Author Topic: Salsa Anything cage on Thorn XTC  (Read 11188 times)

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
Re: Salsa Anything cage on Thorn XTC
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2015, 05:25:21 pm »
..unless you are in the UK or other places using imperial measurements
Yet another reason I need to relocate!  :D

All the best,

Dan.

macspud

« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2015, 10:44:59 pm »
Dan. (...who remembers "a pint's a pound the whole world 'round" and a kilogram for every liter)

Quite true-ish, unless it's not a US pint of course..... ;)

...unless you are in the UK or other places using imperial measurements, where a pint is 20oz or 1 1/4 pounds

:D  :D

Ish, an Imperial pint is 20 fl oz but a fl oz of water does not weigh 1 oz
1 fl oz = 29.5735296 ml = 29.5735296g
1 oz = 28.3495g
 ;)
That's why the metric system is so much more simple to use, lol.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2015, 11:06:26 pm by macspud »

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2015, 11:19:41 pm »
That's why the metric system is so much more simple to use, lol.
I've been pining for it seemingly forever, but have doubts it will "happen" here ('Merka). Until it does, we'll stumble along as one of the two remaining (Luddite) nation-states who have rejected metrics.

<sigh> Pet peeve of mine.

All the best and yours in liters,

Dan.

Kuba

Monkii Gorilla cage on Thorn XTC
« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2015, 12:16:43 pm »
Just a quick update on the Monkii Gorilla cage... I put it on my XTC a couple of weeks ago, the fuller information on the bike (and rides) is here: http://www.thorncycles.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=10723.msg78067;topicseen#msg78067

The Gorilla is ace, many thanks to Bobs who first brought it to my attention. It cost me over £20 quid but well worth it. I mounted ut on the down tube with just 2 bosses and carried a 1kg tent plus Zefal pump in it. Remained rock-solid over 180 miles on tarmac and some rough roads too. In hindsight, I would have specified a third cage boss before the bike was painted. Oh well.

The plastic frame of the cage is not very stiff so without the third boss it rests on the down tube, but I put a bit of vinyl film where it touches the frame to prevent it rubbing off the enamel.

I would think it's perfectly capable of supporting up to 1.5kg with two bosses, as per its spec. With three it might handle even more.

Yet to see how it performs over months/years to come. There's little to go wrong, if anything the mounting system may become less tight with time. I'll watch that and update the thread should anything to wrong. So far seems bang on.

Kuba

« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2015, 12:25:03 pm »
P.S. I noted Dan's comments on Monkii cages above. The Gorilla also is definitely NOT a good solution for carrying bottles, large or small. To strap things securely in it, the stuff has to be somewhat fluffy (tent, drybag, rolled waterproofs etc.).