Author Topic: Really big panniers, which to buy?  (Read 20225 times)

mickeg

Re: Really big panniers, which to buy?
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2015, 01:36:39 pm »
I would like thank everyone that provided input based on their personal experience with the panniers that I was considering buying.  It was very helpful.

I decided to order the Carradry panniers.  They arrived yesterday.  I think they will be exactly what I need.

I changed my mind several times on which panniers to get.  At times I was leaning towards Altura.  And at other times the Carradry.  And the Altura ones, I went back and forth on which model.  I could not find a retailer that had the Super C at a good price with shipping to USA, so the Super C fell off my list pretty early.

To clarify some of my needs, I already have Ortieb Backrollers but I am looking for larger volume panniers for one or two specific trips where I would not be using front panniers.  I expect to use my Backrollers for most tours, I do not anticipate a huge amount of use with these new ones.  Thus, I was more focused on low cost and the cost of shipping, not long term durability. Rack attachment points are important too, but it was less critical than cost since they are from reputable firms that are unlikely to sell anything bad.

The best price in US Dollars with shipping and without VAT that I could find for each are as follows:
- Carradry $100.26
- Altura Dryline 56L $103.68
- Altura Orkney 56L $129.60
- Super C with one tin of wax $197.39

The day I ordered them, I actually changed my mind twice during the couple hours before I ordered them.  One reason that I ordered the Carradry is that I found two YouTube videos that described them and I could see how the panniers attached to the rack.  The Altura ones, I could not find any good photos or other sources that showed how they attach to the racks.  Now for the funny part - when the Carradry ones arrived, that is when I learned that Carradice have modified their rack attachment system again, thus I got something slightly different than I expected.  But, they look like they will be perfect for my needs, so this surprise was not unpleasant.

Thank you again to everyone that provided input.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2015, 03:56:22 pm »
Hi mickeg!

Thanks for the thoughtful followup and final comparo on the panniers you considered. This is bound to be useful to others in future selections.

Glad you found just what you needed.

Best,

Dan.

crazytraveler

• The Crazy Travel
« Reply #17 on: March 29, 2015, 12:04:22 pm »
Too late, but in case this is useful for another person... I would recommend the ones I have: Crosso panniers.

They are very big, they have pockets for organizing and they are totally waterproof.

The ones we have and we have traveled with for the last 14 months are Crosso Expert.

Lake viewpoint in the Alps by TheCrazyTravel.com, on Flickr

Cycling next to the beach by TheCrazyTravel.com, on Flickr

Making an effort by TheCrazyTravel.com, on Flickr
Cycling around the world on a Thorn Nomad!
http://en.thecrazytravel.com/

Audax hopeful

« Reply #18 on: March 29, 2015, 09:47:51 pm »
Great photos!

Thanks for the kick up the proverbial!!

Nich

bikerwaser

« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2015, 07:18:56 pm »
I use a 750ml black water bottle in the bottle cage underneath to store heavier items like tools. (i can get stuff like spoke spanner, multi tool , tyre levers, spare chain link, and other bits in there) I did this for 2 reasons, one was to put the weight more central and low but also cos the rear pockets of my panniers would wear holes in with the heavy tools rubbing away the fabric.

Pavel

« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2015, 04:51:01 pm »
a bit late here ... but after various other rear bags I had ordered a pair of Carradice super C's and they fast became my favorite bags. One reason is that I found waterproof bags would steam up on us, in the humid southeastern summers and one wet, stinky garment would ripen the whole bags worth of clothes in an hour.  Yuck.  So separate dry bags inside the carradice for organization is how we roll now, and I really like the huge single compartment the super C has.

I use one side for clothes and the other for the tent and tools.  Sleeping bag goes inside a medium size a alpkit bag on top of the rear rack.  In our conditions I found that a dry bag is too much of a vapour seal and the contents has to be protected as well anyways for keeping certain items dry whilst living out of the bags.  So the Carradice bags are perfect for that in that they breathe a lot better while still keeping contents dry.

The other thing that makes the Carradice standout is their mounting system.  It is manual, so there is not the same danger of a hook not being put on properly - as happens to me often enough on my quick release systems to make me wonder about my basic intelligence. :D
The Carradice clicks in very surely and stays put and I like that it slides without the steps that many bags have so you can get a more perfect fit on your racks, with no sliding around. Also, I use three hooks per side, why not? :)

Until recently I did not know that each Carradice bag is made by one person, and that it is signed by that person.  So that means that I have two bags by Pricilla, and one each by Sue and Janet. The Audax super C should be here this week - the first thing I shall do is check which human being made it.  It's kind of nice to have that personal connection in our day and time and one further small reason to do business with the company.  British bags on a British bike.  Perfect! ;)

mickeg

« Reply #21 on: September 01, 2015, 02:21:03 am »
UPDATE

So, I start packing my new Carradry panniers for a trip I leave for in a week.  I wanted these because I was afraid my Ortliebs would be too small.  At 58 liter, the Carradry should be 45 percent larger than the Ortlieb Backrollers (rated at 40 liter) that I have been using.

Looking at the photos, maybe 20 or 25 percent larger, but not 45 percent.  I will have to start thinking about what to leave out for this trip.

Since I will be using a suspension fork for this trip with no front panniers, I also got a frame bag, but I think that is only about 5 liters.  (The photo of the frame bag is from before I switched front forks.)

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #22 on: September 01, 2015, 03:07:16 am »
Thanks for the update, Mickeg. The news bags look good, and the integrated external pocket is nice.

Please, can you tell us a bit about the nature of your upcoming tour? The conditions, how far, and general location so we can better appreciate why you need the big bags? Is it a solo tour, or semi- or fully supported? Will you be carrying your food and cooking? Any idea what weather or altitude you can expect? Sounds interesting!

Best,

Dan.

il padrone

« Reply #23 on: September 01, 2015, 05:40:12 am »
New Ortliebs seem to be taking it to a new level - 70L Back-roller Pro. Just launched at Eurobike I believe.

mickeg

« Reply #24 on: September 01, 2015, 03:41:28 pm »
I would assume those 70 liter panniers are intended for tandems.

Thanks for the update, Mickeg. The news bags look good, and the integrated external pocket is nice.

Please, can you tell us a bit about the nature of your upcoming tour? The conditions, how far, and general location so we can better appreciate why you need the big bags? Is it a solo tour, or semi- or fully supported? Will you be carrying your food and cooking? Any idea what weather or altitude you can expect? Sounds interesting!

Best,

Dan.

I will start a new thread since it is quite off topic.  New thread here:

http://thorncyclesforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=11321.0
« Last Edit: September 01, 2015, 05:00:50 pm by mickeg »

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #25 on: September 11, 2015, 10:51:31 pm »
I would assume those 70 liter panniers are intended for tandems.
<nods> I think that is a reasonable assumption. It can be really tough to cram all the things needed for two people into the usual HB bag, two small front and two larger rear panniers. When my Dutch touring partner came for a visit a few years back, I had to also hook-up one one of my homemade trailers, but we also took everything but the kitchen sink -- no, wait...we took that also, and his Dutch Army tank-driver's boots for hiking once at our back-country campsite. I hope I never again carry so much, either in mass or in volume.

Ah, well, it made for a lit of fun and we "discovered" the trailer had a workable maximum capacity of 125lb/56.7kg and the lot -- tandem, trailer, both riders and all that stuff we carried including food and lots of water -- weighed in at 600lb/272kg and did fine on gravel logging roads using 26x1.5in road slicks. No tread on the tires, but I have to think the sheer weight did something for traction as we never spun-out.

With a pair of these 70l rear panniers, I might have been able to leave the trailer home? Lotsa stuff but lotsa fun and everyone came out the other side with a smile.

I have occasionally seen tandems with 40l bags both front (on mid-rider or platform front racks) and rear as well as a handlebar bag. Still not the equivalent of a 4-pannier setup for the single rider, but much closer.

Best,

Dan.

il padrone

« Reply #26 on: September 12, 2015, 03:50:47 pm »
Hmm.....

40L panniers on the front. 70L on the rear. Ortlieb X-plorer drybag rucksack for racktop bag - up to 59L (I only use about 30L max). Ultimate Large handlebar bag 8.5L for captain. Ultimate Med for stoker 6L.

Gives a total of 183.5L. Quite a lot really :D  ;D

JimK

• Interdependent Science
« Reply #27 on: September 27, 2015, 11:19:57 pm »
Result of this evening's experiment: a 15 lb bag of dog food fits inside a Carradice Super-C rear pannier, with room to spare!

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #28 on: September 27, 2015, 11:27:39 pm »
That's a good-sized bundle, Jim!

I was pretty astonished to see the size of the petrol cans (jerrycans) AndyBG managed to put in his!

Carradice bags (of all types) are pretty remarkable.

All the best,

Dan.