Author Topic: calling all n'lock owners  (Read 3133 times)

dick220369

calling all n'lock owners
« on: January 11, 2016, 09:47:47 pm »
Hi All,

I just recently installed my new n'lock - the fixed stem version. Someone previously said there was some side-to-side play with their n'lock which was the adjustable stem version. My n'lock is exhibiting the same behaviour. It's noticeable but you don't feel it whilst riding the bike. Just wanted to make sure that this happens to all n'locks regardless of model. I just need reassurance that everything is okay otherwise it's going to plague me for the rest of eternity. I'm slightly obsessive compulsive so can't be helped - it in my nature :)

Thanks,

Richard :)

jags

Re: calling all n'lock owners
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2016, 10:32:50 pm »
Andre is your man. ;)

Andre Jute

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2016, 11:09:19 pm »
Actually, Julk is the guy who discovered the little play in the n'lock. I thought it was something in my headset and my LBS failed to feel it at all. It's natural. If your n'lock is competently fitted, and it is only a little play, you're good to go.

However, if this is the first time you've worked on a headset/steer tube, or if the movement is more than very, very little, and in any case if you also fitted the steering tube extender insert with the n'lock, get your LBS to check your installation. Better safe than sorry.

You don't notice that little amount of play when riding.

dick220369

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2016, 07:04:51 am »
Hi Andre,

You mentioned the steering tube extender insert. I don't know what that is. I just took the unit from the box and installed it. It didn't look like it came apart. There were not any other accessories in the box apart from the keys and a star fangled nut. Unfortunately my old star fangled nut had to be replaced with the new one because it had become lose and would just turn when the headset was tightened. I replaced the nut without issue and I am fairly adept at fixing my own bike. I haven't used my LBS in over a year. I think I'll just cycle with the new headset and take it from there - checking regularly to see if the side-to-side play worsens. I must admit it was really difficult to get the n'lock on but I just used a twisting action to slide it down the tube. I am just hoping that this twisting action didn't exacerbate the play.

Thanks,

Richard :)

Andre Jute

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2016, 11:21:24 pm »
You mentioned the steering tube extender insert. I don't know what that is.

It's a piece of tube with an ahead head of its own at one end and at the other an expanding wedge to hold it in the steerer tube; it looks like an old-fashioned quill stem without the stem. It is (was?) supplied in special kits by n'lock.

I think I'll just cycle with the new headset and take it from there - checking regularly to see if the side-to-side play worsens.

I don't think it will. If it does, it goes without saying that you should investigate.

I must admit it was really difficult to get the n'lock on but I just used a twisting action to slide it down the tube. I am just hoping that this twisting action didn't exacerbate the play.

Yeah, it's a real pain to fit. I was breathing so hard by the time I'd taken it off a couple of times to get the fit just right, my family thought I was having a heart attack.

Frankly, I'd be very surprised if even the most ham handed and strongest poster here managed to damage the n'lock. It strikes me as superior Swiss engineering, and that unforgiving factory lube is just one symptom of it being an OEM article intended to be fitted by trained mechanics, not -- er -- civilians.

We're a very exclusive club, those of us who fitted n'locks ourselves...

dick220369

« Reply #5 on: January 13, 2016, 07:51:20 am »
Yes, I can't deny it's well made. I could tell it was a quality product as soon as I took it out the box and held it in my hand. It's also a brilliant concept and thief deterrent. I would recommend it wholeheartedly to anyone who is looking for extra security when leaving their bike unattended.

One thing I did notice is that you have to make sure the latch is fully turned when you put the handlebars back into the ride position. The latch does spring into position automatically but you should give it a slight press with the finger because it doesn't always go as far as it can. When I do this the side-to-side play lessens. It's still there but very slight and, therefore, not really of any concern.