Author Topic: Pitlock skewers  (Read 7747 times)

geocycle

Pitlock skewers
« on: January 15, 2007, 08:41:11 pm »
Does anyone use these?  They look like a simple way of increasing security.  Are they easy to fit?  Do they work OK with the Rohloff?  Any views appreciated.

pdamm

Re: Pitlock skewers
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2007, 09:38:15 pm »
I have one in the Rohloff of my Raven Tour and one in the front wheel with a SON hub.  They work well for me giving me piece of mind when I leave the bike locked up.  I only need to use one locking device to protect the whole bike.  I carry the pitlock "socket" + a small shifting spanner to undo it.  The spanner comes in handy to tighten a few other things on the bike if they come loose.  It and the tools only add a small amount of weight to the bike, trivial really when you consider the weight of the bike + rider + any gear I am carrying.  It probably takes an additional 30 seconds to change a flat compared to a quick release skewer.  I'd definitely get a pair if I bought the bike again.

PH

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2007, 11:25:44 pm »
If you get them, keep well greased and undo them frequently, I’ve had them seize, it’s no fun trying to fix a puncture with the wheel in place.  The first time it hadn’t been undone for a few months, I had to cut a slot in the dome end with an angle grinder to stop it turning, they’re certainly secure!  It happened again a couple of months later, that time I managed to hold the dome with a pair of mole grips. Pitlock did replace it and their website now tells you to grease well before use, something it didn’t before.  
I don’t know where you’ve seen them, you can buy direct
http://www.pitlock.de/en/sortiment/index.html
My experiences have put me off, I now use Trax security skewers, not as secure as the Pitlocks, hopefully enough to deter the opportunist thief and half the price.  I’ve only ever seen them on Ebay

kwkirby01

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2007, 08:46:40 am »
I had a set fitted to my Thorn at purchase time. It can be a bit fiddly to get the nuts on and off, and to get them tight enough.

That said, they do seem very secure and are a good investment if you leave your bike in public places.

Kevin
Kevin K. Glasgow

geocycle

« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2007, 12:38:12 pm »
Thanks guys, I decided to give pitlocks a go.  I fitted them last night using plenty of grease!  I was a bit suprised at how much of the bolt poked through the nut so I put some extra bolts on to protect the threads -is this normal?  

I was disappointed to find quite a lot of rust (and not much grease) on the shimano deore QR skewer from the front wheel in just 5 months use -this was the first time I had fully removed the skewer.  The big stainless steel QR through the Rohloff was fine.

Going to a black tie dinner tonight so will be rolling up on the raven in my tux confident that the wheels will still be in place when I come out!

stutho

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2007, 01:10:08 pm »
quote:
lot of rust (and not much grease) on the shimano deore QR skewer

I had the same problem with a Shimano XT Skewer after a few months of use.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2007, 01:10:40 pm by stutho »

julk

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2007, 02:03:09 pm »
I found the Pitlock skewer was slightly longer than necessary for my front SON hub. It stopped me using a bar thru the pit to undo it. I cut about 6mm off the skewer and filed off any sharp edges.
The rear Pitlock skewer was fine as fitted.

wookster

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2007, 05:08:02 am »
I fitted a set to my drop bar Roberts, no probs at all. Then when my raven arrived i transfered them to that but the rear one was to short, my solution was to buy a length of 5mm stainless threaded bar and cut it to the required length, unscrew the end from the pitlock spindle, screw it on the new length of bar, drop of thread lock and all is sorted. That was my way of doing it and have no probs at all..Plus 'I' still have a nice set of hoops. Use them it will save you a lot of grief when someone else might want your wheels..