Author Topic: Shetland to Worthing  (Read 21065 times)

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
Re: Shetland to Worthing
« Reply #45 on: July 31, 2015, 05:21:03 pm »
Hi Temp'!

I've so thoroughly enjoyed the updates on your tour as they rolled in, and now the summary.

I'm sorry things did not always go as planned, but that is part of the Adventure and is always a learning experience (I learn something new with each tour, even after 35+ years of going...). "Next time" is always easier as a result.

The good news is you're now a seasoned cyclo-tourist, you've have a grand adventure, and you've got the equipment to have more! The whole world awaits, perhaps starting with a tour 'round home/Shetland.

Take care, and thanks for bringing us along on your travels.

All the best,

Dan.

bikerta

« Reply #46 on: July 31, 2015, 07:04:12 pm »
I have really enjoyed reading about your adventures. It surprised me on my own trip how being on your own for so long affects you, even if you are usually perfectly happy with your own company. Sometimes it is not that you actually feel lonely, it's more about having a companion to share the highs and lows with. I am sure if I toured with others, I would become irritated at times as much of your flexibility disappears.

I also found that Scotland was the best part of my trip, with spectacular scenery, cheaper and better campsites and quiet roads. Everything seems so much more expensive as you head to the south of the country and public transport is a nightmare, especially if you have a bicycle. 

davefife

« Reply #47 on: August 01, 2015, 08:50:54 pm »
good read this one! 
then found some woodland between a railway line and the road
  where on earth were you, this is my part of Fife, living in Aberdour as I do!?  If its where I think...thats no place to camp man :)

Templogin

« Reply #48 on: August 01, 2015, 10:26:32 pm »
There wasn't much in the way of facilities.

There was a very long empty industrial building opposite, something or other interiors.  Amusing as the building was so shoddy on the outside.  If I had have known you were so near I would have camped in your garden!

Andy
Shetland

davefife

« Reply #49 on: August 02, 2015, 09:47:28 am »
you would have been more than welcome, i wouldv'e given your thorn a check over too!! You were opposite a factory that was occupied by a shopfitting company called havelock europa, in scrub forest (with about 3, 100+yr old scots pines remaining) between the a921 and the east coast mainline railway.  If you (or others) plan to be in this part of Scotland passing through or whatever, plan ahead a bit and let me know ;D  The shed is always open and the garden plenty room for a 1 or 4 person tent!

Templogin

« Reply #50 on: August 02, 2015, 03:23:20 pm »
The undergrowth is full of spikey trailing green stuff, but I survived the horrors!

Matt2matt2002

« Reply #51 on: August 09, 2015, 09:47:32 pm »
£100 per day!!
Is that a typo?

I know England is expensive but I struggled to spend £10/ day in Asia.
And that was staying in a guesthouse.

Sorry your trip ended on such a note. But as Dan says, you know k ow more than when you set off.
I certainly learnt a lot about myself as well and camping / touring tips.

One strange, rather personal thing was how emotional I got when people showed me kindness.
More often than not they were folk who hardly had 2 beans to rub together.
There were quite a few times I shed tears.
I had to give myself a good talking too! Man up!!

One time I was slogging up a never ending road, higher and higher. No tarmac, mud and pot holes all over the place. Every time I turned a bend I thought I was near the summit. But no. It went on and on.
I knew it must be near but I was shattered.

And then the first car of the day appeared. Coming towards me so it must know how far I had to go .
It was an old Lada. Inside, at least 8 folk. Man driving + 7 women in black burkhas.
They stopped and offered me water. Neither of us spoke the others language but I worked out there were 3 more bends and 4 Km to go. I was at 3,000m but it was the fact that now I knew what was ahead, that was so useful.

When they went to drive off, the car wouldn't start. So some of the women got out to push start it.
And of course, when it did, they had to run even faster, to jump back in. Looked so funny.

But there kindness really touched me. I had tears rolling down my cheeks but for mixed reasons.

Ah well, memories.

Matt
Never drink and drive. You may hit a bump  and spill your drink

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #52 on: August 09, 2015, 11:00:14 pm »
One strange, rather personal thing was how emotional I got when people showed me kindness.
More often than not they were folk who hardly had 2 beans to rub together.
There were quite a few times I shed tears.
I had to give myself a good talking too!
All familiar to me as well, Matt, and for the same reasons. People treated me so kindly on my double crossing of Europe last summer, and I was deeply touched and will never forget. Those who had the least to give, gave the most and most freely. I bonded quickly and parting was...well, tears were shed on both sides but a bit more from me.
Man up!!
Well...I think it is the person secure in themselves who can appreciate a situation and react appropriately; sometimes, tears are appropriate. Nothing more manly than that.
Ah well, memories.
The most precious part of any trip, and the ones you can hold and keep close to your heart for a lifetime.

I thought long and hard on such things as I rode along. So much of what we worry about and use to occupy our time counts for nothing in the scheme of things. It is the basics so often neglected int he hustle and bustle of daily life -- Kindness, Love, Hope, and Time spent, with a generous dollop of Compassion -- that really count.
=  =  =  =  =  =  =
Going through Serbia, I stopped at a little market and bought a small bag of hard-shelled peppermints with chocolate filling. For no particular reason, I have them away. An old man on a bicycle pedaling with a couple big propane tanks on the back rack got a couple, shedding tears down his cheeks and thanked me with a quavering smile. I stopped at a cemetery where the old groundskeeper was sitting briefly in the shade, knackered from his efforts. I zoomed in, put out my hand with the candy and he immediately grasped it in a handshake of friendship, as was so common there. When he opened his hand, there was the candy and he sat looking at it for a long time, the tears quietly dripping down his cheeks. When I left, he gave me a hug. A couple motorcycle gang members with "HUNGARY" tattooed on their foreheads got more, as they got off their motorcycles at an ice cream parlor. They passed me on the road sometime later, and waved me out of sight.
=  =  =  =  =  =  =
Little, unexpected acts of kindness really count, and they're not so little to those who receive them. I know, as recipient of many.

Good stuff. Really good stuff, Matt.

All the best,

Dan.

Templogin

« Reply #53 on: August 10, 2015, 03:48:13 pm »
No typo there Matt - £100 per day.  I was shocked at how little you had spent.  £10 a day would have bought me lunch and left a little change for the pocket.  i didn't scrimp though!

Matt2matt2002

« Reply #54 on: August 10, 2015, 04:19:08 pm »
No typo there Matt - £100 per day.  I was shocked at how little you had spent.  £10 a day would have bought me lunch and left a little change for the pocket.  i didn't scrimp though!

I was a bit anal about costs - well, keeping a record of them - I never went without and treated myself to beer and wine from time to time.
Hostel was £5.50 a night ( showers to blow your socks off, free wifi and communial kitchen/fridge - even a large pool to flop into )
Beer, 60p / bottle, wine £2.50, bread 40p fruit, cheese all cheap.

From my diary.........
Hostel cost +
17 June   £1.45
18th        £3.23
19th        £3.25
20th         £7.60
21th         £10.48

Guess its a super cheap place to stay.

Matt
Never drink and drive. You may hit a bump  and spill your drink

Templogin

« Reply #55 on: August 10, 2015, 05:26:00 pm »
If you could get beer in Sussex for 60p it would be served in a shot glass!

No more UK touring outside of Scotland for me.  Just too expensive compared to eastern Europe/Asia.