Author Topic: Tick tick tick  (Read 3268 times)

AndyE

Tick tick tick
« on: May 23, 2015, 04:21:09 pm »
Hi all I'm getting a very annoying tick tick tick from either the front changer or from the chain rings on the down stroke with my right foot. It seems more intense when under load on climbing a slight incline (all we have locally) I have had the Sherpa on the stand and I am unable to replicate this tick tick. There are no stiff links, there is no rubbing from the chain with the front changer with any of the chain rings.  All changers up and down are smooth, and the bottom bracket is ok, I have done less than 300 Km on this bike.

Anyone have any ideas what it could be?

Andy. 

Doncaster in deepest South of Yorkshire

DAntrim

Re: Tick tick tick
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2015, 04:26:01 pm »
I had the same on my CT after 2200 miles - but the left downstroke, turned out to be the pedal had shed the grease and needed re-greasing, if you have another set of pedals swop them over and see if it makes any difference

Carlos

jags

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2015, 05:41:53 pm »

AndyE

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2015, 06:07:19 pm »
Thanks lads. I dont think it was the grease in peddles Carlos, but an interesting theory and one I will keep an eye on. Anto that's a grate read. The passage about the chain rings in particular sounds the culprit , although it is a metallic noise and not a creak, the creaking could well be my old knees  ;D

Andy ( who has donned a white lab coat and investigating further)
Doncaster in deepest South of Yorkshire

in4

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2015, 07:34:03 pm »
I might have been down a similar road myself recently. I first checked my pedals and swopped them for another pair for an emliminator. Next I tightened my chain rings; very slightly in fact. Lastly I took a crank off slapped some grease in and for good measure flipped the Nomad over, undid the screw 'neath the bb and put a dab of grease in their too. Problem solved! My new creak is from either my hip joints or the springs on my Brooks Conquest!

Rockymountain

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2015, 07:42:28 pm »
I got an annoying tick when on tour a couple of years ago on my Nomad. I eventually tracked it down to a noisy Cateye Strada - every time the spike magnet passed the 'sender' on the forks it made an electrical clicking noise (not due to the two catching on each other). The sound was amplified by my front panniers directing it upwards.