Author Topic: one sided SPD pedal  (Read 7695 times)

geocycle

Re: one sided SPD pedal
« Reply #15 on: December 04, 2014, 05:36:21 pm »
How do you find the MT71s Ian?  They are hard to find in the shops and I'm always nervous about buying shoes online.

mickeg

« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2014, 01:59:51 am »
Today I wore Merrill Moab with an internal Goretex liner and wool socks, it was about 25 degrees F (or roughly minus 5 degrees C) and after about 30 km my toes were pretty numb.  I think hiking boots next time I venture out in the cold. 

I don't like to wear cleated shoes when there is ice, if I start to slide I want my feet to be free faster than the few extra milliseconds it would take to uncleat the shoes.  That is one advantage to a pedal (M324) that has cleat attachment on one side, platform on the other.  I can wear anything I might want to wear on them.

Thanks for the link to the Shimano shoes, I was unaware of biking shoes with a Goretex liner.

Audax hopeful

« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2014, 10:11:16 am »
I've found winter overshoes very effective. They can be hard to pull onto the shoes, but once fitted I leave them on for duration of winter. They do a good job of water and windproofing cycle shoes whilst leaving the cleats available to click in.

Cycling in very icy conditions is probably best done in hiking boots - or not at all!

Nich

IanW

« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2014, 01:39:13 pm »
How do you find the MT71s Ian?  They are hard to find in the shops and I'm always nervous about buying shoes online.

I get on really well with the MT71s, they are definitely waterproof and breathe  quite well in spite of this.

There is a water-proof sticky insert / patch to go over the SPD mounting plate inside the sole of the shoe.
I made sure that the cleat was correctly positioned and bolted-up tight before applying this waterproofing insert.

I have *short* (european size 40 length) but *wide* (Clarks shoes width "G" / approx european size 42)
so I have size 42 pair of the shoes and they fit fine with a bit of toe-length room.

So I think the regular observation that Shimano shoes often seem to come out on the smaller end of the size error tolerance limits holds for this model too.

I agree that it can be a pain buying online, but in the UK at least, the online / mail-order / distance-selling rules allow you to send them back.

I used ChainReactionCycles and they are currently doing free-delivery (orders over £9) and a free-return service too apparently.

But these shoes definitely are not on the cheap end of the price spectrum.

P.S. They are also fine for walking around in (accepting the fact that over time the sole will wear-down and make this not as good eventually)
« Last Edit: December 05, 2014, 01:40:45 pm by IanW »