Author Topic: Snack Bag Recommendation Needed  (Read 9575 times)

Templogin

Snack Bag Recommendation Needed
« on: May 22, 2015, 11:34:54 am »
Hi Folks

Just buying the last few items for my tour and I have decided that I should nibble stuff whilst I ride: nuts, dried fruit etc., so it would be useful to have something top tube mounted as I may just be wearing a t-shirt (no pockets) on top.

Any recommendations on a fairly sizeable one, and do they have a proper name?  Alpkit call them fuel pods, but they are out of stock, strangely enough!

Thanks a lot

Andy

Kuba

Re: Snack Bag Recommendation Needed
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2015, 12:02:36 pm »
I've got the medium Alpkit fuel pod on my large-size xtc. It seems very well made, though haven't tried it in heavy rain. Easy to mount, stable, good size and looks nice! I considered the large one but in hindsight happy I went for medium. I'd give them a bell to check availability, they make then here in the UK and maybe can put you in a waiting list.

Have no experience with other brands.

Templogin

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2015, 12:44:48 pm »
Thanks a lot Kuba.  I probably haven't the time to wait for them to sort something out.  I have though discovered that SJS call them top tube bags, which makes perfect sense.  I have also seen them called energy bags.

jags

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2015, 01:07:58 pm »
just make sure what ever u buy its waterproof nothing worse than soggy nuts ;D

fossala

« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2015, 01:19:46 pm »
I use this one by topeak. http://www.topeak.com/products/bags/TriBag_raincover
Works as advertised as you can see here.

Templogin

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2015, 02:22:16 pm »
What size is yours Fossala?  If you don't mind me asking!  And what do you normally get in there?

.... I have just bought the medium one from Amazon.  Can't complain at under a tenner.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2015, 03:09:44 pm by Templogin »

fossala

« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2015, 03:05:47 pm »
My bike is 537L (I'm 5ft10 with 30" leg). At the moment I've got an innertube and tyre levers as I'm commuting. While I'm touring I keep my phone (s5), a spare battery and double AA battery charger. I use it as an waterproof case to carry electricals to charge with my plug III. What are you looking at carrying? Maybe I have something similar I can check for size/take pictures.

Templogin

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2015, 03:11:30 pm »
That's kind.  I am sorted now - see my amendment to the last post.

Thanks

Andy
Shetland

fossala

« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2015, 03:19:26 pm »
Yeah, I got mine from wiggle for 9quid after my Dad and a local cycling bloke I know both thought theirs where good enough to recommend.

mickeg

« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2015, 03:37:35 pm »
I saw your note that you already bought one at Amazon.  But instead of hitting the delete key, I am leaving this text for future reference if others look thru this for options.

I recently got one of these, have not used it yet as I bought it specifically for touring.  The price was right.  But I do not know if they are available in your country (I do not know where you are).  Stuff from China on Ebay can take a month or more for shipping, so if in a hurry this will not work for you.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/271849382120

fossala

« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2015, 03:39:06 pm »
I saw your note that you already bought one at Amazon.  But instead of hitting the delete key, I am leaving this text for future reference if others look thru this for options.

I recently got one of these, have not used it yet as I bought it specifically for touring.  The price was right.  But I do not know if they are available in your country (I do not know where you are).  Stuff from China on Ebay can take a month or more for shipping, so if in a hurry this will not work for you.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/271849382120
It doesn't say it's waterproof have you tested it?

markbUK

« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2015, 04:10:48 pm »
I use the same tri bag, easily holds a whole bag of jelly babies!

jags

« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2015, 04:16:11 pm »
the toepeak is good but it will take the paint off the top tube it did on mine  so put some rubber on the bottom on the bag  ;)

StuntPilot

• Tour on a Bike
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2015, 05:36:31 pm »
Having purchased a Brooks B17 waxed cotton saddle waterproof cover from these folks I would recommend their Bartender Bag. Thinking of going for one myself. Great quality and well made if they are anything like the saddle cover.

http://randijofab.com/collections/bags/products/bartender-bag

mickeg

« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2015, 07:16:08 pm »
It doesn't say it's waterproof have you tested it?

Have not tested it.  Zipper is plain fabric.  Rest of it is nylon, similar to back pack type nylon fabrics.  I do not recall if the nylon is coated or not, but since the zipper will not keep out water, no it is not water proof.

I wanted to use it on my Nomad, but I have a very odd Rohloff shifter placement on that bike.  That bag would get in the way of my shifter on my Nomad, so can't use it on that bike.  I can use it on my Sherpa on bike tours, but have not taken any tours since I bought it.