Author Topic: Send-off wishes for cyclists — a wishlist  (Read 2999 times)

Andre Jute

Send-off wishes for cyclists — a wishlist
« on: December 13, 2014, 11:47:33 pm »
I wish people seeing you off on your bike wouldn't say, "Be careful," or "Ride safely".
I, and you, and every cyclist, already knows the roads aren't safe, and cyclists should remain alert. It's depressing to hear it again and again.

I'd much rather they said:

"Ride tall!"

After all, the roads belong to the cyclists as much as to the motorists.

Or, equally good,

"Ride with a sense of wonder!"

There is so much to see in nature, and the cyclist is in an especially privileged position to be in closer commune with nature than almost everyone else.

What would you like to hear as a send-off wish when you ride off on your bike?

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
Re: Send-off wishes for cyclists — a wishlist
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2014, 05:47:44 am »
What would you like to hear as a send-off wish when you ride off on your bike?
"You're always welcome, but may it be awhile before you return", knowing how much I love travel and touring.

I heard these very words a number of times on my big tour last summer, and found them delightful.

A variation started with "When you come back to see us next year...".

I also heard -- upon arriving quite unexpectedly, and from complete strangers -- "We've been expecting you", delivered before the most welcoming of hospitality, sometimes being gifted the keys to their homes. For a brief time, I found myself the owner-operator of a Romanian pension when a family emergency called the owners away in the middle of the night with no expected time of return and they felt comfortable leaving the entire operation in my hands.

In Eastern Europe (where people generally had a far better grasp of English than I had of their language), I was often greeted with "Goodbye" and sent forth with "Hello-hello!". I grew to love this, and thought of it as "Hello to Adventure and whatever comes next"; perhaps the best sendoff of all and what I'd most wish to hear again! Not too strange when a Bulgarian head-shake means "yes" and a nod means "no".

That said, I don't mind the more usual cautions of "Be careful" or "Ride safely", figuring they're well-intended and delivered because I'm valued and cared for. I'm a glass half-full sort of fellow, and always put a positive spin on things. A good attitude is the best tool in my kit.

The world is full of welcoming, wonderful people, and I wish I could convey that to every cycle-tourist who has butterflies of concern before departure. By far, the majority of folks you meet will be the best of types and if you let go and accept their hospitality, your trip will be more about people than places, leaving you with precious memories that transcend anything you'll see -- and friends to last a lifetime. You're a true adventurer when you don't have a pang of homesickness because "home" is wherever you are at the moment.

All the best,

Dan.
« Last Edit: December 14, 2014, 06:41:55 am by Danneaux »

Matt2matt2002

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2014, 10:54:40 am »
My daughter said, " Come back with all your teeth".
It had me wondering if she knew something I didn't.
Never drink and drive. You may hit a bump  and spill your drink

julk

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2014, 11:51:49 am »
I would like to hear 'have fun'
Julian.

Relayer

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2014, 03:28:26 pm »
My wife usually see me off with "why aren't you wearing your helmet?!?"

'twould be better if she said "you look great in that Campagnolo hat!".  8)

jags

« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2014, 06:01:20 pm »
 ME-June i away for a spin,
Wife,ok,
me -see you later,
wife, ok
me -will you be here when i get back,
wife -why
me -should i bring a spare key,
wife,-bring a key
me-so your going out
wife will you for god sake go for you spin it will be dark before you leave the feckin house.
ah yeah she loves me really  ::)

anto.