Author Topic: Thorn Audax 853 weight limit  (Read 13413 times)

BobScarle

Thorn Audax 853 weight limit
« on: March 04, 2015, 04:41:40 pm »
I have a Thorn Audax 853, about 12 years old. Last year I did a short tour on it, this year I am planning to go a bit further and consequentially take a bit more kit. Now, I am talking about welsh roads so not dirt tracks or rough ground. I will be fitting a rack and panniers, my tent will be strapped to the rack. I will also be fitting a small bar bag. I have 36 spoke wheels.

I am really not sure about the weight limit for the bike. I did see (or thought I saw) a figure of 15Kg for a rear mounted rack, but I cannot find that again. I reckon that I will be somewhere around that figure, maybe a fraction shy. Can anybody offer any advice, or give me a figure for the maximum weight? If it comes to it, I will buy a touring bike. I weigh around 83Kg.

Bob

leftpoole

Re: Thorn Audax 853 weight limit
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2015, 06:17:36 pm »
Hello,
I've owned two Audax 853 bikes. I wish I had kept one of them! Really nice to ride.
In my opinion not suitable for loaded touring...
All the best,
John

Audax hopeful

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2015, 08:58:16 pm »
Hi Bob!

Short and sweet: ring Thorn in Bridgwater, 01278 441505. They'll have all the info you need!

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2015, 09:31:36 pm »
Hi Bob!

Brochure here: http://web.archive.org/web/20060911025035/http://www.sjscycles.com/thornwebsite/thornpdf/ThornAudax853BroHiRes.pdf Nothing I can see in it about cargo capacity.

Past discussion of Audax *Mark 3* cargo weight limits here: http://www.thorncycles.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=9783.0

Though not specific to the lighter 853, it might still be useful to some degree. Me? I'd second a call to Thorn.

All the best,

Dan.

nztony

« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2015, 07:55:01 am »
Bob,

I ride a Nomad but I queried SJS Cycles last year about buying an Audax as a 'fast day ride bike' but was told it had an upper weight limit of 95kgs and as I am over that, it cancelled out any plans of buying one. They did suggest a Club Tour for me though. I have since found a very nice alternative that I think is a suitable option, but I wouldn't dare mention it as it isn't a Thorn.

As you are 83kg, I'd say you have 12kg up your sleeve to load your bike up with?

Here is what SJS Cycles told me in May 2014 when I enquired if I could buy an Audax for myself:
"Unfortunately I do not agree with your proposal of an Audax frame due to the weight limit of the rider being 15 stone (95kg). I understand your point that you will not ride with luggage and you will be on sealed roads but I would still strongly advise against this and I would push the Club Tour on you as it is basically an Audax on steroids.. It can carry more which will help with the rider weight and it can take a larger tyre which can also be an advantage. I do not want to sound harsh but I really want to stress about the weight limit of the bike and we would have to sale that frame without a warranty knowing this."
UNQUOTE

Tony
NZ
« Last Edit: March 05, 2015, 08:00:56 am by nztony »

leftpoole

« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2015, 08:11:13 am »
Hello,
I repeat that in my opinion as a past owner of one of these wonderful Audax 853 bikes (NOT MK 3) it is not suitable for loaded riding.
The rear end is not long enough and the bike just does not ride with luggage.
A Club Tour is best step as it can be ridden with narrow or wide tyres and rides well and is comfortable.
Ask Thorn by all means, but the Audax 853 is in no way suited to luggage carrying.
Sorry.
Regards,
John

BobScarle

« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2015, 08:32:30 am »
Thank you for your responses, although they are not really what I wanted to hear. I will speak to Thorn and get their opinion but it's not looking hopeful. I did tour on it last year but with less luggage and although it seemed to cope it was not "happy". I'll post the response from Thorn later.

I do have a problem if the answer is no. I need a bike for touring in the summer. Ideally I would like a flat bar, hybrid style bike, perhaps a Sherpa would fit the bill. Or perhaps I should try setting up the hybrid in the garage that hasn't been used for years.

Bob
« Last Edit: March 05, 2015, 08:50:52 am by BobScarle »

Mike Ayling

« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2015, 09:38:32 am »
I have a Thorn Audax 853, about 12 years old. Last year I did a short tour on it, this year I am planning to go a bit further and consequentially take a bit more kit. Now, I am talking about welsh roads so not dirt tracks or rough ground. I will be fitting a rack and panniers, my tent will be strapped to the rack. I will also be fitting a small bar bag. I have 36 spoke wheels.

I am really not sure about the weight limit for the bike. I did see (or thought I saw) a figure of 15Kg for a rear mounted rack, but I cannot find that again. I reckon that I will be somewhere around that figure, maybe a fraction shy. Can anybody offer any advice, or give me a figure for the maximum weight? If it comes to it, I will buy a touring bike. I weigh around 83Kg.

Bob

See Thorn mega brochure page 12 for Thorn bike comparison matrix showing the suitability of their bikes for various tasks.
They show sugested maximum weights for touring gear for the latest versions. How much has the Audax changed since you bought yours?
Re comment about short chain stays, I have just acquired a Mercury and had to adjust the sliding Ortlieb pannier hooks quite well aft to avoid heel strike.

Cheers

Mike

http://www.sjscycles.com/thornpdf/thorn_mega_brochure.pdf

BobScarle

« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2015, 10:55:27 am »
I have just spoken to Steve at SJS and his advice really confirms what has been said. The limit would be around 12 - 15Kg. I am looking to carry about 15Kg so I am left with a problem. The old hybrid will come out and I will see if it can be pressed into action, but it is certainly possible that I will be buying a Sherpa. Oh well.........

Bob

Big_Jimbo

« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2015, 12:44:57 pm »
I may get banned from the forum for saying this...
but at 19 stone and six foot five, I bought a Surly Long Haul Trucker because it has a 25 stone weight limit. It may not be as quick a bike as you want, but it rides really nicely and does everything I want it to.

Jim

leftpoole

« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2015, 05:41:01 pm »
Hello,
People ride around the World on Mono cycles, 'Penny Farthings' Moultons and Bromptons. But none of these make for a great ride!
Regards,
John
If you have a size 550 S Audax 853 I will be happy to buy it from you for nostalgia!
« Last Edit: March 06, 2015, 09:26:40 am by leftpoole »

BobScarle

« Reply #11 on: March 05, 2015, 06:25:42 pm »
John. Thank you for the offer, but I enjoy my 853 rather too much to think about selling it.

Can't say that I am not disappointed. I was hoping that the bike would be up to the job, but then it's not what it is meant for. Having looked at the hybrid you can see that it is low quality and not really suitable. I could upgrade the components and hope that the frame would be ok, but I don't think it is worth while. So now I am looking at a Sherpa and wondering where I can get £1300 from.

Bob

rualexander

« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2015, 06:42:41 pm »
Stick a trailer on the 853 maybe?
Extrawheel trailer or something?

Bill C

« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2015, 01:29:13 am »
A trailers a good idea
i'd get/borrow/rent a BOB yak, unless your going to be using the train
used mine quiet a bit when i was riding a klein, couldn't put racks on it, BOB did the job  ;D (worth carrying a spare qr though)

bit pricey to hire but you can here http://www.cycletrailercentre.co.uk/Bob-Yak-for-hire.html
« Last Edit: March 06, 2015, 01:37:59 am by Bill C »

John Saxby

« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2015, 02:16:35 am »
now I am looking at a Sherpa...

Bob, there's a review of an Audax Mk III used for commuting & light touring, here: https://www.crazyguyonabike.com/reviews/board/message/?o=Sh&thread_id=610130&page=1&nested=0&v=H   At the end of the review, there's a link to a journal describing a lightly-loaded tour, which seems to have been just splendid.

This is by Graham Smith of Australia, who posts here as well from time to time.

...and wondering where I can get £1300 from.

Only downside, I guess, is that the Mk 3 is about the same price as a Sherpa.  Is a used bike a possibility, perhaps with the 853 in p/ex?  But you may not want to part with your bike, and I can understand that.  Good luck in any case.