Author Topic: Tandem prop stand recommendations?  (Read 8993 times)

eager2learn

Tandem prop stand recommendations?
« on: May 26, 2015, 09:15:22 pm »
Nervous about damaging the frame of my Raven Twin.  What experiences have others had?

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
Re: Tandem prop stand recommendations?
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2015, 10:58:59 pm »
On my tandem, I use the Click-Stand, as I do on my single bikes...I've run into no problems due to the extra length or weight of the tandem.

In this application, I dispense with the supplied small bungees or my preferred BrakeBrake bands ( http://www.bikebrake.com/ ) to lock-up the brakes while propped on the stand. My tandem has an Arai drag brake actuated by a SunTour bar-end shifter, so I just lock-up the drag brake and the bike stays nice and steady on its stand.

Use the Forum's search function to check out others' thoughts about the Click-Stand. Website here: http://www.click-stand.com/

The fellow who makes them -- Tom Nostrant -- is one of the nicest people in the industry.

Best,

Dan.

John Saxby

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2015, 02:02:39 am »
+1 for the Click-Stand, although I use it on my solo bikes. 

Only change I'd make, if I were buying it again, would be to get one with five rather than four sections -- that would make it easier to stow in my handlebar bag.

It's not perfect--some folks prefer the fixed side-stands, others just don't much like the separate unpack-it-and-fix-it routine--but it works for me.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2015, 02:25:02 am »
Only change I'd make, if I were buying it again, would be to get one with five rather than four sections -- that would make it easier to stow in my handlebar bag.
Good suggestion!

John,

I also went this route on my second one and found it even more usable and just as robust. It also fits more securely in the velcro/plastic mount that goes under a water bottle, also offered by Click-Stand. The one on my Nomad mounts to the left side of the topside downtube bottle bosses, as I don't always take my handlebar bag. When I do, the five-segment model does indeed fit inside more easily then the four-segment version I had earlier.

All the best,

Dan.

Mike Ayling

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2015, 07:44:45 am »
Nervous about damaging the frame of my Raven Twin.  What experiences have others had?

+1 for click stand.
I bought it for a single bike but it works well on the Raven twin.
I use a couple of strips of double sided velcro to lock the brakes (actually most of the time I only lock the front wheel)

Mike

Slammin Sammy

« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2015, 06:48:02 pm »
+1 for click stand.
I bought it for a single bike but it works well on the Raven twin.
I use a couple of strips of double sided velcro to lock the brakes (actually most of the time I only lock the front wheel)

Mike

The missus and I also use double-sided Velcro on our comfort bar-equipped Thorns. The ClickStand bungies work well on our drop bar Treks, but not so much on the former.

Re: the 5 vs 4 segment discussion: We use 4, which go into our HB bags fine, but are sometimes crowded out to other accessible positions. Interestingly, although Tom stresses on his site getting the length right, I have had no trouble using the stands originally ordered for the Treks with the Thorn bikes' very different geometries ( including her step-through Raven).