Author Topic: BioLogic FreeDrive Chain Wrap - Anyone Tried It?  (Read 5184 times)

Slammin Sammy

BioLogic FreeDrive Chain Wrap - Anyone Tried It?
« on: January 07, 2015, 12:50:08 pm »
I though I initially saw this in the Thorn forum, but now I can't find mention of it.

http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/biologic-freedrive-chain-wrap-prod28074/?geoc=us

Anyone here ever used one? It appears to have some advantages over the Hebie, not least of which are cost and versatility, although it obviously does not completely enclose the chain the way the Hebie does.

I may get one for my wife's Raven step-through. She's got a 17T rear cog and has a bad habit of dismounting on the right side and eventually getting black chainlube on her legs. I've tried behavioural modification without success. Now it's time for an engineering solution.  ???

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
Re: BioLogic FreeDrive Chain Wrap - Anyone Tried It?
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2015, 04:39:03 pm »
Yes, Sam, it has appeared here previously, and I have fitted some for friends an tried them myself. The design is an old one going back to the late 1970s/early 1980s here, and they used to be popular in bright colors when fitted to BMX bikes.

Sadly, I found them lacking in some ways. While they do help prevent oily chain "leg tattoos", they have some other characteristics that make them less than stellar. For a full recap of the discussion, start here: http://www.thorncycles.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=4154.msg18928#msg18928

For what it is worth, I have found a bash guard does a really nice job preventing all the usual chain -> leg oily transfers. If it happens on-tour, the most effective means for removal is the interior of a down sleeping bag, the more expensive the better! :D Don't ask how I know this.  ;)

All the best,

Dan.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2015, 04:41:26 pm by Danneaux »

Slammin Sammy

« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2015, 07:11:45 pm »
Don't ask how I know this.  ;)

I remember the story.  :D

Thanks!

energyman

« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2015, 09:46:31 pm »
Belt Bike is a possible answer ?

mickeg

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2015, 01:55:00 am »
My bash guard used to have 52 teeth on it until I sawed them off and filed down the cut marks.  52T is still stamped into it.  I however sprayed it with black paint since the photo.

David Simpson

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2015, 03:43:34 am »
That's a nice looking bash guard. How did you cut it in such a nice circle?

- Dave

mickeg

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2015, 10:28:47 am »
That's a nice looking bash guard. How did you cut it in such a nice circle?

- Dave

I used a saber saw to cut off the teeth.  The blade teeth accumulated a lot of Aluminum, I should have changed blades half way through but did not, the last 10 or so teeth were pretty hard to cut.

After I cut it, I put it on the crank and then turned the crank while holding a file on it to file down the cut marks.  Turning the crank with a file that way filed down the cut marks quite well, I might have spent 10 minutes filing it but it was worth the time.

I thought that the bash guards I could find for a compact crank were too expensive, I got that chainring for less than $10 USD.  It was an experiment with a rather successful outcome.

Andre Jute

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2015, 10:55:05 am »
That's a goodlooking bash guard, Mick. Probably stronger than those you can buy too.