Author Topic: Best Touring Stoves  (Read 13801 times)

JimK

• Interdependent Science
Re: Best Touring Stoves
« Reply #30 on: February 20, 2015, 10:42:11 pm »
Hey since we have a nice thread going with some real stove experts....

I have an old Svea 123 tucked away, I think from my first bicycle camping trip in 1970. Somewhere along the way stupid me decided to try leaded gasoline in the thing. Which did not do it any good at all.

Is there a standard sort of way to clean out whatever needs to be cleaned out from that? The gunk has been stuck in there for 40 years now so that probably won't help or maybe it will. Or am I utterly out of luck? It is a nice stove after all so it would be great to get it back into service!

Then there was the time I tried putting steel strings on my nylon string guitar. That didn't work very well either. Ooops.

Bill C

« Reply #31 on: February 21, 2015, 03:24:42 am »
Hi Jim
i take it you have pricked the jet? just asking  lol eliminate the obvious first
if it's working but running rough just keep running it on clean pukka fuel make sure you let it burn good n hot and put a few tanks of fuel through it, they like to be used and have a habit of sorting themselves out with a good burn
if it's working but under powered it's more than likely the fuel cap gasket, they age and don't seal well over time

"remove the Gunk"
if the Svea isn't completely blocked , to see if it is remove the fuel cap blow in the tank hard to see if you can get air or fuel out of the jet (or screw down fuel cap open valve and dunk tank in hot water to pressurise it) if you have a mini/midi pump use that obviously
if you can feel air or see a drop of fuel at the jet I'd buy some good carburettor cleaner
1/ rinse the tank with fresh Coleman's/panel wipe a few times and ditch the fuel that comes out
2/ mix some carb cleaner and fuel and half fill the tank with the mix
3/ take it outside put the stove in a washing up bowl screw down the fuel cap, open the fuel control valve then pour hot/boiling water into the washing up bowl, and as the tank heats up it should force the mix out through the jet
after a good few minutes or so shut off the valve and just let it sit over night
it might take a few cycles to dissolve the crud but people on ccs have said it works

if it's completely blocked then it's probably a strip down, but I'd still try carb cleaner first
atb Bill
« Last Edit: February 21, 2015, 04:34:04 am by Bill C »

JimK

• Interdependent Science
« Reply #32 on: February 21, 2015, 04:55:13 am »
Thanks Bill! That stove is pretty deeply buried at the moment and I haven't tried using it in decades. But as I recall the last time I tried it was running but just very roughly. So I will just try the proper white gas, a couple tanks worth. Make a big pot of tea for a bunch of friends or something!

I am slowly selling off boxes of books. That stove ought to reemerge before too long!

mickeg

« Reply #33 on: February 21, 2015, 01:38:43 pm »
If the flushing does not work, find out if a new wick and generator are available.  If so, you might need a new packing and maybe a new needle too.  I have never bought anything from these folks but that might be an option. 

http://www.spiritburner.com/fusion/fpage.php?page/links/

On one of my Phoebus stoves, the gasket on the filler cap split, getting a new one of those might be a good idea too.

If I recall, the generator on the Svea is threaded onto the tank really tightly.  I think I put a big adjustable wrench in a vice and then used some good gloves that gave my hands a better grip on the tank.  I then put the generator into the wrench and I turned the tank with my hands to unthread it.  I only replaced the wick, I did not need to unclog a generator.  You might be able to forget the wrench, just put the generator in the vice, but I think I used a wrench.  Do not tighten down on the generator any more than necessary to keep it in place if you use a vice.

Assuming you use the brass windscreen, the generator needs to be threaded on to the tank at the right angle, you might want to mark it first with that angle or take a photo so when you thread the generator back onto the tank, you get that right.

Or - if the parts are not available and if flushing as suggested above does not work, I have no clue if carburetor cleaner is a good option or not.  But I would only put the generator in carburetor cleaner, not any other parts.  And I would do this as a last resort.

You did not say if you have the newer or older style, teh graphic is of the new style with built in cleaning needle.  On reassembly, you have to get the right number of teeth in the cleaning needle engaged for it to work right.  Take good notes on disassembly.

triaesthete

« Reply #35 on: February 21, 2015, 04:26:37 pm »

A good alternative (less toxic/polluting/accesses blocked passages) to carb cleaner: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ultrasonic_cleaning

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #36 on: February 25, 2015, 09:12:52 pm »
If I recall, the generator on the Svea is threaded onto the tank really tightly.  I think I put a big adjustable wrench in a vice and then used some good gloves that gave my hands a better grip on the tank.  I then put the generator into the wrench and I turned the tank with my hands to unthread it.
Rubber strap wrenches (sometimes sold for removing jar lids) used in opposition work a treat for disassembling stove components without marking or distorting the brass.

Best,

Dan.

Slammin Sammy

« Reply #37 on: March 22, 2015, 04:14:51 pm »
Stove pox? Tent whore? My head is spinning!

I had no idea there were so many stoves, and collectables at that! I'll never catch up, especially since I prefer a wood fire campsite if at all possible. That's why I bought a Honey Stove a few months back, which I am yet to use.

And I have 5 tents, only 2 of which are bike-portable. Am I a whore, or just a tart?  ???