Author Topic: Extended field test: Cinq5 Smart Power Pack II  (Read 8080 times)

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
Re: Extended field test: Cinq5 Smart Power Pack II
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2016, 05:47:41 PM »
Thanks, Dave! Eager to hear and hoping for a good solution for you.

If all goes bad, I'd surely contact Tout Terrain and see if they can offer further suggestions or a warranty solution.

All the best,

Dan.

DaveHughes

« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2016, 10:43:06 AM »
Well it's sorted but I don't know why.  I decided to run the battery through a couple of complete charge/discharge cycles and following that, it seems it will successfully charge an iPhone 6 plus - both whilst taking a charge itself and without.

I know that there is no memory effect (though some research differs) on Lithium Ion batteries as opposed to NiCd or Nimh but just thought I'd see whether a complete cycle would have an effect.  It seems to have done.

Currently seeing how far it will charge an iPhone 6 plus from dead - in theory the batteries are a similar size but with the charging inefficiency will be interesting to see how much of a charge it can give it.

So I'm happy but none the wiser!

Dave

pavel

• Way-Word-Way Blog
« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2016, 12:25:28 PM »
I've seen cables play havoc in this way ... but was the cable the same?

DaveHughes

« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2016, 04:19:01 PM »
The cable was indeed the same....

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2016, 05:58:09 PM »
Delightful news and outcome, Dave! Thanks so much for the followup.  :)

All the best,

Dan.

mrGray

« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2018, 09:19:43 PM »
Any updates? How does this compare to their new produce 'The Plug V Plus' which has a cache battery integrated?

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #21 on: August 08, 2018, 10:04:44 PM »
Any updates? How does this compare to their new produce 'The Plug V Plus' which has a cache battery integrated?
Hi MrGray; welcome to the Thorn Cycling Forum.

My Cinq5 Smart Power Pack II continues to soldier on as before, so no change in my review to date. It has not failed in any way and works as it did when I wrote my review.

I don't have the "Plug V Plus" available to test at this time, so I can't make a direct comparison. However, from what I can see comparing the published specs, the battery included with the Plug V Plus has only 50% the battery capacity of the Smart Power Pack II -- 1,500mAh vs 3,000mAh -- so it would completely replace or supplant a non-battery equipped Plug model coupled with a Smart Power Pack II. The onboard battery of the Plug V Plus would seem to be intended to provided uninterrupted USB power during brief stops so gadgets would not reset themselves or require intervention. The doubled capacity of the Smart Power Pack II would allow for much longer stops or riding longer at slower speeds when full USB current would otherwise be unavailable.

The Plug V Plus has some other features that set it apart from lesser/earlier versions of the Plug. Among them is a circuit that allows limited charging with lights on, cutting back on the charging function to make sure full drawn power is available for lighting as a priority.

Best,

Dan.