Author Topic: anything happening lads.  (Read 16437 times)

jags

Re: anything happening lads.
« Reply #45 on: July 13, 2015, 11:31:25 pm »
glad he's OK fair play to you Dan for sticking around and helping out most people would have  left the scene in case they had to go as a witness  ;)

jags

« Reply #46 on: July 28, 2015, 08:56:22 pm »
Terrible summer we ae having that's me moan for the day. :o

anto.

rualexander

« Reply #47 on: July 28, 2015, 09:54:14 pm »
Terrible summer we ae having that's me moan for the day. :o

anto.

Shocker here too jags, wet and cold, could easily be October this week. Looking forward to three weeks in France in September.

jags

« Reply #48 on: July 28, 2015, 10:15:57 pm »
yeah never seen so much rain and this bloody wind driving me crazy.
france sounds cool enjoy, take a camera  ;)

John Saxby

« Reply #49 on: July 29, 2015, 12:31:18 am »
Seriously wet & cold in Atlantic Canada this summer, too: 9 degrees in St John's (Nfld) the other day, barely above 8 in Iqualuit, on Baffin Island. Our daughter's flatmate is an opera singer, and takes a small company around rural Canada by bicycle (google 'Bicycle Opera').  This "summer", they're in Nova Scotia & Cape Breton, normally a treat, but I haven't had the heart to ask how they're managing.

JimK

• Interdependent Science
« Reply #50 on: July 29, 2015, 01:23:28 am »
Iquauit! Do you know anyone up there? One of my friends just flew out of there after a three month stay.

jags

« Reply #51 on: July 29, 2015, 10:18:28 am »
Novel way to get to a gig by bike fair play to them,i'd be more a bob dylan man meself don't understand that opera  stuff  :-[

anto.

John Saxby

« Reply #52 on: July 29, 2015, 03:33:20 pm »
Iqaluit! Do you know anyone up there?
  I don't, Jim; just following the weather news. I used to play rec hockey with a guy from further N & W than Iqaluit. The town has a lot of longterm temp workers from the South.

Novel way to get to a gig by bike
  I was tickled to learn of their cycling opera project, Anto. It's pretty much self-supported: they're four singers & three instrumentalists who have "regular" work during the winter, and they get a small grant from the Gvt of Ontario.  They work with composers who help with arrangements for a scaled-down cast. One of their scores has half-a-dozen bicycle bells in it, and the composer was scouring bike shops, checking the pitch of the various offerings.

Last year, they were plying their trade in SW Ontario.  Easier cycling, for sure, but Cape Breton has a very strong musical culture (Celtic, y'know) and I think they'll get a warm welcome wherever they go, to keep away the damp.

jags

« Reply #53 on: July 29, 2015, 04:45:55 pm »
I'd love to be able to sing it's a great gift to have.you hear people saying sure everyone can sing,  you know and i know thats not the case most of the guys i know who think they can sing CAN@T  bloody crows  ;D ;D
i was at a session one night  this guy who just starting playing the guitar  decided he wanted to sing  Desparado on his own he reckoned he had it of to a  T :o (he murdered it)
when he finished Seanie  old time hippy kinda guy said  its great man to hear a different version of that song  ;D ;D we fell about the place .anyway fair play to those girls i bet they get a great buzz out of it.

anto

jags

« Reply #54 on: July 30, 2015, 04:14:44 pm »
great 20 miler hilly spin this morning might head out tonight on the tandem but i'll give meself an hour before i decide on that one ,little body might have different ideas (bed)
so any of you lads get a spin done this morning.

anto.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #55 on: July 30, 2015, 09:17:06 pm »
Not this morning, though I walked 8km starting at 6am to beat the heat and probably will do so again come evening. Temperatures are supposed to hit 103°F here today, 102° tomorrow, and 101° the day after before falling to "only" 98°F. In metric terms, the highest tops out at 39.4°C, so feels a bit like one of my desert tours. My house was built (1962) in the days before such extreme temperatures hit the US' Pacific Northwest, so no air-conditioning. It is 81°F/27.2°C on the wall thermometer next to me and should read about 87°F/30.5°C by evening. The strategy is to open all the windows and back doors at night and blow in cool air, then close everything up as soon as it starts to warm up again around 7am. Works better than leaving everything open but is not ideal. Builds character.

Trying to walk about 8km minimun everyday to keep the bones healthy. I was astounded to find I had become osteopoenic a few years back with an estimated 28% risk of hip fracture, mostly the result of so much time spent on the bike, which is not considered weight-bearing exercise. So, it is the Shoe Leather Express for me at least once a day, mixed with riding (when the heat subsides just a bit more at week's end).

All the best,

Dan. (...who mourns that feet cannot coast)

Donerol

« Reply #56 on: July 30, 2015, 10:15:04 pm »
Dan. (...who mourns that feet cannot coast)

Roller skates?  ;D

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #57 on: July 30, 2015, 10:33:00 pm »
Good idea!

All the best,

Dan.

jags

« Reply #58 on: July 30, 2015, 10:50:16 pm »
Wow Dan that's sure hot weather i would melp in those temperatures  :o.im a fine one to give advice but get yourself a skipping rope  best exercise of the lot .
when June visited Frank last month they went to stanford uni to see maryann place of work ,they spent most of the day in the cafe because outside was in the high 30's june was quiet happy in the cool air conditioned room  ;D ;D