Author Topic: Squeal like a pig...  (Read 16963 times)

Chris Land

Squeal like a pig...
« on: December 08, 2003, 09:41:50 am »
I have a Nomad fitted with Avid Shorty 6 brakes and Sun Rhyno rims.  The bike is great and the stopping power is fine, but I can't do a thing about the awful squeal.

At first I set the toe-in so sharp that it reduced the noise for a while, but onlly because the full pad wasn't connecting so braking power was reduced and wear-rate was too high.  I have tried avid, shimano and aztec blocks and none of them get rid of it (though shimano seem to be the worst).  

For a while I just told myself that it was a good thing as the noise would warn people of my approach, but it has started getting to be again as I have been dealing with this for two years now.  

Can anyone rid me of this troublesome squeak?

ront

Re: Squeal like a pig...
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2003, 02:41:38 am »
Hi Chris, I had a similar problem caused by a residue of wax I had used to polish the frame.  It was of the spray on variety and had contaminated the rims.  It was difficult to remove and lead me to using fine "Wet and Dry paper under the brake blocks to clean the rim, followed by a degreaser, and repeating the process on the brake blocks.  (take care that you do not damage the sidewall of the tyre in this exercise)  Resetting the blocks per the book got rid of my problem.
Good luck.
ront

hoogie

« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2004, 07:05:44 pm »
Hi there,
I have installed Avid Shorty 6's on my new Nomad as well ... and yes, they squeal real bad too ... although I have reset the brake pads and the front only tends to squeal a bit when braking very hard.

after asking around, some solutions I was offered:
*use brake boosters ... those arch/horseshoe type thingys.
*use Koolstop salmon BMX brake pads [best solution I have been told]
*keep checking toe in

Chris Land

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2004, 01:39:11 pm »
Well, Robin has just talked me into trying a carbon-fibre brake booster as all the other solutions failed.  I had become quite used to it and it even served as a warning system for peds but as I am about to start work as a cycle trainer in schools I thought I had better get it fixed before lecturing year 6s on the importance of keeping your bike well serviced!

hoogie - I had also been told about kool-stops, but could only find the small pad size, not the kind you need for the Avids.  Toe-in worked to a point, but only when it was so extreme that much of the block didn't contact so wear was fast and uneven and braking was reduced (not an ideal solution).

Will let you know how the BB works out...

Bruce Robbins

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2004, 11:41:58 am »
Here's what the much-respected Rivendell Bicycles in the US say about these brakes:

"We used to sell the Avid Shorty brakes but the consensus is that they squeal too much. As long as we can get other brakes we will. Besides the squeek they are great brakes. We still carry replacement pads for those of you who purchased the brakes from us. SQUEEEEEEAL!"

Seems like it's a design fault.

Bruce

luceberg

« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2004, 02:05:09 am »
I havent experienced Avid Shorties but generally when I replace blocks, I dont bother with toe in any more. They wear flat and then what do you do, toe in again? I mount flat, twisted in the direction of rim movement of course. Then I go out for a ride and find a long shallow hill. Apply the brakes gently and at some pressure/speed combination, the squeal will stop. Keep like this for as long as you can and the brakes will be bedded it..no more squeal. Works for me anyway. [:)]

Jimbo

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2004, 08:59:13 pm »
I read elsewhere of someone having problems with brake squeal and it was cured quite by accident!

He was replacing an innertube and became overzealous when applying talcum powder to the inside of the tyre.Talcum powder was applied to inside of tyre to enable new tub to inflate smoothly.By accident the wheel rim also had a coating with talcum powder'

He took the bike out and applied the brakes and the squeal had gone,never to return!

I dunno how safe this is,but it got me wondering!
Anybody any ideas?

hoogie

« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2004, 09:54:02 am »
Sheldon Brown recommends salmon coloured  KoolStop brake pads for eliminating the squeal ... some folks reckon that the dual compound KoolStops work as well ...

either of these would work...
KoolStop MTB pads
KoolStop BMX pads

cheers,
hoogie
new zealand

Primus

« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2004, 08:29:24 am »
I sorted out the squeal of the Avids (with stock Rim Wrangler pads) by adding a rubber spacer (a piece of an old tube) on both sides of the brake pad mount. The brake doesn't resonate anymore and it still feels firm enough.

Cheers, Primoz

hoogie

« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2004, 01:15:36 am »
quote:
Originally posted by Primus

I sorted out the squeal of the Avids (with stock Rim Wrangler pads) by adding a rubber spacer (a piece of an old tube) on both sides of the brake pad mount. The brake doesn't resonate anymore and it still feels firm enough.

Cheers, Primoz

That sounds like a great idea ... how exactly did you manage that??? any pics???

cheers,
hoogie

Ditch

« Reply #10 on: June 22, 2004, 10:24:21 am »
I have had the same problem with Avid Shorty 6s on Sintema Carbon mud forks - not just squealing like a stuck pig but massive juddering when breaking under duress (thought my headset was lose) tried cleaning rims, cleaning blocks, super toeing in. Then I tried Aztec brake pad cartridges and now no problems  - camn use front break again - was developing some very bad breaking habits to avoid the problem.

hoogie

« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2004, 06:57:13 am »
I finally got sick of the squealing ... oh and the drop bars set up too, and have swapped it to a flat bar setup with deore v-brakes ... no squealing, stops very well and oh so comfy now ... pics to come soon!

www.hoogie.co.nz/nomad.htm