Author Topic: anto's first tandem ride god help me.  (Read 12504 times)

jags

Re: anto's first tandem ride god help me.
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2015, 08:43:09 am »
andy the guy is young so he should easly be ably to follow my cadence which average is 79,i didnt think that gear changes would be an issue,i change gear  pretty regular to keep up my cadence.
im going to get a few spins on it on my own just to get the feel of it.
i hope i get on with this lad  if not i'll strand him out on some lonely road   ;D
only joking.

anto

Andre i'll never make it down that far and if i did i would expect more than half. ;) 

Andybg

« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2015, 11:45:45 am »
jags

Gear changes are not a big issue but you will both want to ease off for the gear change and you will need to see if he finds the sudden change in resistance unnerving without prior warning. I would start with communicating everything and let him tell you what he does and does not need to know,

I am sure it will get easier the more you get to know each other

Andy

jags

« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2015, 12:13:19 pm »
Cheers Andy  im still waiting for his wife to bring the bike down to me maybe they had a change of heart  ::) or it could be the weather is bloody terrible .
ah if he definitly on for it i will give it my best shot.i guess it's a matter of getting to know one another see what happens after that.
if i get the bike i'll ask dan to post it here ok so its not a thorn  but we are all  cyclists.

anto.

lewis noble

« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2015, 12:59:40 pm »
Lots of good advice here, Anto . . . also, agree on which side you will 'stop' towards i.e. which way you will lean, which foot down, when stopping.  Can look a bit untidy otherwise . . . .

Lewis

jags

« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2015, 02:43:33 pm »
yeah Lewis i'll sort all that out with him.hes a big lad so hate to have to lift him off the floor. ::)

anto.

jags

« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2015, 10:10:18 pm »
Well tandem arrieved its a class looking bike but to big for me.myself and son Noel spent the last hour adjusting it to try and get it to fit  but its still half inch to big in the saddle height and a full inch on reach ,i'll try it out later on to see if i can manage it as it is.
fingers crossed it works out  if not hes gonna have to look for another captain  :'(

anto.

jags

« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2015, 11:19:59 pm »
ok first spin done and dusted feels not bad to be honest only adjustment i have left to me is change the stem but i'll go for a good spin tomorrow see how i get on. strange   changing gear as u have to go by feel,  crankset on the rear so no idea what gear im in  ::)
still if it feel right im in the right one  ;),brakes are set up wrong way roung  front on right leaver oh thats bad for anto, i prefair to have it on left leaver the correct way.anyway i sent Dan a few photos not sure if he will post them up seening its not a Thorn  ::)

anyway lads thanks a million for the help and best wishes wish me luck for my first proper spin with the stoker  (see im even learning the lingo. ;) saturday morning is the plan.

anto.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #22 on: June 03, 2015, 01:31:42 am »
i sent Dan a few photos not sure if he will post them up seening its not a Thorn
Anto, I might find a way to make a photo or two accessible to members, but none have yet arrived in my email box. Did you send them?

All the best,

Dan. (...who is delighted to see you discovering the joys of tandeming. They don't make half-bad tourers when ridden solo. Just be mindful of slightly dodgy handling with only the captain's weight at the front)

jags

« Reply #23 on: June 03, 2015, 08:46:02 am »
cheers Dan yeah sent u 2 photos actually i posted them on facebook as well if u fancy going that route. ;) just gonna take it out  for 20 km spin its a lovely morning but windy.anyway better get the gear on before it starts raining.

anto.

jags

« Reply #24 on: June 03, 2015, 01:18:47 pm »
not back long from a 26 milere out for 2 hours very windy in my face for a lot of it  but sure im here to tell the tale  ;)
stillneed to adjust a few things , new saddle wouldn't go a miss  shorter stem and i think i'll  turn the bars   towards me  just a tad ,other than that its a great ride.
my feckin back i s in bits but that's par for the course these days.
of course i got one or two smart remarks .
Here buddy are u missing anything ;D ;D
your buddy fell off  ;D ;D
all in good fun .

anto.

Znook

• Me, Robbie!
« Reply #25 on: June 03, 2015, 08:05:10 pm »
Anto, you've cracked me up with those quips. Have you lost somebody indeed! I like it  ;D

Safe travels to you and your stoker  :)
I'm here, there and everywhere.

jags

« Reply #26 on: June 03, 2015, 08:22:26 pm »
Lost it years ago Znook ;D.
its not very often you would see a tandem in my part of the world seldom if ever, and when a geek like myself goes flying by your always gonna get some wise cracks ,but its all in fun ;D ;D.

anto.

Slammin Sammy

« Reply #27 on: June 05, 2015, 07:38:33 pm »
I'm enjoying this conversation!  ;D

Anto, have you taken your passenger for a spin yet? My mate captains for a national champion blind triathlete/iron man, who is massively strong and totally fearless. Their training runs are often upwards of 200km! The experience has profoundly changed my friend's riding abilities and fitness.

Just look at it this way - you're suddenly gifted with a much younger pair of legs, and the two of you can't argue about which route to take.  ;)

jags

« Reply #28 on: June 05, 2015, 08:29:57 pm »
Hi Sam yeah buddy tomorrow is the big day ,i spoke to my new cycling partener earlier  hes really looking forward to getting out. ah the weather is for sun and very strong west winds  which mean easy out hard back :o

i kinda have a route in my head not many hills few drags and only a few  dodgy turns.
jazus im more nervous that he is ;D ;D i just hope my  back doesn't cave in  i would love for this partenership to work out well at least until his wife is ready to get back cycling .

anto ;)

jags

« Reply #29 on: June 05, 2015, 08:35:20 pm »
hold on lads my grandaughter wants to say something.

i am Chloe Byrne ::) i like to colour all day and i like to play out in the street all day on mondays,i like to eat my dinner and unicorns  they can fly and do magic  ;)
going to get my tea goodbuy everyone. ;D ;D

aw man shes class.

anto.