Author Topic: Cycle Touring Festival (Clitheroe)  (Read 48000 times)

Slammin Sammy

Cycle Touring Festival (Clitheroe)
« on: November 03, 2014, 07:12:19 pm »
I'm seriously contemplating (the step between dreaming and planning  ;)) a trip over [to Clitheroe, where the Cycle Touring Festval will be held next May], followed by a month's ride down to Nantes for the Velo City Global conference, and thence east on the EV6 for another month or two.

The festival's in Waddow Hall. Are you planning to attend? Anyone else? I'm hoping to meet a few denizens of this forum, as well as other Thornoids.

[Topic split from "Was It You?" board to "Events". Minor edit to first post for continuity -- Dan.]
« Last Edit: January 20, 2015, 08:56:47 pm by Danneaux »

AndyE

« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2014, 07:19:25 pm »
Isn't that near Clitheroe, where the Cycle Touring Festival will be held next May? I'm seriously contemplating (the step between dreaming and planning  ;)) a trip over for that, followed by a month's ride down to Nantes for the Velo City Global conference, and thence east on the EV6 for another month or two.

The festival's in Waddow Hall. Are you planning to attend? Anyone else? I'm hoping to meet a few denizens of this forum, as well as other Thornoids.

What are the date of this event sammy?
Doncaster in deepest South of Yorkshire

Slammin Sammy

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2014, 07:26:39 pm »
What are the date of this event sammy?

I believe it's 2-3 May 2015, Andy. http://cycle.travel/city/clitheroe/news/cycle_touring_festival_lined_up_for_may_2015

It's been in my calendar for awhile, but I've not received any recent contact from the organizers (CTC??).

AndyE

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2014, 07:31:10 pm »
Thanks Sammy, It's pencil only at the moment but one can dream.

Andy
Doncaster in deepest South of Yorkshire

Slammin Sammy

« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2014, 07:57:53 pm »
The Isle of Man TT is on the following week, as well.

Hmmm.....  ::)

DAntrim

« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2014, 08:06:21 pm »

I'm plan on being there, there is camping on-site as well.

Carlos

jags

« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2014, 09:16:10 pm »
i think i'm signed up for this .me and bikepacker are talking on doing it but only if i have enough dosh. ::)

jomouk

« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2014, 09:34:22 am »
Thanks for the info Sammy.  Clitheroe is 20-odd miles from where I live.  I was not aware of the event.  I am now! Yes, I will be there, without a doubt!  And of course will keep an eye out for other Thorns.  My most recent encounter was near Skipton during the TdF Grand Depart.
PS - sign up for updates here:  http://www.cycletouringfestival.co.uk
« Last Edit: November 05, 2014, 09:36:24 am by jomouk »

lewis noble

« Reply #8 on: January 20, 2015, 08:46:30 pm »
I recently had an email about this, with website as follows

http://us3.campaign-archive2.com/?u=9e45344fa226e41e05eabf862&id=5ab7519600&e=3c635dfad6

Seems a very long web address - Cycle Touring Festival should also get it.

Yes, I am thinking of going, will probably park up in campervan . . . . .or will they not regards that as cycle touring??  Looking into that.

Interesting weekend by the look of it . . . .

Lewis

jags

Re: Cycle Touring Festival (Clitheroe)
« Reply #9 on: January 20, 2015, 10:46:30 pm »
i had plans to go  but usual story no money so  i emailed bikepacker  to say no go.and besides i dont have a touring bike anymore.as a matter of fact i'm thinking of selling all my new camping stuff i'll mull it over in the next few days.

jags.

lewis noble

« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2015, 10:07:41 am »
I hope you are able to make it Anto - tell you what, if you can get there, I'll give you a beer from my campervan.  Cold. From the fridge.  Maybe two!  Unmissable offer!!

I'd better stop now, or I'll find a queue outside the van each evening . . . . .

Lewis

leftpoole

« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2015, 10:29:40 am »
Thanks for the info Sammy.  Clitheroe is 20-odd miles from where I live.  I was not aware of the event.  I am now! Yes, I will be there, without a doubt!  And of course will keep an eye out for other Thorns.  My most recent encounter was near Skipton during the TdF Grand Depart.
PS - sign up for updates here:  http://www.cycletouringfestival.co.uk

Hello,
I would loveto attend, but it is 286 miles from where I live in the deep South!
Train might do it but I am attending Hospital regularly and I might upset my treatment.
But I will do my best to work something out as it might be good to meet Anto in the flesh  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Best regards,
John

jags

« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2015, 11:09:00 am »
ah i was to meet bikepacker in liverpoole and then cycle there camp for a few days and head  back.but its a no go for this kid unless i win the lotto.
i wou
ld have enjoyed the beer lewis and the craic.
i'm surronded by grandkids here  they have the house wrecked. great stuff.

anto.

rualexander

« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2015, 03:16:54 pm »
Nice idea but crazy expensive, check the prices under 'tickets'  http://www.cycletouringfestival.co.uk/

Slammin Sammy

« Reply #14 on: January 23, 2015, 02:45:51 pm »
Nice idea but crazy expensive, check the prices under 'tickets'  http://www.cycletouringfestival.co.uk/

Well, dunno Ru. 75 quid for two nights camping and three meals, plus activities? I can't see how they could pull it off for much less, especially if they have to arrange ablutions blocks and catering, etc. I don't know what the layout's like there, but frankly, I was more interested in catching up with other members of this forum than attending the "events" they're planning anyway. (The grog bill would probably have exceeded the cost to attend!  :D)

But alas, it appears my plans (dreams, really) were too ambitious. We're expecting our fourth grandchild to be born in April, and it's been explained to me that my 2-3 month holiday planned for this northern summer will become permanent if I leave so soon after the baby's born!  :'( (I don't know why it has to be this way. The kid will see plenty of me for many years.  :-[ I think Nanna is just too jealous to let me have a holiday without her!)

Our plans for another European tour have therefore been put on hold until 2016. The good news, however, is that we're planning on a trip to Yankeeland in late September through October this year. Our itinerary will include a visit to my sister on Long Island, NY, thence to Pittsburg for a 300 mile ride to Washington DC on the Great Allegheny Passage, thence to Boca Raton FL to visit my brother, before riding down to Key West and back.

And brace yourselves... I'm thinking about going Brompton for this trip!  :o The thought of so many bike-unfriendly planes, trains and automobiles makes me want to leave the Thorns home and CC tour. I've arranged for a loaner from my dealer mate, so we'll see. (Mrs. Sammy thinks they look ridiculous, so my options may already be limited...  ;D)