Author Topic: Seeking Fatter Tyres Than 2 inch  (Read 8623 times)

JimK

• Interdependent Science
Re: Seeking Fatter Tyres Than 2 inch
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2015, 09:06:27 pm »
I've been shopping a bit at bike24.com - the shipping to the USA is pretty steep, but it's a flat rate. So I bundle up my needs (wants!) for bigger orders!

Slammin Sammy

« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2015, 01:03:11 am »
Hi guys,

I've been off the grid for a few days dealing with a storm that smashed us on Tuesday. no power or phones for part of that time.

Just to wrap up: I ride a Nomad Mk2 with Andra 30 rims, and I will take mickeg's point about rim width under advisement. I expect to try the Smart Sams next week (the storm has played havoc with businesses and freight).

Long term, I had thought about getting a suspension fork for the bike, and came VERY close to buying the Magura fork that was for sale here some months back, but it's lower down the priority list at the moment, as I already own an extremely capable GT hardtail MTB with hydraulic discs, etc. which can handle the bikepacking trips.

I am certainly aware and a customer of all of the online shops mentioned. I haven't yet looked for the 26x2.0 folding Extremes on the German sites, but so far have only found them in stock at SJS. I'll continue the search today.

I'm rebuilding my wheels after yet another spoke explosion. See the separate thread.

mickeg

« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2015, 03:20:22 am »
Some of the sites where I recently had seen the 2.25 width Extremes appear to be out of stock.  Since that tire is discontinued, maybe the retailers are finally running out.  My 2.0 width Extreme I got several years ago, but the 2.25 (or 57mm) width seemed to stay in stock much longer after they quit making them.

I've been shopping a bit at bike24.com - the shipping to the USA is pretty steep, but it's a flat rate. So I bundle up my needs (wants!) for bigger orders!

Bike24 is where I bought my Rohloff.  With shipping to USA it was a lot less than it would have cost from a USA source.

revelo

« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2015, 06:39:15 pm »
I'm not sure what you mean by "offroad". If lots of sand, the 57-559 (2.25") Extremes will be slightly better than the 55-559 (2.15") Mondials. If lots of rocks, the Mondials have much heavier sidewalls. Schwalbe width specs are to be taken with a grain of salt. However, if you actually look at inflated 57-559 Extremes versus inflated 55-559 Mondials, you will see the Extremes are significantly wider. The Extreme also has a more aggressive tread, so will run better on dirt but worse on pavement. Extreme is lighter weight and hence will accelerate faster.

I run into a mix of sand and rock and pavement. I definitely want all the sidewall protection I can get from those rocks, and that gives a big plus for the Mondials. When I hit true sand, the Extremes would not help over the Mondials. I'd be pushing in either case. For dirt, I tour with a full load and don't ride aggressively, so don't need good grip, so the tread on the Extremes is no advantage. For pavement, the Mondial is better.  I don't care about rapid acceleration, just steady speed on the flats, and tire weight makes little difference when not accelerating. All things considered, Mondial 55-559 is best for me, mainly because of the sturdier sidewalls.

[edit to fix a type re specs]
« Last Edit: July 31, 2015, 06:47:49 am by revelo »

Vintagetourer

« Reply #19 on: August 03, 2015, 09:45:54 pm »
Here's another, albeit late, vote for Smart Sams for Slammin Sammy. I used them for the Gibb River Rd ride.

They were excellent for the extremely rough conditions but also good for the short sections of sealed road. The tread pattern is cleverly set to give a smooth run on asphalt.

Beware though the clearance on the rear is very close. That is on my Sherpa, they are a very tight fit.

More here:
http://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/page/pic/?pic_id=1648495