Author Topic: Thorn flat track bar.  (Read 4518 times)

Mike Ayling

Thorn flat track bar.
« on: December 23, 2014, 04:58:58 am »
I am considering spending some of my hard earned on a Mercury with flat bars.

My handlebar choices are Thorn narrow bar or Thorn flat track bar.

Does anyone have any experience of the flat track bar?

Mike

martinf

Re: Thorn flat track bar.
« Reply #1 on: December 23, 2014, 06:24:36 am »
I tried a Thorn flat track bar to try on my old bike before getting a new Raven Tour.

On long rides I get hand pain with flat mountain-bike bars (not just Thorn flat track, any simple fairly straight handlebar).

This could be addressed to some extent by using bar ends, but I finally decided to have drops, as I use the position with my hands on the hoods a lot of the time on long distance rides. With drops and repeater levers I can brake from all 3 hand positions, I can't do this if using bar ends on straight bars.

With increasing age I expect I will eventually go to North Road type bars rather than typical mountain bike bars if I can no longer use drops comfortably.

My Thorn flat track bar is now on my utility bike, which gets used for local rides.

As far as I can see the main difference between Thorn narrow and Thorn flat track is the angle - narrow is 5 degrees, flat track is 10 degrees. Both bars have graduations to easily trim the width

Neil Jones

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2014, 06:49:23 am »
I've had Thorn Flat Track Bars on my RST from new and are really pleased with them. I had to cut them to size as they were too wide but that was easy enough to do. I have SJSC rubber bar ends which have been great. I mainly use the bike for commuting and 60 miles is the most I've done on a day ride but found them very comfortable. I think they would look great on a Mercury, good luck.

Regards,
Neil

geocycle

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2014, 08:24:41 am »
I've had Thorn Flat Track Bars on my RST from new and are really pleased with them. I had to cut them to size as they were too wide but that was easy enough to do. I have SJSC rubber bar ends which have been great. I mainly use the bike for commuting and 60 miles is the most I've done on a day ride but found them very comfortable. I think they would look great on a Mercury, good luck.

Regards,
Neil

I'd agree with that having them on my RST. Done thousands of miles without any problems.  I changed from comfort bars to track bars to enable me to better use ergon bar ends. I get less wrist problems on these than the comfort bars, but that might be more to do with subtle changes in reach and height.

in4

« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2014, 09:24:38 am »
SJS have a returned Mercury for sale right now. Wonder if its your size?

http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/thorn-mercury-550l-team-white-rohloff-audax-fast-touring-bike-used-prod36928/

In seasonally festive colours too. Ho! Ho! Ho!

Mike Ayling

« Reply #5 on: December 23, 2014, 09:45:01 am »

http://www.sjscycles.co.uk/thorn-mercury-550l-team-white-rohloff-audax-fast-touring-bike-used-prod36928/

It would fit me alright but but it is set up for 28 X 622 tyres maximum and I want to run 32 X 622 with the front V brake option but otherwise very tempting!.

Mike

geocycle

« Reply #6 on: December 23, 2014, 12:24:32 pm »

An expensive way of buying some handle bars! Nice build although I'd do without the Ti skewers for a dynohub. Like you say festive colours that someone might appreciate...

DAntrim

« Reply #7 on: December 23, 2014, 02:11:02 pm »
I've had the flat track bars and ergon GP5's for the past 2 months on my CT and have found them to be very very comfortable, with no aches in my wrist / hands as I had with drops, though I do find drops to be to narrow for comfort.