Author Topic: Axiom  (Read 5731 times)

tt2cycletours

Axiom
« on: January 30, 2015, 03:56:12 pm »
Hi, I am getting some new rear panniers. 

I will probably get Altura Orkneys again, although the plastic feet on the base are sewn on so they always come off eventually.  I like the large volume of 56 litres.

I was considering these:

Axiom Grand Modular Tour 60:

http://www.tritoncycles.co.uk/accessories-c11/pannier-bags-c135/axiom-modular-grand-tour-60-touring-bag-p2387

Can anyone tell me how the compare to Altura Orkneys for longevity or what is the longest lasting rear bags.  Also considering largest Carradice as well.

Thanks, Tim
It is always better by bike!

John Saxby

Re: Axiom
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2015, 04:15:45 am »
Hi tt,

I can't offer you a comment on the Axiom 60-ltr rear panniers, but I have had experience with two sets of smaller Axiom bags, the 40 and 30 litre sizes respectively:

1.   They're quite well made and durable, and a good price.  BUT,

2.   On both of the sets I have used, I found a design flaw:  The internal stiffening board proved to be not stiff enough for touring conditions -- load, distance, vibration.  I had to add a metal strip across the top of each stiffener, and that required drilling and cutting, and meant extra weight as well.  I learned about the limitations of the larger bags when I loaned a pair to friend for a 12-day ride from Ottawa to Halifax (Nova Scotia).  I then found out that the smaller 30-ltr bags suffered from the same problem, after using them for grocery shopping :-(

3.   No experience with Carradice products, but by comparison with the Axioms, my Arkel panniers are much better designed and built, and quite a bit more expensive. I have a full set of Arkel panniers, including the 42-ltr rear panniers; Arkel also offer a 54-ltr pair of rear bags.  I've had no problems with my 42-ltr rear bags after several seasons, and friends with the big'uns praise them.  I have only one reservation about the Arkels -- they're on the heavy side.  And I have one 'what if?' question: "What if lived in a rainy climate?"  If so, I'd look closely at Ortlieb -- some of their rear 40-ltr panniers are both waterproof and lighter than the Arkels, although Arkel now offer waterproof panniers as well. (The HD nylon panniers which I have require a set of pull-over rain covers.)

Hope that's helpful -- good luck.  J.

tt2cycletours

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2015, 01:31:24 pm »
Thanks for the quick reply.

The Arkels look great, but too expensive.  I found a reviewer on Amazon for the Avenir (not Axiom, my mistake) who had experienced the clips (for attaching to the rack) breaking within 12 months and no replacements available.  Shame because they could be a budget rival to Ortlieb.

Probably stick to Orkneys or go for Vaude, just because they are larger at 48 lt per pair than Ortlieb.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2015, 04:19:25 pm by tt2cycletours »
It is always better by bike!

mickeg

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2015, 01:36:23 pm »
Sometimes I use the Ortlieb duffel at 31 liters on top of my 40 liter backrollers as shown in photo.  Also have used a Nelson Longflap with the backrollers.