Author Topic: Himalayas  (Read 5947 times)

mattwhitford

Himalayas
« on: February 22, 2007, 01:57:21 pm »
Hello mountain lovers

I'm going to the Indian Himalayas in the summer and I'm after some tips/advice about cycling at altitude.  There doesn't seem to be much on the web for cyclists.  Plenty about trekking and climbing though.

I've read loads of stuff about AMS and HAPE, etc., and I'm aware of what needs to be done to acclimatise and prevent illness, but I'm just looking for some anecdotes about cycle touring at 4500M+ and how all the mountains of advice out there can be tailored to cyclists.

Has anybody cycled in Ladakh? I'm going to riding in the Spitti valley and the Manali-Leh area. Any input appreciated.

Cheers
Matt

AndrewClark

Re: Himalayas
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2007, 10:46:41 pm »
I was going to refer you to this thread http://www.cyclingplus.co.uk/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=120415 but then I noticed that you started it........!

I'm off to do Manali - Leh in August on one of Cass Gilberts tours. There is some advice on his site http://www.out-there-biking.com/acclimatisation.html

AndrewClark

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2007, 10:55:09 pm »
You should also ask on the Lonely Planet Thorn Tree forum

http://thorntree.lonelyplanet.com/categories.cfm?catid=32

Some very experienced high mountain tourists post there.

Hamish

« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2007, 11:55:03 pm »
Matt

Some friends and I cycled from Srinagar to Leh and then into Padum, Zanskar back in 1988.  We spent 10 weeks there exploring side routes as well as the main road.

We had no problems with altitude at all.  Cycling seems to be a good way of acclimatising. Obviously we were short of breath at the tops of the passes but no hint of AMS or CO/PO.

I have had AMS climbing in the Andes so I know I am not immune.

PS it was one of the best holidays we have had.

Hamish

mattwhitford

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2007, 10:02:39 am »
Hamish, that's really encouraging.  Thanks
Matt

daviddd55

• 19500km Circuit of Australia 07/08
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2007, 10:10:01 am »
Hi Matt - have a look at this guy - he crossed from China to Tibet to India earlier this year (he's still in India and posting to this blog every few days). I've been 'following' him for about 6 months now, he's cycling from Japan to UK.
http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/?o=1gci&doc_id=985&v=2GK
« Last Edit: April 14, 2007, 10:11:23 am by daviddd55 »

mattwhitford

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2007, 12:48:03 pm »
Thanks David.  Great site - looks very inspiring!  Fantastic roads.  Life's too short to sit in an office

Matt

Manish

« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2007, 12:45:37 am »
Dear Matt,

I am also plannig for a cycling tour from Manali to Leh in August and planning to go all on my own (no agency), would like to know if you would be interested. We can discuss once you show the interest. I am from India and I live in New Delhi. I work for Travelport (parent company to EBookers.com). Please write back to me, even if your answer is No.

Regards,
Manish.
arora.1890@gmail.com

(anybody reading this blog, please feel free to contact if any such plans)

quote:
Originally posted by mattwhitford

Hello mountain lovers

I'm going to the Indian Himalayas in the summer and I'm after some tips/advice about cycling at altitude.  There doesn't seem to be much on the web for cyclists.  Plenty about trekking and climbing though.

I've read loads of stuff about AMS and HAPE, etc., and I'm aware of what needs to be done to acclimatise and prevent illness, but I'm just looking for some anecdotes about cycle touring at 4500M+ and how all the mountains of advice out there can be tailored to cyclists.

Has anybody cycled in Ladakh? I'm going to riding in the Spitti valley and the Manali-Leh area. Any input appreciated.

Cheers
Matt