Author Topic: Another Mercury......  (Read 3917 times)

Peejay

Another Mercury......
« on: February 07, 2015, 07:04:54 pm »
Hi Guys - yet another Mercury for your approval...?

I bought the bike late last year in rather tragic circumstances - the original owner had bought the bike from Thorn with no expense spared; every option box ticked. Unfortunately the bike never got ridden more than a couple of miles as the owner developed an eyesight condition which stopped him from riding!

The bike is a 610L and came with flat bars - not for me, I prefer drops, but I tried them for 60 miles and then decided to change to drops.
A bit of a dilemma really as I didn't want to change the Hope hydraulic disc brakes - they were awesome, but no drop levers suitable for these brakes. Eventually I found Hope made a cable to hydraulic converter the V-twin, so I bought one and game on!
Over the last three months I've done a major refit to get the bike how I wanted it so....

1. Changed the carbon forks to Thorn steel ones as I wanted full mudguards.
2. 110mm stem with Thorn drop bars and a Gilles Berthoud shifter finished off with double wrapped handlebar tape.
3. Tektro brake levers.
4. Hope V-twin with new calipers.
4. Full SKS mudguards.
5. Dropped the gearing from 51x17 to 47x17 - 51 is way too high for me.
6. Easton EA70 micro adjuster seatpin with Rivet Pearl saddle. It was fitted with a (Shimano) Pro seatpin and Brooks B17 titanium.

Now I'm happy with the bike - it rides great; the brakes are still awesome and is finished off nice with the original DT Swiss black rims.

I've attached some photos of the bike and a close up of the Hope V-twin.

Pete.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2015, 07:27:19 pm by Peejay »

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
Re: Another Mercury......
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2015, 07:58:13 pm »
yet another Mercury for your approval...?
Of *course*!

*Always* room for another in the gallery.

What a lovely example this is, Pete. "All boxes ticked" indeed!

Simply fantastic. Thanks so much for the photos and the story of how it came to be.

Best,

Dan.

markbUK

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2015, 05:39:46 pm »
Love the colour, and the hope brakes look fascinating,

I'm sure the original owner would be pleased to see changes, and the bike being put to good use

Mark

in4

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2015, 08:27:32 pm »
I remember the provenance of this Mercury so its wonderful to see it ready to roll in its new guise. I could have done with some 700's today as my 26inch-ers felt like lead ;nothing to do with the rider of course!  ;)

DAntrim

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2015, 08:47:23 am »
That colour scheme just says class, enjoy the miles with the smiles

jags

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2015, 01:49:38 pm »
cracking bike and the colour is class, 8)
i know andy blance designed this mercury for a light touring load (credid card) but would it handle 2 rear panniers/ tent/ and barbag.
just curious.

jags

Tiberius

« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2015, 05:44:38 pm »
Pure class....Just lovely...... 8)

Re the 'Hope V-Twin'....I have owned three of Harley Davidsons' versions.....Sort of bigger, and heavier... :P