Author Topic: dynamo lights on my audax  (Read 6638 times)

honesty

dynamo lights on my audax
« on: December 17, 2014, 11:09:51 am »
right, Im thinking of setting my audax up with a dynamo setup. I have one on my tourer which works fine. This though is intentionally a bit knackered looking, so I'm not that worried that the wiring is ran across the bike and held in place by strips of electrical tape. I dont want this on my audax. So how do I run wiring to the front light (probably going to be a Luxos U) and to the rear mudguard light without the wiring being obvious?

As a bonus question, has anyone mudguard mounted a Secula rear light, and is there enough space with 28mm tyres for it to fit properly?

Neil Jones

Re: dynamo lights on my audax
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2014, 01:08:33 pm »
Daneaux has done a cracking job on his Nomad, I'm not up with technical links etc so your best bet is to type a search for 'Dynamo Wiring' or 'Routing' and you will probably get it. There are some excellent photos too.
Regards,
Neil

jags

« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2014, 02:31:00 pm »
what i did with the sherpa was to paint the cable ties the exact same colour as the frame you would be hard pushed to spot them..

but as neil said hard to beat Dans  job .

jags.

fossala

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2014, 02:43:58 pm »
Anyone got a link to pictures of Dan's job?
Cheers.

jags

« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2014, 02:46:27 pm »
try the tech section . ;)

honesty

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2014, 03:06:50 pm »
its here: http://www.thorncycles.co.uk/forums/index.php?topic=3896.0

Nice job for sure, but uses cable ties which would show up more against my blue bike as opposed to his black sherpa. One suggestion I've had from the CTC forum is helicopter tab it to the bottom of the down tube, which seems to be a workable solution to me, as well as adding extra chip protection to that area of the bike.

jags

« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2014, 03:15:08 pm »
seen a utube video one time guy used a vey very thin wire  to use on rear light i shall hunt for it stayed tuned.
jags.

jags

« Reply #7 on: December 17, 2014, 03:21:00 pm »

leftpoole

« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2014, 06:22:02 pm »
Hello
As the resident expert, if you send me a PM with your email address, I will send you pictures of how it should be done!
Best regards,
John  ;D ;D ;D

martinf

« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2014, 09:03:22 pm »
As a bonus question, has anyone mudguard mounted a Secula rear light, and is there enough space with 28mm tyres for it to fit properly?

Yes, not on an Audax, on my old 700C tourer with bigger frame clearances than an Audax, but fitted with 28 mm tyres and narrow mudguards adjusted to be fairly close-fitting.

There needs to be enough space under the rear of the mudguard to fit the nut that fixes the Secula, if there isn't, it should be possible to move the rear of the mudguard further out on the stays, perhaps at the expense of looking less tidy.

Secula is smaller and lighter than my previous mudguard fitting lamps, so less inclined to waggle the mudguard.

leftpoole

« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2014, 12:26:17 pm »
REAR LAMP HIDDEN (?) LIGHTING CABLES.

http://www.pbase.com/leftpoole/lighting/

For anyone (?) who may be slightly interested, I have uploaded two sets of pictures of my 'hidden' cable routing!
Enjoy and if you already have a Dynamo front light fitted this should assist fitting a rear light.
If you do not have a front light dynamo system already fitted, please ask someone else  ;D
I hope this is of help particularly to the person who first requested help. He has not actually responded to my message to him (so far).
Regards,
John

jags

« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2014, 03:51:33 pm »
hell of a job john love that condor nice colour .
i gave up on the dynamo i use good battery lights for night riding not that i do a lot this time of year.
 anto.