Author Topic: anything happening lads.  (Read 16531 times)

jags

anything happening lads.
« on: June 11, 2015, 10:29:24 pm »
So anything happening with u lads ,yis are all gone very quiet these days.
anyone sell or going to sell bikes camping gear or planning any trips get married have  kids rob a bank  kill any cats.
as for me i can't plan anything these days my stomach is giving me jip, hospital cancelled my appointment until july typical ::)
but if all goes well  i'll get out tomorrow on the road bike and saturday on the tandem ,
thank god the weather has picked up great for cycling the wee county of Louth .
CLASS.

anto

jags

Re: anything happening lads.
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2015, 12:26:52 pm »
This was my fourth day in the trot on the bike just 25 miles windy yet again, but had to turn for home my back  was aching like never before ,at one stage i was seriously thinking of packing in cycling sure theres no enjoyment i n been in pain every time i go cycling.
but the strong wind had a lot to do with it i suppose bit like cycling up hill most of the time .
so yeah problem now is i promised my stoker Darragh i would go in the morning but I'm just not up to it.so should i tell him to look elsewhere for a new pilot,i don't like letting genuine people down and I'm sure he's really looking forward to getting out tomorrow.
what say you all.
on my own i can go at my own pace  .

anto

JimK

• Interdependent Science
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2015, 01:58:55 pm »
I went out for a ride yesterday with my partner's 21 yr old son. 22 miles with some good hills. Mostly beautiful quite roads. Ha, on the busier road which is still narrow, we got passed by a pair of trailer trucks loaded with half a house each. We were off the road on our bikes, squeezed up against a steep slope. The drivers with their half-houses had to thread between us and a car pulled over on the other side of the road, but not pulled very far over, since there were railings right along the road. There's a creek along one side of the road and a steep slope on the other side. A tight space!

He's been riding a Jamis Trail X mountain bike with moderate contentment. When we got home, we pulled out my old Trek 520 & put some pedals on it and raised the handlebars a touch. Plan is, he'll ride that now. The gears don't go down so low - it's a tough ride on these hills! But people don't want to hear the downsides of whatever vision they've got running through their heads! I guess we'll all get to see!

I've got to go help out with my parents for a few days... I think I'll toss the Brompton in the car so I can do some exploring while I'm there.

in4

« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2015, 03:50:46 pm »
I popped out for a very gentle 22 miler today. Reason for the gentle bit was I've been nursing a dodgy knee for a few weeks and am anxious not to make it worse. Without boring you with the details and diminishing your will to live: I reckon it was cleats and spds what did it! Of course it might be coincidence but I swopped my spds for an old pair of flats ( dmr v8s) and (touch wood) the knee and referred ache is gone. I oiled the pedals up before going out but the sound of rattling bearings was quite painful. On one of the pedals the grub screw for greasing has seized up ( tiny hex key ) so I'll have to think of a way  to coax it out. Fire, ice wd40 brute force, sorcery and cussing: they're all in the tool kit today.

leftpoole

« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2015, 05:09:43 pm »
Well jags, sounds suspiciously like wrong size or type (?) of bike!
Me? Well I cannot ride at present. Heart trouble causing very fat swollen left leg/knee (look it up on Google).
So, reading, enjoying Dorset sunshine and generally feeling rubbish.
This year so far........? Not so good.
Best regards,
John

markbUK

« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2015, 05:33:28 pm »
I seem to be joining others with an enforced cycling break, 6 weeks off due to a op this week, still I've got bits to do on me Mercury and picked up the Thorn exp off eBay, so that's going to be striped and referbished, Inc getting the frame re painted.

I'm hoping I can use the recumbent bike at the gym so I'll be ready to make use of the rest of the summer. I'll leave you to work out which bit of the plumbing needed a re bore!

John .. Certainly sounds like your having a difficult time of it, I hope things get better for you ..

julk

« Reply #6 on: June 13, 2015, 06:16:46 pm »
mark,
good luck with the op this week, hope it all goes well and wish you a speedy and full recovery.
I had my plumbing re-bored 5 years ago, great result, life changing for the better.
julian.

jags

« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2015, 06:49:21 pm »
knees/ heart /back/ stomach / my god we are all a bunch of crocks how the hell do we ever get to ride bikes ;D ;D ;D.
isn't it funny  but u never hear women complain about there aches and pains on this forum ,i guess we lads are one up on them which does'nt happen very often. ;)

oh john me bike is grand neither to big nor to small its the back thats the problem ::)

anto.

bikerta

« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2015, 07:32:35 pm »

isn't it funny  but u never hear women complain about there aches and pains on this forum ,i guess we lads are one up on them which does'nt happen very often. ;)

That's because even though we still have the aches and pains, we don't whinge and whine about them  ;)

Seriously though, sorry to hear about all these medical conditions that are preventing you guys from making the most of the summer months on the bikes we love. Hope things improve as much as is possible for you all soon.

Jackie

bikerta

« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2015, 07:38:58 pm »
Am keeping my fingers crossed for decent weather next weekend, as I have been given a day off on Friday for working loads of hours in my holidays. Will try and work out a route for a short 3 day trip, possibly around New Forest or in Purbecks.

Jackie

in4

« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2015, 07:54:52 pm »
 ;D Brilliant Jackie. Just what was needed to stop a whingefest ! How's that Sherpa of yours fairing?

markbUK

« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2015, 08:21:52 pm »
thanks julian, was done wed out Thursday, and would agree, even now .. Life's going to be a lot better

jags

« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2015, 08:48:52 pm »
lads lads don.t mind jackie complain all yis want i love an ould moan.

anto. ::)

DAntrim

« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2015, 09:02:52 pm »
I've been able to get out every weekend the past few weeks, making the most of the sun for a change, with a nice 50 miles round the cheshire countryside planned for tomorrow.

Just hoping the good weather is here to stay for a month or 3

Carlos

bikerta

« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2015, 09:20:01 pm »
Hi in4. The Sherpa is just fine, but apart from commuting to work each day, I have not ridden it as much as I would like and when I have gone out I realise how much of the fitness I gained last year on my JOGLE, has now gone. I can still climb most of the hills around here, but I cannot do the distance I used to do, so I must make sure that next weekend I don't set my mileage targets too high or I will struggle on the loaded bike.

I have had the Sherpa just over a year now and covered around 3,200 miles. Can't tell exactly as my bike computer suddenly ran out of batteries and on replacing them found all the mileage had been reset.  >:(

Carlos, hope you have a good ride tomorrow. I really enjoyed riding through Cheshire on my trip last summer. Was treated to a full cooked breakfast there by a local church group who were holding a coffee morning and offered me a bed for the night, but unfortunately I needed to get further on at the time so had to say no.

Jags you're right, everyone is entitled to a moan every now and then.