Author Topic: Rides 2015 — add yours  (Read 88233 times)

Andre Jute

Re: Rides 2015 — add yours
« Reply #225 on: November 09, 2015, 01:54:23 pm »
40-50mph winds, driving rain, yech.

Perhaps we should consider moving to Canada. Of course, once the snow sets in, it'll be just at as well, sitting around the fire, that John is a first-class raconteur.

jags

« Reply #226 on: November 09, 2015, 02:14:43 pm »
Don't think i'de hack it Andre ,mind u i always had a dream of living in a van well away from the rat race  but yeah to old and set in my ways to even try .
America  sure is a beautifull country a fella with an adventurist mind sure would have a great time exploreing it.

John Saxby

« Reply #227 on: November 09, 2015, 09:46:59 pm »
You're too kind, Andre. There's a strong Celtic heritage here, though, guys -- come visit, you'd feel right at home. The winter can be tough, it's true, but you can count on three months or so for working on winter bike projects. (Less if you live west of the Rockies, where they have daffodils in Feb., as you'll know from the photos posted by Ron & Dave, in Vancouver.) (Mind you, Brazilian friends make a little jeu do mot with that word, calling it "Vanchuver", "chuver" being the Portuguese verb for "to rain".)

What most people don't know, 'cos winter gets all the attention, is that summer in these parts is glorious. There are bugs, of course, and most people feel that the summer is too short, but I usually manage about 9 months of cycling, more in a good year.

Just back from a 3-hour there-and-back across the river & into the hills: sunny, high temp of 11, brisk northerly breeze, but again, no cars on the parkways in the Gatineau, just cyclists, walkers, skiers-in-training. The woods are stark now, no foliage at all, except on the evergreens, so the woods are full of the afternoon sunshine, which reflects off a carpet of leave about 6" deep.  This happens every year, of course, but it always seems to come as a surprise, like something we're seeing for the first time.  Then, after about 30 minutes, you realize, "Well, duh, yeah, this is how it is."

Have attached some landscapes you might enjoy. These were not, strictly speaking, taken during bicycle rides. They were taken on trips where we talked about cycling, however, and I got there on 2 wheels. The first two are from a trip I made in late September to visit Jim K (and his Nomad) in Kingston-on-Hudson, north of NYC. The first is a photograph taken high above the Hudson, from the old railway bridge across the river, which has been converted into a walkway and cycle path -- fabulous spot. (New York is becoming justly famous for this sort of thing -- have a look at NYC's Highline Park, here: http://www.nycgovparks.org/parks/the-high-line  The second is a photo of Jim, at home in his neighbourhood, on Castle Point, the turnaround spot in our hike in the Shawangunks, a range of low mountains connected to the Catskills, which is famous for its rock-climbing faces. The third is a photo taken in late August from Lake-on-the-Mountain park in Prince Edward County, in the NE corner of Lake Ontario. This looks N & E up the Bay of Quinte; the left-side shore is the north shore of Lake Ontario.

jags

« Reply #228 on: November 09, 2015, 11:30:07 pm »
i'de say that last photo is bigger than ireland. ;D.

stunning country for sure ,roll on the summer.

anto.

rualexander

« Reply #229 on: November 24, 2015, 02:57:26 pm »
Nice ride in the Scottish Borders on sunday, lovely bright moonlght for the last few miles.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #230 on: November 24, 2015, 02:58:51 pm »
Simply gorgeous, Rual; thanks so much for sharing!

All the best,

Dan.

rualexander

« Reply #231 on: November 24, 2015, 02:59:04 pm »
Also first ride with new Carradice Classic saddlebag support rack, seems pretty good.

jags

« Reply #232 on: November 24, 2015, 03:59:30 pm »
Julk very kindly gave me one of those  racks (uplift) works great on the carradice bags,
i havent used it in a while hopefully it will get plenty use next year.

fantastic photos Rual stunning countryside.

anto

Andre Jute

« Reply #233 on: November 24, 2015, 09:14:35 pm »
Yay, Rual, I especially love the last two shots as art; those trees in russet silhouette are the bees' knees.

Andre Jute

« Reply #234 on: November 24, 2015, 09:35:04 pm »
Julk very kindly gave me one of those  racks (uplift) works great on the carradice bags...

Julian is a real benefactor. Back when the fitting of a fixed rather than adjustable n'lock stem caused rolling consequential adjustments that disturbed an established, proven, comfortable posture on my bike, he gave me an unobtanium dual-rail-to-micro-adjustable-seatpost adaptor that saved my beloved Brooks B73 from becoming unusable and me from the chore of having to break in another Brooks saddle if I wanted to sit comfortably. It's a piece of nearly featureless carved black plastic (see photo), and a couple of bolts, nothing the uninitiated will get excited about, but it saved hundreds of euro of expense and probably at least a month of frustration.

fantastic photos Rual stunning countryside.

I was just thinking that some of Rual's photos look amazingly like the lanes I ride here in West Cork, though his flora is clearly a bit hardier, as one would expect from the difference in latitudes.

jags

« Reply #235 on: November 24, 2015, 10:00:35 pm »
Julian is certainly one gentleman for sure ,i have a great carbon seatpose  on my dolan he gave me super guy 8) 8).

happy christmas Julian  bit early i know i hope santy brings u loads of pressies this year.

anto.

John Saxby

« Reply #236 on: November 25, 2015, 12:24:11 am »
Super photos, Rual.  Such clear skies and strong colours for late November!

JimK

• Interdependent Science
« Reply #237 on: November 29, 2015, 10:46:57 pm »
Getting to the point here when the studded tires will need to be swapped in! The short days are proving the value of a good lighting system, too!

Got out this afternoon on one of my standard local routes, the five hills: http://www.mapmyride.com/routes/view/374432393

some of the low light:

John Saxby

« Reply #238 on: December 06, 2015, 06:44:39 pm »
Last rides of 2015?  to my surprise and delight, I've managed two, no less, in the last ten days, and here we are in early December. This does happen occasionally, but maybe only once in a decade or so--I put the bikes away when the snow and ice comes, mostly because of the posturists, not the cold.

We've had a mild autumn so far this year, so a week ago I thought I'd take advantage of a very cloudy but reasonably dry and mild day to take a ride eastwards along the Ottawa River, on the eastern side of town about 20 kms from where I live. There's a hardpack gravel track that runs right along the river's edge. It's not well known, and on a late November day in almost an hour's ride along it, I saw one other cyclist and a couple of runners. This, in a metropolitan area of almost a million people. Mind you, everything was wet under foot, as we'd had a couple of centimetres of wet snow two days before, and the day that started cloudy but dry turned cloudy and drizzly when I reached the other side of town.

The photos attached show what a grey November looks like in these parts:

#1 below shows the rear of the Parliament buildings, from the North bank of the river

#2 is the old railway bridge between Ontario and Québec. It now carries cars, but is also a cycling and pedestrian route

#3 The river widens east of town. I stopped for a snack at my turnaround, completely alone.

#4  The beavers have been snacking as well, doing what beavers do.

The Raven was thoroughly spattered with grey mud after my 2-plus hours along the river, so I cleaned it up and put it away in my basement for workshop for what I thought would be at least three months.

But--who'd'a thought it??--yesterday was sunny and mild, 8 degrees with a breeze from the SW, so I too Osi for a canter up into the hills across the river, my usual 3 - 4 hour ride up to Champlain Lookout on the escarpment. This was an altogether more cheerful ride, and dozens of other cyclists thought so too -- I must have seen a hundred, including one unicyclist, who went all the way to the top, and earned my thumbs-up as "Viva!" as I passed him.

A few photos from yesterday's ride follow as attachments to the next post.

« Last Edit: December 06, 2015, 07:21:58 pm by John Saxby »

jags

« Reply #239 on: December 06, 2015, 06:48:15 pm »
can't see those photos john. ;)