Author Topic: cable splitter surprise  (Read 4920 times)

JimK

• Interdependent Science
cable splitter surprise
« on: April 29, 2015, 03:13:57 am »
As I was pulling into our car port today to hang my bike back up after a ride... whoa, my back brake failed, what??? Did the cable snap somehow or what???

Ach, I have a cable splitter between the arms of my rear brake - part of the whole S&S coupler scheme to split the bike. Somehow that cable splitter decided to split. Did somebody fiddle with that along the way at some point or did it just slowly and spontaneously undo itself? Couldn't have picked a better time and place to fail, that's for sure. My brakes get plenty of use in much more critical situations!

Anyway, just a reminder for folks with cable splitters on their brake cables... check those splitters regularly!

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
Re: cable splitter surprise
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2015, 04:54:27 am »
Good reminder, Jim! Glad it happened where it did.

Did the cable splitter itself come unscrewed, or was it one of the little cable anchor screws?

Also a good idea to periodically check the S&S Couplers for proper tightness. They are very reliable, but should they ever need maintenance, these links should help:
http://www.davincitandems.com/owners-manual/ss-coupler-maintenance/
http://co-motion.com/index.php/faq/faq_entry/do-ss-couplers-require-maintenance
The only hint of trouble with them seems to come if they get dirty when uncoupled. Then, a cleanup and regreasing with a fluro grease is the "cure".

Best,

Dan.

mickeg

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2015, 12:40:49 pm »
When I bought my S&S Nomad frame, it came with a cable splitter and I could not figure out where to install the splitter. Thanks for solving the mystery.  It never occurred to me that the splitter could go between the brake arms on a V brake.  I use cantilever on the back, I can remove the rear brake cable without tools by unhooking the cable yoke from the straddle cable, no splitter needed.

I do not recall, is the cable splitter threaded together or is it a quick release type of connecter?  A century ago when most water and oil wells were drilled with cable tool drilling rigs, they used left hand lay cable on the rigs to avoid having their below ground drilling tools unthread during use.  The constant tightening and loosening of the cable would loosen the fittings if a right hand lay cable was used, but a left hand lay cable would keep the tools threaded on tight.

On my S&S couplers, I wrapped electrical tape around each end of the S&S nut to keep dirt and crud out of the coupling.  It also keeps it from unthreading.  I have removed the tape a couple times to check that they were still tight and they were.  The snow and slush in the photo really makes it clear how much crud the lower coupling is exposed to while riding.

alfie1952

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2015, 02:14:48 pm »
Jim,

I am in the process of building up a nomad with s/s couplers, and do not want a cable splitter at the rear brake as I think it's another thing to go wrong. If my rst had s/s couplers with internal gearing I could imagine fitting them on the gear cables. Do you find you use it when you split the bike ?.

Regards Alfie

JimK

• Interdependent Science
« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2015, 04:45:19 pm »
For sure that splitter is essential when splitting the bike. There is probably some other way to disconnect the rear brake, but the cable splitter there works very well... apart from this one little surprise. But in the grand scheme of things, this was a very minor bit of trouble.

The splitter I have is just a threaded thing. It just got unthreaded somehow. I never check it, so I have no idea how that happened! I will now start checking, though! It's really easy to see, so a two second glance when I am mounting my saddlebag, that ought to do. Yeah and a glance when I am putting my lock back in its little pouch that's mounted behind the seat tube... I'm right there already.

This kind of thing reminds me of my experience with work situations, where the various rules and procedures tend to reflect quite accurately the organization's history of crises and disasters.

julk

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2015, 05:50:17 pm »
alfie,
I had an exp with S&S couplers on the frame.
The rear brake splitter was very easy to use and quite safe, mine never came undone.
It fitted between the brake arms of v-brakes in stead of a short stretch of cable.

Just make sure you get the short splitter http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/jtek-cable-splitter-for-inner-brake-wire-short-black-prod15571/.
My exp came with a longer one fitted and this caused the rear brake to lose function as the blocks wore down and I had to pulllll more cable to get the brake on.
Fitting the short one sorted this out.
You will also need an extra brake inner as the splitter uses a nipple end of the cable for the right side.
Julian.

alfie1952

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2015, 05:55:17 pm »
Thanks for  that Jim, you had posted a photograph of the splitter in situ earlier. Very neat job it is too.

Regards Alfie

alfie1952

« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2015, 06:02:25 pm »
Julk,

Seems like a positive move to fit a splitter. The photograph of Jims, shows quite a neat job. My idea was to disconnect at the brake arm and fit a band around the arms, pulling them together, the brake cable could be cable tied to the frame.

Alfie