Author Topic: What stove for European tour ?  (Read 3632 times)

stanley

What stove for European tour ?
« on: February 21, 2007, 12:04:07 pm »
Looking for some advice here,
I'm off around Spain, France, Italy, Slovenia, Switzerland, Austria and Germany this Summer (on the new RT).

I have a couple of lightweight stoves but they both use the screw type cannisters.
Are these going to be available abroad, or do I need to invest in something else ?

If so, then what ?

Thanks in advance

john28july

Re: What stove for European tour ?
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2007, 01:03:13 pm »
Hello,
MSR are a very sensible choice. Multi fuel rocks!
John.
www.pbase.com/john28july

stutho

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2007, 02:49:11 pm »
Yep I'll second that vote for MSR I find that cooking on a multi-fuel stove very reassuring - you can get petrol nearly anywhere! I also find that petrol cooks a lot quicker than gas cartridge.  Only down side is that it is not the sort so stove to let a young teenager loose on.  It needs respect. It also needs to be cleaned occasionally.

I’ve got an older model similar to the wisperlight International. My burner & pump sits neatly inside my pans and I put the fuel bottle in my bottom water bottle cage.    

Good luck with your trip

piggling bland

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2007, 09:41:47 pm »
Alcohol works well in France and was available in big supermarkets whenever I looked for it.  I used a mini Trangia, which packs up well, but may use my new < 1 oz Vargo Triad next time.

Alcool ŕ brulé is so much better than the safety stuff we have in Britain that I always try to bring some back.

dokotela

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2007, 04:30:07 pm »
Hi Stanley,

In my limited experience screw on canisters are freely avalable in France and Italy. I am sure you'll find them elsewhere in Europe too.

AndrewClark

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2007, 07:31:44 pm »
Can't see the point in using petrol/paraffin in Europe at all. Gas & meths is easy to find, cleaner & safer.

I've used a Trangia in UK,France, Norway, Iceland and Ireland. Totally reliable, very safe and the only time I had finding meths was in Ireland where you have to get it from chemists & sign the poisons book!

If you got for a gas stove I think you can get adaptors which let you use a "bluet" type pierceable cartridge with a screw thread gas stove. If you can't find screw thread canisters in France try a "bricolage" DIY store. They'll be in the plumbing section but may be the tall narrow cylinders.

One thing to be aware of: I've heard stories about people being unable to take their stoves on airlines. Probably a good idea to ask in a busier forum (Cycling+ Tours & Expedition) and check with the airline if flying.