Author Topic: May you reach as safe a harbour as this one: Merry Christmas, everyone  (Read 7753 times)

Andre Jute

Re: May you reach as safe a harbour as this one: Merry Christmas, everyone
« Reply #15 on: December 26, 2014, 09:48:09 am »
Very rare for me to wear overtrousers, and then normally I wear plastic trousers against the cold rather than the rain; of course, I routinely cycle in long trousers: I don't even own a pair of cycling shorts. Usually I find that for progressively colder weather normal cotton, thermal weave, and then angora long johns not only do the job well but are much more comfortable to wear because they breathe well.  I have a Berghaus Goretex jacket but it isn't much chop for cycling, too bulky and stiff and awkward (it's the same jacket Chris Bonington wore up Mount Everest, so it's good on the mountains, which is what I bought it for). I prefer the thin standard type of year round cycling jacket (mine is currently an Altura Night Vision Evo) fitted loosely enough to wear two or three progressively thicker layers underneath but generally I wear only a long-sleeved cotton undershirt and a cotton poloneck shirt under it and depend on the exercise to keep me warm.

You won't believe this but I have -- wait for it! -- a lightly padded leather bomber jacket that is kept specifically for wearing close to 0ēC. It does a wonderful job keeping the wind from interfering with my ride, so that I don't have to slow down, and if the ride is 40-90 minutes (and my rides are rarely longer, even in summer; in winter that's usually all the riding time there is) you don't work up enough heat for it to become hot and sweaty. It's just a matter of judging the point at which it is smart to switch over from a cycling jacket with layers underneath to leather.

Of course, if I were on the bike all day, I'd have to make different arrangements. But these work very well for a recreational/utility cyclist. I've noticed that the people who ride with me started out with the "proper" gear and gradually came to wear everyday street clothes too on their bikes. That raises the likelihood that they felt social pressure to "do the right" thing by wearing Lycra on their bikes, until they saw that I cycle in khakis or cords.

Remarks about saddles by Martin yesterday make me wonder about something. A bicycle saddle isn't just about the width and the materials; there is a time element: for instance, Gazelle's top-range saddle, a gel job from Selle Italia, is actually rather good to sit on for an hour or two or three, but then becomes sweaty and slippery and hard in all the wrong places; Utopia's base saddle, a Terry concoction with a slit, is a pain in the posterior for the first three hours and then is rather good; a Brooks saddle, if chosen correctly for width according to back angle on the bike, is a pain for a few hundred kilometres and then permanently either the best, or the most hateful, of saddles, according to individual experience.

I sit on a Herman Miller Mirra chair and it has been very successful for me for many years now. The seat is some kind of mesh, and the back a perforated plastic. Though I it in the chair well north of 12 hours every day, sometime 16 hours, both surfaces are, by a combination of inherent qualities of the materials, and their shaping, and their suspension, pretty stressfree on respectively the Jute bum and the small of the Jute back. It's a chair that just works; it's fit for purpose.  I'm just wondering why no one has tried turning one or the other of these surfaces into a bicycle seat. What works on an office chair...

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #16 on: December 26, 2014, 04:53:21 pm »
I'm just wondering why no one has tried turning one or the other of these surfaces into a bicycle seat. What works on an office chair...
Oh, but they have, Andre! See: http://www.togoparts.com/articles/article.php?artid=68
...and...
http://www.dx.com/p/genuine-tioga-spyder-twin-tail-race-saddle-black-93054?tc=USD&gclid=COb4p7CU5MICFcSWtAodxhsAwA#.VJ2RBIAg

...among many other mesh-and-plastic-grid variations for the road-bike market over the years. Mesh seating is almost the default standard in the recumbent bicycle world as well.

I have personally tried both the above saddles and found them sadly wanting. As with my mesh office chair (the back is fine, but my own thinly upholstered bottom means I also need to sit on a cushion atop the mesh), I found the design actually concentrated the pressure of sitting forces rather than relieving it. Other people I know own these these saddles and love them so much they will use no other.

Just goes to show, the requirements in saddles are as varied as the people using them. I think for me it is riding position. Tilting forward in my preferred 45° back angle where my ischial tuberosities converge and become more narrow but not so much as if rode on the drops, a mid-width B.17 works well (second runner-up was an Avocet Touring II I used for many years). I suspect if I sat more upright a wider saddle would do my fine -- and a much narrower one would do instead if I habitually rode in a go-fast position, as the greater part of rider experience shows. Come to think of it, I do tend to lean forward in my office chair hunched over my keyboard in about the same position as I tour.

Hmm. What I need is a B.17 office chair....

All the best,

Dan.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2014, 05:22:15 pm by Danneaux »

Slammin Sammy

« Reply #17 on: December 26, 2014, 05:06:16 pm »
Although I'm a bit late to the conversation, I want to add my best wishes for a happy holiday and brighter new year to one and all. Thanks for making this such a fun place to hang out!  ;D

Sam

Andre Jute

« Reply #18 on: December 27, 2014, 01:11:27 am »
I knew you'd know if it had been done, Dan. Can't say I like the looks of either... The mesh one in particular looks like a saddle that I got on a Trek and rode less than ten feet before I chucked it off, saying, "I'm not a masochist."

Hmm. What I need is a B.17 office chair....

You and Kaiser Wilhelm both!

(Veelee, as he was called in the family, was a smallish man, further handicapped by being crippled -- possibly by polio; can't remember and don't have the time to look it up. In a nation of warriors he made up for not being horsy by sitting at his desk on a saddle (horse).

Actually it's not such a funny idea. A Brooks saddle, mounted at a proper height on a base with a rail for your feet, would most likely make an excellent draughting chair.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #19 on: December 27, 2014, 05:44:03 am »
A Brooks saddle, mounted at a proper height on a base with a rail for your feet, would most likely make an excellent draughting chair.
Probably would! I actually had homemade version of this for awhile: http://reestore.com/products/victoria

I made mine by cutting an old bike frame in two just ahead of the seat lug and just forward of the bottom bracket, spreading the rear triangle and mounting the saddle on a seatpost. It looked like this: https://c2.staticflickr.com/8/7002/6838135937_f2c5c3002c.jpg

It worked well enough as a stool and would have been nice for drafting, but I missed the occasional back support when at the computer -- really missed it when I leaned rearward and found it wasn't there! My expressions, in succession: :o :-[ :-\ ::) ;D

Here's one for you: http://freshome.com/2011/12/12/creative-chair-design-ikeas-dalfred-stool-with-brooks-saddle/
...and...
One for Kaiser Wilhelm: http://www.backdesigns.com/Health-benefits-of-saddle-sitting.aspx

All the best,

Dan.

Andre Jute

« Reply #20 on: December 27, 2014, 11:44:30 pm »

"And this is my friend Dan. He just looks like a conservative. He's never less than a mile ahead of the curve!"

AND

"What goes round, comes round."