Author Topic: Ow.  (Read 10475 times)

Matt2matt2002

Re: Ow.
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2015, 05:08:37 pm »
Been back and gone again at least twice since those days  :D

Have an old pair of flares still kicking about in the wardrobe (I think), that I once (about 18 years ago now) wore to school (work) on a 'daggy-dress day' for staff. I was offered $50 for them by one of the Year 12 senior students ::) ;D

Checked hipster flares they were...... with big cuffs. Kinda like this, but more flare  ;D ;D

Thanks for the pictures. Well, the first one anyway.
I think I may have one of these (The remover/puller) so I will give it a go tomorrow
Cheers
Matt

All further posts on my maintenance issues (Axa adventure, EBB etc. ) will now be posted on the Old Bird bike section.
Thanks thanks for all assistance so far.
I have a feeling more may be required.
Never drink and drive. You may hit a bump  and spill your drink

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2015, 05:59:10 pm »
Cool pants, Pete; yours even had cuffs, which were the crème de la crème of that fashion tangent "back in the day".

In fashion, as otherwise, "Nothing says yesterday like something intended to say tomorrow".

The classics never go out of style. The other stuff...well, it can be a flash in the pan*.

All the best,

Dan. (...who once owned pants that ehm, weren't dissimilar. What goes around comes around -- again)

*"Flash in the pan", an archaic phrase originally referring to the early days of flash photography, where magnesium shavings/powder were held in a metal tray for ignition. Now taken to mean something that is briefly trendy or noticeable before fading quickly.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2015, 06:05:50 pm »
I...don't recall another single thread so far-ranging in so few entries...

• Rohloff oil change
• Finger amputation
• Raven Tour eccentrics
• Ring-locks
• BB removal sockets
• Dated Hollywood comedy references
• Fashion references from the '70s
• Etymology
• References to the early days of tin-type photography

Whew!  :D

All the best,

Dan.

rualexander

« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2015, 06:42:13 pm »

*"Flash in the pan", an archaic phrase originally referring to the early days of flash photography, where magnesium shavings/powder were held in a metal tray for ignition. Now taken to mean something that is briefly trendy or noticeable before fading quickly.

I thought 'flash in the pan' came from the old muskets, and it looks like wikipedia agrees http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/flash_in_the_pan

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2015, 07:47:57 pm »
Looks like you're right, Rual! I heard my version from my old Film Studies professor, but he was given to "telling stories" while telling stories.  :D

All the best,

Dan.

John Saxby

« Reply #20 on: March 11, 2015, 02:52:07 am »
...and here I thought it was from the gold-rush days of the late 19th century, when "a flash in the pan" usually promised more than it delivered. (If this isn't the origin of the expression, then I think it should be considered so.)  Reckon that the illustrated version of "The Shooting of Dan McGrew"--by Ted Harrison, late of Yukon, BTW--is the appropriate accompaniment to any discussion of the subject. "A bunch of the boys were whooping it up/In the Malamute Saloon/And the kid that handles the music box/Was hitting a jag-time tune..."

Andre Jute

« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2015, 03:56:20 am »
I...don't recall another single thread so far-ranging in so few entries...

Between the excitements of the Iditarod Sled Dog Race -- https://www.facebook.com/pages/Iditarod-a-novel-of-The-Greatest-Race-on-Earth/193084334057961?ref=hl -- , I'm planning to change the oil in my Rohloff box.

But now I won't do it in front of a screen!

Mike Ayling

« Reply #22 on: March 12, 2015, 09:36:21 am »
Cool pants, Pete; yours even had cuffs, which were the crème de la crème of that fashion tangent "back in the day".

In fashion, as otherwise, "Nothing says yesterday like something intended to say tomorrow".

The classics never go out of style. The other stuff...well, it can be a flash in the pan*.

All the best,

Dan. (...who once owned pants that ehm, weren't dissimilar. What goes around comes around -- again)

Also:From the days of flintlock firearms, where the main charge was intended to be fired by a small charge of gunpowder in the priming pan. If the resultant fire did not pass through the touch-hole and ignite the main charge, the momentary coruscation produced noise and smoke, but no substantial effect, and was termed a “flash in the pan”. Sometimes called "fluff in the pan", the term refers to any ineffectual, short, spasmodic effort which dies in the attempt, such as an explosion of priming in the lockpan of a gun, while the gun itself does not go off.

Cheers

Mike

Donerol

« Reply #23 on: March 12, 2015, 10:48:58 am »
Rualexander beat you to it!  ;)

I thought 'flash in the pan' came from the old muskets, and it looks like wikipedia agrees http://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/flash_in_the_pan

alfie1952

« Reply #24 on: March 14, 2015, 12:25:24 pm »
Thanks for the warning Dan, I was going to do an oil change, but after reading this, may do it tomorrow, or the next day. The check list will include a bucket of ice.

Alfie

revelo

« Reply #25 on: July 29, 2015, 02:09:08 am »
Removing your cartridge bottom bracket requires a special socket, and the cartridge is best removed or installed with the eccentric firmly affixed in the frame.

It's much easier to remove the eccentric and place it in a bench vise and THEN remove the BB. Cushion the aluminum eccentric with brass shims or strips of leather, since the steel vise will otherwise cut into it.