Author Topic: Beware Grizzly rims!  (Read 19417 times)

jags

Re: Beware Grizzly rims!
« Reply #30 on: November 27, 2016, 09:26:55 pm »
Those rims look knackered to my eye,contact the makers maybe they will replace them ,worth a try.

anto.

jul

« Reply #31 on: November 28, 2016, 02:40:58 pm »
I written to Ryde company, see if they want to send me a new rim   :)

Otherwise, it maybe repairable with a aluminum welding ?

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #32 on: November 28, 2016, 03:38:00 pm »
I written to Ryde company, see if they want to send me a new rim
Nothing ventured, nothing gained, and it can't hurt to try. That said, it is possible Ryde may claim the cracks are evidence of past overpressure and so deny the claim. If this happens, you are at a dead end with them.
Rims are extrusions and solution heat-treated (grain structure normalizing as they are formed, then cool as they are wrapped in a hoop after emerging from the die).While it is possible to TiG-weld the seam (crack), it would be hard to control for localized heat distortion and very difficult to grind the resulting bead flat within the confines of the rim well. 

If you have a TiG welder and want to do it as a hobby, fine. However, for the cost and effort required, I think it would be better to replace the rims with something else and call it a day.

All the best,

Dan.

jags

« Reply #33 on: November 28, 2016, 03:50:09 pm »
i would not trust  a weld on those cracks ,to be honest i would bin them  put them down to ex perience  :'(

mickeg

« Reply #34 on: November 28, 2016, 06:12:48 pm »
I written to Ryde company, see if they want to send me a new rim   :)

Do you want to be going down a hill at 30 km/hour when you find out that the weld was not as good as you were hoping it was?

jags

« Reply #35 on: November 28, 2016, 06:23:21 pm »
 ;)too true

bobs

« Reply #36 on: November 29, 2016, 12:51:26 am »
Not unless you like hospital food.

bikerwaser

« Reply #37 on: April 30, 2017, 03:08:16 pm »
Just recently had a crack develop in my rear Ryde Grizzly.
It was either side of the valve hole.
They only had 2000 miles on them.
I contacted SJS and after sending them a couple of photos and a phone call they kindly sent me a new wheel out to France where i am.
I mentioned in a previous post on this thread that the build quality of these new named "Ryde" rims dont't look anywhere near as good as the previous "Rigida" incarnation.
My previous Rigida Grizzlys had a final total of 16,000 miles on them before i changed them( they probably had a few more thousand on them too).  They were as true as the day i bought them with the bike.
Others that are quoting high mileage are also probably talking about the Rigida version not te Ryde version, which are noticably different in quality build.

Why do companies do this ? They have a good reputaion and then sell out and try to go cheap.

Well done to SJS / Thorn for the replacement though. At least I can count on them.

JimK

• Interdependent Science
« Reply #38 on: April 30, 2017, 07:07:51 pm »
I just passed 16,000 miles on my original (Swiss blue) brake blocks! I don't pay any attention to my rims! Rigida Andra 30.

Sorry to hear about your Grizzlies. That is really disappointing!