Author Topic: One year time trial.  (Read 2742 times)

triaesthete

One year time trial.
« on: January 11, 2015, 09:24:31 pm »

Steven Abraham is setting out to average 205 miles a day for a year  :o

http://www.oneyeartimetrial.org.uk/

macspud

Re: One year time trial.
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2015, 05:31:01 am »
That is some task he's set himself! It's amazing to think that the current record has stood since 1939, and is 75,065 miles.... Wow!

I'd never heard about the record before now, thanks for posting the link.

Just as well he doesn't live up here in the Highlands as the winds would have been hampering him somewhat recently. Having said that if there was a decent straight road with the wind directly behind him, he could have got close to beating that bicycle land speed record and that's without any rocket propulsion. ;)

It's blowing a hoolie out there again, at least the powers back on again, after a few days being reminded what lifes like when the plug gets pulled.

Anyway it will be interesting to keep an eye on his progress.

« Last Edit: January 12, 2015, 05:47:05 am by macspud »

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2015, 06:31:14 am »
I've learned long ago to never write anyone off; people are capable of absolutely amazing feats, and I wish him all the best. I feel sure he will do an astonishing distance in the year. He might well make his goal.

My only real concern is the long-term toll this will take on his body That's a lot of distance with no recovery time built-in. Tissues break down, muscles fatigue...it is a long time on the saddle and in essentially one position (within fairly narrow parameters).

Best,

Dan.

triaesthete

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2015, 08:01:54 am »

If anyone can do it Steven can.

Even more is possible!  "Tommy Godwin (rode) a heroic 75,065 miles in a single year. Tommy then rode on to complete 100,000 miles in 500 days a nice round average of 200 miles per day."

Slammin Sammy

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2015, 12:59:48 pm »
I don't want to put a dampener on the enthusiasm, but...

Whilst I admire this determination to break a long-standing cycling record, I can't help a sense of regret at the futility of the attempt. Maybe my age is a factor, and that I am highly unlikely to EVER ride 205 miles (330km) in ONE day, let alone average that over an entire year, but... Isn't there supposed to be life outside of cycling?

Spending an entire year in that pursuit seems to me to be such a tragic waste or misuse of the limited time we're given. The loneliness, dogged persistence, and the loved ones (and others) whose lives are on hold while you pursue YOUR dream seems very self-indulgent. Add to that the near certainty of long term injury, and I can't see the value in it.

I also note he's 11 days in, and averaging about 20 miles less than he needs. I suppose the plan is to make those up over summer, but at what point do you throw in the towel, as the goal gets further away?

As they say, YMMV,  :)

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2015, 07:36:28 am »
I see Steve is still churning along. All good wishes to him.

Bruce Berlekey just rode 6,000+ miles in a month, an average of just over 193mi/day.
http://www.bicycling.com/news/featured-stories/bruce-berkeley-talks-month-record-motivation-and-what-s-next?cid=socTN_20150218_40709246&adbid=10153119841131670&adbpl=fb&adbpr=24470421669
I think Steve is on-track to beat this record.

Best,

Dan.

John Saxby

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2015, 02:14:02 pm »
the long-term toll this will take on his body
   I recall reading an interview with Eddy Merckx, who said that his two one-hour records (set about 5 - 6 years apart, if memory serves, 1968 and 1973?) took more out of him than anything else in his cycling career.  Whatever turns your crank, I guess, and I wish Steven A well, but me, I'd listen to the great man.