at the fork crowns and for the hub.  The SP Dynamo hub connector is interchangeable with the Shimano connector which is easier to purchase, thus I have Shimano hub connectors on two forks.

Based on the last posting at the following link, it appears that the SineWave Revolution is the most waterproof option available.  You might not need to be as careful as you have been.  If I buy the Revolution, I will likely not bother with any tape over the USB port.
http://www.thorncycles.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=7939.0

rualexander

« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2015, 01:27:47 pm »
I've had a Axa Nano 50 Plus for about four years now, no problems with it, very good light, and the usb port is handy and works well.
If I want to charge something while it's raining significantly, I stick a ziplock bag over the whole unit with an elastic band to keep it in place.
Light rain and occasional showers I just use it without the bag cover and have had no problems.
Probably going to upgrade to the Axa Luxx 70 Plus next winter for even more light.

John Saxby

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2015, 03:28:19 pm »
Thanks, mickeg.  You're correct in your reading on my wiring setup.  I avoid using both light and charger at the same time; the default seems to be that the light draws its requirement first, with the charger having to make do with leftovers.

With that array of forks, I understand your need to install the connectors near the crown!  I'd considered installing a couple there as well, although so far I've had no need to remove the fork.

My use of tape for covering the USB port (facing forward for convenience) reflects worry about dust and road grime getting inside, as much as rain.  In the event, none of that had been a problem.

Sinewave also makes a "Reactor" product, located atop the stem, with the wiring inside the steerer tube.  Having installed my Revolution, I haven't looked at its stablemate very closely.

mickeg

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2015, 04:02:00 pm »
I've had a Axa Nano 50 Plus for about four years now, no problems with it, very good light, and the usb port is handy and works well.
If I want to charge something while it's raining significantly, I stick a ziplock bag over the whole unit with an elastic band to keep it in place.
Light rain and occasional showers I just use it without the bag cover and have had no problems.
Probably going to upgrade to the Axa Luxx 70 Plus next winter for even more light.

Thanks for the update.  I read your posts from when you first bought it and I was wondering if it was still working well for you.  Since the AXA lights are not sold in my country, I have never seen one.  Have you seen the Luxx 70 and how it compares to your Nano 50?  My current thinking is to get the Nano 50, but I probably will not finalize my decision for a week, waiting so I can see more comments.

Sinewave also makes a "Reactor" product, located atop the stem, with the wiring inside the steerer tube.  Having installed my Revolution, I haven't looked at its stablemate very closely.

I use a bracket on the top of my stem on my Nomad to hold my GPS, so a USB port on the top of the steerer tube would not work for me.  Plus, that would be harder to move from one bike to the other than the other options I am considering.

energyman

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2015, 09:46:50 pm »
I've got the B&M Luxos U and I stuff the USB/Switch into my handlebar bag when it rains, so far that works OK.

mickeg

« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2015, 11:07:08 pm »
I ordered the AXA Luxx 70. 

The Luxx 70 can be ordered with a sensor for ambient light so that it will automatically turn on in the dark.  I have no idea how sensitive that is, but I would not want to shut off my battery charging if I ride through shadows or under bridges on an overcast day.  Thus, I ordered the one without that feature. 

This was not an easy decision, I put more time into internet research than I should have.  Thanks to those that responded with their experiences with these devices.

John Saxby

« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2015, 01:19:48 am »
Good luck, mickeg -- let us know how it all plays out.

mickeg

« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2015, 09:06:57 pm »
UPDATE:

I received the AXA Luxx 70 Plus with stand light (and without sensor) and have used it for a few weeks.  The instructions that came with it are in German, no English version, but it was pretty easy to figure out.

I use the light with my SP Dynamo PV-8 3 watt dynohub.  I use a battery powered taillight so the AXA light or USB port is the only device that draws power from the hub.

You can use the AXA for light or for USB power, not both.  The light has a two position switch for one or the other.

The USB port works well to charge batteries.  I probably will use it to directly charge my Android based phones and tablets in the future, but so far have only used it to charge AA batteries.  My battery charging needs are for GPS, camera, phone, tablet, taillight, camping light, and possibly a radio.  These needs are met with Li Ion and NiMH AA or AAA rechargeable batteries.  I use the following for battery charging, all of these devices use the USB port for power:

- Pixo C-USB.  This is a 1 or 2 AA, 2 AAA or 1 Li Ion smart battery charger.
 - Eneloop smart AA charger model KBC-E1AS, charges 1 or 2 AA batteries, not rated for AAA batteries.
 - Generic cheap 1 or 2 AA or AAA dumb charger with low current rating.  (I owned these before I bought the Eneloop smart charger.)

Also have a USB splitter cable, USB extension cables that allow me to put the stuff I am charging in my handlebar bag and a LCD ammeter so that I can see how much current is coming out of the USB port.  The USB port supplied over 300 ma at 6.5 mph (~10 km/hour) and up to 500 ma at 10 mph (~18 km/hour).  AXA says the USB port works at 14 km/hour, but I did not try to see what the current was at that exact speed.  Occasionally it went over 500 ma current flow when I was using two of the Eneloop chargers on the splitter cable to charge four AA batteries at once, the highest current flow I saw was 620 ma.  The Eneloop chargers current draw is quite erratic and constantly changing, thus the current flow out of the AXA was not very consistent.  That is a characteristic of the Eneloop chargers, they behave this way when plugged into an outlet too, so the erratic current flow was not due to the AXA Luxx.

Neither the Eneloop or Pixo chargers protest when I stop and restart rolling again, they keep charging the batteries just fine when I start moving again.  Thus the lack of a cache battery on the AXA does not hamper me.  But, I would not be surprised if stop and go charging interferes with the chargers knowing when a battery is fully charged, so if I am facing a lot of stop and go traffic I probably will disconnect the chargers.

This time of year it stays light out pretty late.  I took the bike out in the evening a few times after dark just to test the light, but overall I have not used the light very much in the dark yet.  I however did use the light in an unlit tunnel yesterday that is about a quarter mile long, it provided adequate light with a narrow beam in the tunnel where there were no other light sources. The light provided enough light to the sides that I could stay in the middle of the tunnel, which I had difficulty doing with previous lights.  On the internet, some complained that the beam was not as wide as the B&M Luxos U, but I liked the narrower AXA beam shape.

The light beam varies with speed.  I have no clue how it senses speed (AC frequency?, voltage?, other?).  At slower bike speed it uses a high power LED for distance and a pair of lower power LEDs to light up the ground closer to the user.  At higher speed the close distance LEDs turn off, only the brighter main LED remains lit, this high power LED has a bright narrow beam.  AXA calls this intelligent beam technology.  I like that lighting system although I have seen some comments on the internet that some users do not like this speed dependent lighting.  There are hot spots in the main beam, I can live with that but I would have preferred that the engineers that designed the reflector spent a little more time designing it to avoid the hot spots.  The cutoff between the ground and up higher where it can shine in the eyes of oncoming traffic has a sharp cut off, with careful aiming of the light you can get most of the light where you want it without wasting much light above the horizon.

The AXA wiring is not as nice as I would have liked.  There is a short wire for tail light hanging out of it.  Since I use a battery powered taillight, I do not use this short wire, but some day I might change my mind so I did not want to cut the wire off.  Thus, I used some electrical tape to cover the conductive spade connectors and coiled it up to get it out of the way, but it looks a bit untidy.  I would have preferred that AXA used a B&M Luxos method of having two spade connectors on the light unit to plug in tail light wiring instead of a wire hanging out of it.  The power supply wire was quite long, probably about the right length for most people to reach the hub.  I have wire connectors at my fork crown so I cut the supply wire shorter to plug into space connectors at the fork crown.  Like my comment on taillight wiring, I would have preferred that AXA used spade connectors on the back of the light for the power supply instead of a dedicated wire soldered into the unit.

The USB port is in the mounting bracket.  If you remove both bolts on the mounting bracket, the two pieces of plastic that form the bracket separate and there is a USB connector as part of a printed circuit board with the wires attached in between those plastic bracket parts.  There is no apparent waterproofing other than the soft plastic plug that covers the USB port when it is not in use, thus the two plastic parts that form the mount have no water seal between them to keep the water out of the circuit board.  I put electrical tape over this seam, hopefully this lack of waterproofing never is problematic.  I have not seen any negative comments on the internet by others about this lack of waterproofing.  Someone on this forum had commented that they put a plastic bag over the entire light unit when they use the USB for charging in the rain, that is probably a very good idea and I have put a couple small zip lock baggies into my handlebar bag in the event I want to use the USB port in the rain for charging.

The mount appears to work just fine.  Some on the internet commented that when they hit a bump that the light aim changed, this has not been a problem for me and I found it easy to tighten up the mount to hold it in place.  I have hit several bumps with my Nomad without the light shifting, so I have tested the mounting bracket rather well.

The mount attaches to the fork crown the same way that all other lights do, with a threaded bolt into the fork crown.  Unfortunately on my fork the threaded hole is not aimed directly ahead, but slightly to the left.  This is a problem with my Thorn Nomad Mk II fork, not the AXA light.  Thus, my light beam was aimed to the left, not directly ahead and there was no way to adjust it with the AXA mount because the AXA mount was plastic, not a bendable metal.  I had to shim this to get the light to aim correctly.  This was a bit of hassle that I did not expect, I wish that quality control on the fork had been a bit better.

The light came with a couple extra pieces of wire and some additional mounting brackets for other forks.  I think there is enough extra wire for a taillight if I wanted to use one.

The stand light uses the high power distance LED at lower power, not the closer distance LEDs.  I suspect that using the main beam this way is safer as oncoming traffic can see you better when you are stopped.  But if you wanted the stand light to help you put a bike away in a dark shed, it might not be aimed the way you want it.

Overall, I am quite happy with the AXA Luxx 70 Plus.  It is small, lightweight and compact and I expect it to serve my needs quite nicely.  It also have a very good price compared to other options.  There are many differences between it and the competitor B&M Luxos U.  If you are looking for a dynohub powered headlamp with USB charger supply port built in, you will have to spend some quality time deciding between the two because the two are quite different.  So far I am happy with my choice, but I am sure some would prefer the B&M.  As noted above, I would have preferred that AXA used the same method of wiring with spade connectors as B&M.  Also time will tell if the waterproofing at the USB port circuit board is adequate.  I chose the version without the automatic sensor to turn on the light in the dark, thus my comments do not reflect the sensor version.

In the photo nothing is plugged into the USB port, it is under the light gray cover on the mount that has the USB symbol on it.  The two position switch is on the back and not shown in the photo.