Author Topic: I've Had Enough of Sapim Race Spoke Breakage  (Read 13552 times)

Slammin Sammy

Re: I've Had Enough of Sapim Race Spoke Breakage
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2015, 10:25:34 pm »
what u need now sam is a a spare rim,or is it just the rear spokes thats breaking.

No, mate. It's both wheels, with the front being the latest off the bike. If it holds up with the new(er) Race set, I'll redo the rear regardless, but I might wait to get the DTs on.

jags

« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2015, 11:22:28 pm »
Sam i'de say you got a batch of dodgy spokes for sure.
hope you get it sorted im certain you will.

anto

John Saxby

« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2015, 01:03:10 am »
Sam, 'tis said that the universe is indifferent to us, but you must feel that The Man has it in for you... Good luck with your new Race spokes, but I'd keep those DT Comps close to hand when you get them.  You probably didn't really want to become an experienced wheelbuilder, but the skills will surely be useful. 

il padrone

« Reply #18 on: May 22, 2015, 09:54:02 am »
Waranteeee!!

If you can get in touch with the supplier. A few years ago Sapim had a bad batch of spokes. Corrrosion fracturing was the problem. Spokes breaking in the middle. This does not normally happen. I had a bike with new wheels. It had not been used much and had sat on the hook for almost a year. Took it down to ride one day and found 4-5 spokes broken in the middle. I was so perplexed - blamed someone for cutting the spokes (not a good idea  :-X )

When I took it to the wheelbuilder, he took one look and said "Oh I know that" and rebuilt the wheel for free. Rebuilt the rear as well, which had the tell-tale signs of corrosion on the spokes - lumps that look like dirt, but do not rub off.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2015, 09:55:36 am by il padrone »

Slammin Sammy

« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2015, 05:14:41 pm »
You got it Pete! Them's the ones.

Just finishing relacing the rear wheel this weekend. Fingers crossed this is the end of it. I'll post the results in a few months' time. The rapid corrosion gives these spokes away.

jags

« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2015, 09:12:24 pm »
I'de say your sorted Sam keep us posted on the new build. ;)

anto