Author Topic: Rides 2015 — add yours  (Read 87751 times)

jags

Re: Rides 2015 — add yours
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2015, 12:14:44 am »
CLASS 8)

Andre Jute

« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2015, 01:53:32 am »
You don't need to go far from home to have an adventure! Brrrr photographs.

Slammin Sammy

« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2015, 12:08:07 pm »
Thanks Ru! When I need a break from this heat, I'll cool down by looking at your photos!   ;D

Actually, today the weather broke with our best rain in months. Temps back to mid-20s C. A cyclone may be brewing up north, and we're going to have a wet week. I don't know how I'll cope - it's been so long!

geocycle

« Reply #18 on: January 24, 2015, 06:59:56 pm »
Finally got a day with decent weather when I had time to get out. Headed to the flatlands of the Fylde to avoid icy slopes. Highlight was the quaint Knott End ferry that took me across the Wyre estuary.

energyman

« Reply #19 on: January 24, 2015, 07:49:13 pm »
Having never ridden with studded tyres do you really feel secure in the pictured conditions ?

Andre Jute

« Reply #20 on: January 24, 2015, 07:54:49 pm »
Having never ridden with studded tyres do you really feel secure in the pictured conditions ?

I'd find the view disconcerting, and want to orientate myself properly, make sure it isn't a mescaline nightmare, before I even moved and started wondering about studs!
« Last Edit: January 24, 2015, 10:04:40 pm by Andre Jute »

David Simpson

« Reply #21 on: January 24, 2015, 08:12:58 pm »
Finally got a day with decent weather when I had time to get out. Headed to the flatlands of the Fylde to avoid icy slopes. Highlight was the quaint Knott End ferry that took me across the Wyre estuary.

Thanks for posting the photo. I thought I was seeing an optical illusion since the angle of the picture makes it appear that the road goes into the water. When I looked up that location on Google Maps, I found that it isn't an illusion!  :)

- Dave

rualexander

« Reply #22 on: January 24, 2015, 08:51:20 pm »

Yes, you can even brake confidently on solid ice, just be careful once you have stopped and put your feet down, unless you have studs in your shoes also!

energyman

« Reply #23 on: January 24, 2015, 09:00:23 pm »
thanks - I've been a bit chicken after breaking my collar bone a few years ago !
« Last Edit: January 24, 2015, 09:04:51 pm by energyman »

JimK

• Interdependent Science
« Reply #24 on: January 24, 2015, 10:05:28 pm »
Two recent experiences that have weakened my confidence...

A month ago or so I was out riding, I think my first ride after putting on the studded tires. Not a whole lot of ice about, but some. But then I was starting up a long gradual hill and there was a big glassy patch of ice all over the road, a solidly frozen puddle. Just as I was reaching it a huge road work truck passed by me very close. I got into a bit of a panic and decided to stop and put my feet down... ach! No, I don't have studded shoes! Somehow I didn't go down under those huge scary truck wheels, but wow that was a fright!

Then about a week ago I went out for a shorter ride, my standard hour loop with a nasty little hill in the middle. I was inspired to get out by a little break in the freezing weather. Ah, but that nasty little hill still had some nasty little ice patches! No real traction problem when dry, but my studded tires just couldn't hold on that slope. I ended up walking maybe 30 yards. And I really just hung onto the brakes and came back down the other side very very slowly!

geocycle

« Reply #25 on: January 24, 2015, 10:11:25 pm »
Thanks for posting the photo. I thought I was seeing an optical illusion since the angle of the picture makes it appear that the road goes into the water. When I looked up that location on Google Maps, I found that it isn't an illusion!  :)

- Dave

Yes the ferry was great. I suspect these are a dying breed as folks just drive around estuaries. The sea today was great, like a natural foam party!

leftpoole

« Reply #26 on: January 25, 2015, 09:14:03 am »
Yes the ferry was great. I suspect these are a dying breed as folks just drive around estuaries. The sea today was great, like a natural foam party!

Hello,
I live close to and use Sandbanks Ferry in Poole, Dorset. It is full up every sailing all day every day. It goes back and forth virtually without a break all day all week.
Try it one day, it cost a pound by bicycle.
Regards,
John
PS:- You can view from the outside, Millionaires homes by the beach including Harry Rednap amongst others.

Matt2matt2002

« Reply #27 on: January 25, 2015, 03:50:42 pm »
Hello folks.
Managed my first real ride of 2015 today. Lots of bad weather, snow, extra work and bike err,,, adjustments prevented me venturing far until this morning.
All pictures taken within 15 miles of my home just outside Aberdeen Scotland UK.

Strange names up here. Lord's Throat. Not been there but think its an area rather than village. I pulled over to take the snap, looked down and saw.....

A fresh kiwi fruit! Amazing. Fresh and ready to eat. Goodness knows how it came to be there. One for the pot.

Half a mile further on I went over this river. I always think of that song:
Ballad of Easy Rider by Roger MCguinn and Bob Dylan
The river flows, it flows to the sea
Wherever that river goes that's where I want to be
Flow river flow, let your waters wash down
Take me from this road to some other town

This house has a great location on the river. One day.......

Here's the Raven looking sharp.

Stopped off outside another favorite house. One day......

Brooks saddle is coming along fine. I had to use a set back arrangement since it was wider than my old Brooks Professional and I felt pushed forward. Thanks to all those folks who offered advice on that topic.

Countryside around Aberdeen is pretty flat but here is the highest hill, Bennachie. Pronounced Ben a hee.

This little fella was having his lunch.

Little village of Monimusk is my half way point. 24 mile round trip. Lots of the buildings have been protected against change and development.

Last one now. And it wouldn't be a post from me if I didn't ask a question.
I want to rotate my shifter a few degrees. What the heck is the right tool? It's not a hex or Allen key. I have tried both. It looks like a star shape?
The shop fitted it for me and if I can just rotate it a few degrees I will be able to see the numbers easier as I sit in the saddle.

Sorry - just found out it is a Torx. Any idea of the size?

Thanks folks.
Hope you enjoy seeing a little bit of Aberdeenshire.

Matt
« Last Edit: January 25, 2015, 04:15:24 pm by Matt2matt2002 »
Never drink and drive. You may hit a bump  and spill your drink

geocycle

« Reply #28 on: January 25, 2015, 03:51:52 pm »
Interesting tip john, I'll look out for that one. Earlier in the year I did the one from Southampton to hythe which was a delux version of the Knott end ferry.  

geocycle

« Reply #29 on: January 25, 2015, 03:59:43 pm »
Hi Matt,
Great pictures as usual. It's good to get out again isn't it?

Re the shifter. I think they are Torcx bolts so  my guess is you'll need a tx20 driver the same as for other bits of the hub.