Author Topic: Rail Trail Advocacy: Plugging for a project in NSW Australia  (Read 2528 times)

Vintagetourer

Rail Trail Advocacy: Plugging for a project in NSW Australia
« on: February 03, 2015, 04:36:58 am »
I think this topic is of broader interest than touring so forgive me for posting it here. It is about a Rail Trail project in Australia.

I am a late fifty-something Australian cycle-tourer, cycle-commuter with a strong interest in cycle-tourism as a way of contributing to the economy and health of regional and rural communities. I also happen to own two outstanding Thorn bikes. The reddest Thorn Audax Mark 3 on the planet is my favourite bike and everyday ride.

The Australian state of New South Wales is lagging in the development of rail trails compared to the U.S., New Zealand, Victoria Australia and probably everywhere else. However, there is some progress. Proposals are being sought by the state government and the advocacy has begun. Several project proposals are being developed and discussed.

My favourite project is the one from my home region even though I don't live there now. It is in New England. No...not New England USA; It's in New England, New South Wales Australia. A lot of Scots settled there in the 1800s but I am sure you forgive them for that. They have assimilated nicely. :)

My ask is for you to check out their FB site. If you like what you see...give them a "Like" or an encouraging comment or a suggestion for their fledgling New England Rail Trail (NERT) project.

Or simply spread the good word to people who you think would be interested and supportive of the project from a distance. If this trail is established, it'll be the highest, longest rail trail in Oz. It'll be an excellent section of touring trail to ride on your Thorn should you want include it in a tour from say Brisbane to Sydney, or Brisbane to Melbourne.

https://www.facebook.com/NERailTrail

Slammin Sammy

Re: Rail Trail Advocacy: Plugging for a project in NSW Australia
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2015, 12:42:10 am »
Hi Graham,

I will second that motion - we're desperate to catch NSW up with the rest of Australia and the world in developing rail trails from our numerous disused lines. The project you mention is a great one, in a beautiful part of the world. There are other, equally exciting possibilities, too numerous to mention, and all deserving of support. With any luck, we'll be welcoming huge numbers of Thorn ( and a few other) riders to world class rail trails in the not too distant future!

And before our resident Victorian il Padrone jumps in  ;), I might pick one quibble with you. Certainly the longest, if not highest, rail trail in Oz is the Great Victorian Rail Trail (formerly Goulburn River High Country Rail Trail) at 134km. The NERT (with which I am admittedly less familiar) is quoted as 100km shorter. The Vics (aka Mexicans) have got at least one other +100km trail, and numerous shorter ones.

Us New South Welshmen (and Welshwomen) have got a lot of catching up to do!

Vintagetourer

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2015, 12:59:38 am »

Thanks Slammin...yes I should have said that all the NSW proposals, Tumba, Northern Rivers, Crookwell etc especially are all worthy. My unashamed bias for NERT is because my home-patch is Barraba-Tamworth going back many generations. I should really be cheering for the Cooma or Captains Flat RT or Tumba as I live in Canberra now.

I'd be chuffed if any of the NSW Rail Trail proposals get up. It's economic stupidity not to start rolling them out, and get cracking on a proper NSW network, and start generating the community development which comes with it.

Are you sure about the altitude/elevation thing?  Guyra claims to have the highest caravan park in Australia and the highest Australia railway station (Ben Lomond?) is up that way somewhere.  I know its bloody cold in winter! Scots cycle-tourers would love it. Just like home.

I slowly rode the Bright Alpine Audax 200km a couple of weeks ago. The amount of business cycle-tourism and events has generated in that area is stunning. The Bright local government estimate about $16 million per annum for their region alone!

So come on one and all...give NERT an encouraging "Like" at https://www.facebook.com/NERailTrail

onmybike

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2015, 04:33:02 am »
Graham, Slammin Sammy et al

Yes Graham you should be cheering for Cooma, or for that matter the full line - Canberra - Captains Flat - Cooma - Bombala but alas my understanding is the rail corridor land was largely given back to the farmers so that ain't gonna happen.

On the topic of highest rail trail that has to go to the High Country Rail Trail in Victoria - it terminates at Shelly (779m), formerly the highest railway station in Australia. That rail trail is now complete along the flat lands from Wodonga to Old Tallangatta (42km) but then has a gap of about 15km before it resumes near darbyshire as a dirt singletrack for the last 22km to Shelley. Plans are afoot to finish the link, as, according to the chatty checkout operator in Tallangatta's supermarket, 'the landowners have been won over'.

Vintagetourer

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2015, 06:14:25 am »
Seeing those figures then Onmy, if the NERT does get a Guernsey it would well and truly at the highest elevation up around the 1300 metre mark. Here's one tourers' pics and figures...

https://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/page/?o=St&page_id=307695&v=5t

As far as I know all the disused NSW rail corridors are still held by the NSW govt. Graziers may be  'borrowing' some sections of them and have even 'liberated' a few rails to use as fence posts, but title sits with the state government. This is a strength and weakness, as an ACT of Parliament is needed to decommission a line. The Federal authority ATRAC (?) leases and administers the lines, but state legislation covers them. The sensible thing to do would be a lease-back of rail-bank system like they use in the U.S.  This protects the corridor from privatisation, but frees it up to be used and contribute economically. 

Currently the dead lines are gradually turning to rust and dust. What a waste.

onmybike

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2015, 11:41:56 pm »
I stand corrected. And having dug through my box of maps I see the that the High Country Rail Trail map claims Shelly to be the 'former highest Victorian station', not Australia's highest.

Vintagetourer

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2015, 02:17:26 am »
Yes...Guyra is almost as elevated as Thredbo. Far fewer skiers though and closer to Country Music Capital:)

And to add to your trivia collection Onya, Guyra is home to one of Australia's largest hydroponic tomato set ups. Blush tomatoes. Massive area under glass with more Dutch technology than a Koga bike factory.

The reason it is there is because it is cheaper to heat glasshouses than to cool them. It is also midway between the Brisbane and Sydney markets and the water supply is very reliable on the New England plateau.

With or without the rail trail, a mountain man Thorn owner would find lots of good backcountry touring up in them thar hills.

The region is back on my wishlist. I want to go and see what all the fuss is about re the rail-trails and meet some of the locals who are working on it.

Slammin Sammy

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2015, 12:54:02 pm »
The region is back on my wishlist. I want to go and see what all the fuss is about re the rail-trails and meet some of the locals who are working on it.

Graham, I'd be pleased to meet up with you in that endeavour, should your plans firm up! I'd come up from Newcastle, and meet you at a suitable starting point. PM me if you'd like to plan such an outing.

Vintagetourer

« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2015, 06:40:38 am »
Thanks Sammy that's a kind offer. I'll let you know if I do plan to go. Depends on work commitments easing up.