Author Topic: Best Chain for Rohloff?  (Read 21438 times)

freddered

Best Chain for Rohloff?
« on: January 15, 2007, 09:47:27 pm »
What is the best chain to get as a replacement on my Raven Tour?

Are there single-speed chains that are stronger because they do not need to flex laterally over derailleur sprockets?

What would you fit and why?

PH

Re: Best Chain for Rohloff?
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2007, 10:50:58 pm »
I got very good life out of the standard SRAM 8 speed chain, over 12,000 miles.  I've now replaced it with a Connex Intrax 7Z1, designed for single speed and hub gears, with a good anti rust coating and cheap at £11. A bit early to give an opinion, certainly looks tough!

stutho

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2007, 08:48:28 am »
PH did you get any rust on the SRAM before the 12,000 mark?  I am using a SRAM 68 (with 4000 miles on it) which has started to corrode slightly.  It get oiled regularly (1- 2 times a week) but round here it rains two days in three!  The chain is fine other than the surface rust, not stiff at all.

PH

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2007, 01:44:08 pm »
Is the SRAM 68 the one with both sets of plates shiny nickel plated?  If so that’s the one I had on and also the ones I use on my best derailleur bike.  I’ve never had rust on any of them and I’m not as good at keeping them clean and oiled as I maybe ought to be.  My Raven came with a cheaper SRAM chain (PC48?) with black plates, it started rusting within a week so I replaced it with the better one.  The surface rust was probably doing no harm, but you know how it is with a new bike[;)]

stutho

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2007, 03:11:03 pm »
Yep the 68 is the nickel plated one.  It rains ALL the time here and the bike get used 6 days a week so maybe that’s why it has started to rust.  I also cycle along the side of a salt mash every day!  I am currently using Rohloff chain lube but I am thing of switching to purple extreme as it claims great thing in the prevention of corrosion.  All that said I have never got a chain up to 4000+ miles before and I don't think I will be changing it any time soon!

StuntPilot

• Tour on a Bike
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2014, 11:59:29 am »
I was contemplating the KMC Z610HX chain recently. I did a bit of net searching and it seemed to get great reviews for single gear/hub use. It is nickel plated and has a 'no drop' design which apparently is more resistant to chain 'stretch' (wear).

http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/kmc-z610hx-1-2-inch-x-3-32-inch-silver-chain-prod13478/

I called SJS Cycles to discuss this and was advised that the current recommended replacement was the KMC X1 Rohloff chain. It apparently is now being fitted as standard to all new Thorn Rohloff bikes and is the best replacement for the now discontinued Rohloff S-L-T 99. It is three times the price but I took the bait and ordered one. I was assured that it would easily last more than three times longer than the KMC Z610HX.

Will post my thoughts and observations here down the line as there remains quite a bit of life yet in the current chain (also a KMC nickel plated chain but not sure which one!)

When I first got the Raven Tour I cleaned up the original KMC Z51 (not nickel plated) and Purple Extreme seemed to do a good job keeping it rust free.

Big_Jimbo

« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2014, 12:43:31 pm »
I'm running a KMC X1 on my mountain bike. It seems to have survived the worst of a Peak District winter and spring with no appreciable wear. Having said that I try to keep it pretty well lubed.

Matt2matt2002

« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2014, 04:12:01 pm »
Thanks folks.
I have just bought a KMC X1 via eBay.
Saved over a fiver on SJS and they are throwing in x2 spate links.
Look forward to trying it out.

Matt
Never drink and drive. You may hit a bump  and spill your drink

Tiberius

« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2016, 09:39:44 am »
Resurrecting an old thread here to prove that I have done a bit of a search before I start asking dumb questions..... ;D

Is the KMC X1 still the 'default' chain for Rohloff equipped bikes ??

Any 'Yorkshire versions' (cheaper) that I should consider ??...

Thank you....

mickeg

« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2016, 02:57:48 pm »
I buy the cheapest KMC chains I can find. 

Note that they make two different widths of 8 speed chains, so if you get a spare quick link, you need to make sure you get the right one.
http://kmcchain.us/connectortype/8-speed-below-ml/

I am quick to change them, generally at 0.75 percent stretch, that way they do not wear the cog or chainring very much. 

Andre Jute

« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2016, 09:45:49 pm »
In the opinion of some manufacturers with extensive test facilities that I know, the KMC Z8 gives the most kilometres per euro spent. Other manufacturers, like Thorn, think the KMC X1 is the best, period; I'm not aware of any forum member yet wearing one out, so we don't have a relative miles per pound number. My own opinion is that the X1 commands such a premium that the X8 or Z8 will prove to be much cheaper when we can compare miles per pound.

I've had the KMC Z8 and it is first class; in one bound I multiplied my mileage by between two and three times over the inexpensive Shimano chains I used before. The problem is that most mailorder merchants sell so few of the Z8 that they don't get much of a discount to pass on. Compare the price of the derailleur equivalent KMC X8, of which almost every dealer sells a ton, and therefore gets a huge discount which he can pass on to customers. So I buy the X8 on sale and put them by.

I'm impressed by the X8 but I am, and have always been, very heavy on chains; if you're a spinner with a light touch it is possible something cheaper from the KMC line may be slightly more economical for you. I have concluded that a derailleur chain, because of the flex required, is probably ipso facto a better chain than a single-speed chain of otherwise similar materials and construction.

There is an extreme experiment in running an X8 on the factory lube alone, no added lube, at http://thorncyclesforum.co.uk/index.php?topic=6813.0 -- note that those mileages, which by themselves may not seem much chop, are between two and three times further than anything I ever achieved before on other chains.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2016, 11:41:02 pm by Andre Jute »

Tiberius

« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2016, 01:11:40 pm »
Gents...Many thanks for your replies.

FWIW I am inclined to agree that I don't need to splash out on the KMC X1....this is my first Rohloff build (my first build of anything to be honest) and I just wondered if I was missing something.

Thank you... :)

John Saxby

« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2016, 01:51:41 am »
SRAM 8-spd chains work fine as well, also inexpensive.

buffet

« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2021, 06:33:44 am »
I've been using KMC e1 EPT chains on my singlespeed bike and now on the Rohloff. Chain is fine, except for it's durability - it elongates to 0.75 after around 1500-2000km only. So recently I came across this chain - Wipperman Connex 7E8:
https://www.sjscycles.co.uk/chains/wippermann-7e8-332-inch-chain-136-links/

It looks like a real monster in the 3/32 world. Anyone have any experience with this chain on a Rohloff?

P.S. I don't use a chain tensioner nor a chainglider, so so width of the chain is not an issue for me.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2021, 06:43:55 am by buffet »

martinf

« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2021, 07:03:55 am »
This is supposed to be very durable:

https://www.kmcchain.eu/10000km

But I haven't tried it, as most of the family bikes have Chaingliders, which seem to significantly extend the service life of ordinary chains.