Author Topic: anto's first tandem ride god help me.  (Read 12513 times)

jags

anto's first tandem ride god help me.
« on: June 01, 2015, 01:27:56 pm »
Well looks like i'm gonna be doing my first ever tandem ride with a blind person.
going to meet him today for a chat see if we can work out a plan ,so any tips from you lot would be greatly appreciated  do's and dont's . no smart answers i know what your thinking  ;D ;D
yeah should be interesting as its my first time on one of these bikes (terry Dolan custom ) no idea how the gears work do i need to call out everything  or is it just like a guy sucking your wheel  im used to that in the local group. ;)
anyway wish me luck  hope to do first spin either wed or thurs evening. 8).

nice bit of advice so far from Dan  still no harm in a bit more.

anto.

Donerol

Re: anto's first tandem ride god help me.
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2015, 03:28:16 pm »
Communication is important!!!!

The first time I rode on the back of a tandem, the pilot kicked the pedals round without warning, ready to set off. My pedals turned too and cracked me on the shin - ouch!

Oh, and you need to allow a bit more space for turning, like driving a long lorry. I was once nearly scraped off on a park gatepost.

So I'm thinking, god help your stoker!   :D

jags

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2015, 03:32:53 pm »
just had a good chat with my new cycling buddy  he more or less said the same  swing wide and call out potholes , jazus i could be  shouting at him every 50 yds  HOLE  ;D
whats worrying me is the balance  i reckon if we get right  all should be well.  ;)

fossala

« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2015, 04:24:37 pm »
I ride with my Son (kiddyback tandem) and my misses has jumped on the back once or twice. Both people I didn't have to think about balancing at all.

jags

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2015, 04:36:38 pm »
you make it sund easy hope your right. ;)

anto

fossala

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2015, 04:40:07 pm »
I did practice with my son first who is only 8 (was 6 when first bought) so I guess I got eased into it. I don't like riding tandems but it gives me and my son an activity to do together. This isn't because they are bad, it's because I like riding by myself.

jags

« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2015, 05:15:45 pm »
well it's a first for me , his wife is going to take it down to me later today or tomorrow so as i can set it up for myself, so i'll take it around the block  to see how  it handles,
yeah should be interesting to say the least  ;D ;D.

anto

RA1

« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2015, 05:34:18 pm »
Hello Anto
Hope it goes well
My wife is Visually Impaired (registered blind) and we ride a Thorn tandem.
It's great fun - but as already said, communication is the key.
I actually think my wife makes a better stoker than I would - she doesn't try to steer which is a huge advantage!
So keep talking  ;) and don't forget you're a long vehicle!
Rob

David Simpson

« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2015, 05:40:12 pm »
Thumbs up to your blind friend! It takes a lot of courage to get on a bike when you can't see where you are going. I'm not sure if I could do that.

- Dave

jags

« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2015, 05:41:45 pm »
Cheers Rob yeah i will have to keep that in mind because if im in a group at speed i wont break going around corners flat out as the man said  ;) guess im gonna have to slow up.
mind u this guy is young and i reckon strong but if i'm in control he  will have to ride at my speed (wont he) :o
side note the weather here today is unreal  lashing rain galeforce rain  when are we gonna get some good weather.

anto.

jags

« Reply #10 on: June 01, 2015, 05:43:52 pm »
Dave he was doing a good bit with his wife  but shes expecting there 2ed child , i reckon they were just doddling along once i get used to this if it works out he's in for some hairy rides. ;)

anto

David Simpson

« Reply #11 on: June 01, 2015, 06:09:07 pm »
Can he tell if you are pedalling or not?   ;)

- Dave

jags

« Reply #12 on: June 01, 2015, 06:16:42 pm »
hah no idea.

Andre Jute

« Reply #13 on: June 01, 2015, 11:35:58 pm »
Good luck, Anto. If you and your blind buddy pass me on the road, I'll give you half the credit.

Andybg

« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2015, 05:20:22 am »
Good luck Jags

I started riding a tandem with the wife about 2 years ago after solo riding for 30 years so it was quite a shock.

First issue was trying to find a comfortable cadence that both of us were happy with. I prefer top side of 100 and the wife prefers bottom side of 80 so this was not that easy to achieve.

The second thing is communication. Every gear change, every start of pedaling, every length of coast needs announcing. Sort of like "and coast in 3 , 2 ,1"

Starting off and getting going is the most difficult bit and needs practicing on a quite, flat road. Once you are up to speed it gets pretty stable and all should be good.

We found over time that less and less communication was needed and more chance to enjoy a chat about other things than just keeping the bike moving.

Have fun

Andy