Author Topic: Shortening Raven Tour chain  (Read 4200 times)

lewisnoble

Shortening Raven Tour chain
« on: January 05, 2007, 05:40:41 pm »
I should know how to do this, but as it is now approx 35 years since I did much to a chain other than clean and lube, I am at a loss.

My Tour chain needs tightening, but the eccentric is already at / near the front of its travel, so I need to move it back, remove a link and start again.

How do I do this?? Or could someone direct me to a helpful page somewhere??

Lewis

julk

Re: Shortening Raven Tour chain
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2007, 03:34:13 pm »
lewis,
This link on the Park site may cover what you are looking for
www.parktool.com/repair/readhowto.asp?id=25

You probably need to split the chain and remove two rivets worth of chain with a chain tool, then rejoin the chain with the eccentric adjustment rotated backwards to cater for the shortened chain.
Splitting and rejoining the chain will need a new replacement pin for Shimano or Campagnolo chains. Other makes may use a master link or simply don't push one rivet all the way out so that you can push it back in to rejoin the shortened chain.

The link covers all this and more with good narrative and pictures.
Hope this helps.

lewisnoble

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2007, 03:46:24 pm »
Yes, this looks promising.  Thanks, julk.

lewisnoble

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2007, 05:06:29 pm »
That's right, there was no 'leeway' on the adjustment when I took delivery of the bike.  I run on a 39 - 16 ring / sprocket combination, which suits me well but perhaps does not easily fit in terms of chain length.

But no I have seen some of the pictures, I am sure that my mate (with all the tools) and I can sort it.

lewis

PH

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2007, 03:08:31 pm »
you could use a SRAM powerlink to rejoin the chain, cost about a quid from any bike shop and can be used on any make of chain - just be sure you get the right width (8 or 9spd)
You might also find that taking a full link out is too much.  I use a half link (from SJS)