Author Topic: Insurance in the States??  (Read 20014 times)

Istanbul_Tea

Insurance in the States??
« on: December 08, 2003, 04:03:37 pm »
We rent an apartment would we better off having our bikes covered through renters insurance or is there any bike-specific insurance available in the US?

trent88

Re: Insurance in the States??
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2006, 07:00:00 am »

Better have your bikes covered in your renters insurance and find another bike insurance for your bikes.
i always recommend www.oneshopinsurance.com (if you're still looking for insurance)they insure a lot of property for me, my clients, great service, fantastic rates, what more do you need?

Let me know how you get on.

Hope this is of some use to you.

grahamketty

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2009, 08:04:55 am »
Better have your bikes covered in your renters insurance and find another bike insurance for your bikes.
i always recommend www.oneshopinsurance.com (if you're still looking for insurance)they insure a lot of property for me, my clients, great service, fantastic rates, what more do you need?

yes, I agree with what you have suggested. Even i visited that site, its really good and really affordable and useful. Thanks a lot for that.

kitlane

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2009, 09:01:02 am »
yes, I agree with what you have suggested. Even i visited that site, its really good and really affordable and useful. Thanks a lot for that.
I think you are having some sort of information regarding the subject. It would be helpful if you provide me with that info. Thanks in advance.

johnmoorish

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2010, 11:50:45 am »

Thanks for providing the same. I even recommend www.usinsuranceonline.com/ for auto insurance purpose. Hope this helps.

Henryka

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2011, 09:13:15 am »
Surprisingly in such a growing segment of the insurance market, US Based Insurers haven’t yet recognised the fact that consumers are looking for; and desiring Bicycle Insurance. In the US,  the best place to start are,  state or regional cycling associations who quite often can provide the necessary bicycle insurance as part of their membership fees. Looking under the membership section of these sites, gives you a start on what’s available and links to an association in your local area.

Prinsen

« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2011, 09:30:22 am »
There are several avenues people can follow to try and find the right bicycle liability insurance.

Depending on what type of  insurance you specifically want, the option of upgrading your ordinary home and contents insurance or renters insurance might actually be the best way to insure your bike. The cost is generally relatively cheap and, general insurers will normally quote you based on how many additional $thousands you wish to increase your coverage by.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2011, 11:57:48 pm »
For US residents, former insurance agent and longtime cycling enthusiast Josh Putnam has posted some information about what types of insurance cover bicycle loss, and at what level.  Some of the information is rather sobering.  For example, he states...

"The default for many policies is to pay Actual Cash Value (ACV) for personal property. ACV is, loosely speaking, what the item is actually worth given its age. A ten year old bicycle, for example, would be valued at the cost of a new bicycle minus ten years' depreciation."  For those of us with well-loved, pristine older bikes, this is a bit discouraging. 

However, he goes on to say...

"Replacement cost coverage for personal property values an item at the actual cost of a new replacement item. That same ten year old bicycle would be valued at the cost of a new bicycle of similar quality."

Yet...

"But insurance generally does not pay the full value of the loss. Your policy will typically have a deductible, maybe $100, maybe $1000, depending on what you chose when you bought the policy."

Lots of good, thought-provoking information from Josh...

http://www.phred.org/~josh/bike/bike_insure.html

Best,

Dan.