Author Topic: one sided SPD pedal  (Read 7700 times)

strictnaturist

one sided SPD pedal
« on: December 01, 2014, 10:49:28 pm »
Hi team,
I am on the verge of moving over to SPD pedals and am considering something like the XT trekking SPDs which "are designed for recreational riders who commute and tour" which means one side SPD, the other , platform. I fancy this as I like a change of shoe in warmer months.
My first thoughts are... stopped at trafic lights, foot out of SPD, lights go green, pedal is upside down and I've set off trying to birll the pedal back to get the SPD on top with only half pedal power.  Or are they more clever than that , and naturally swivel round to always offer the SPD?

Worth the trouble or should I just go full SPD and get it over with?

As always, looking forward to your replies.
SN

David Simpson

Re: one sided SPD pedal
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2014, 10:58:59 pm »
I have installed the half-and-half pedals on my second bike. When you start from a stop, the platform side is most often on the bottom, since it is the heavier side. This is good if you are wearing your SPD shoes, but just a tiny bit annoying when you are wearing regular shoes. But don't let it stop you from using these pedals. I think they are a good choice when you want to wear different shoes at different times, and it is quite easy to flip the pedal over. It reminds me of the old days when I had toe-clips, which were usually upside down because of the weight of the clips.

Yet I must make this disclaimer: on my main bike, I have 2-sided SPD pedals. Once you get used to SPD pedals, you don't want to go back.

- Dave
« Last Edit: December 01, 2014, 11:01:40 pm by davidjsimpson »

Audax hopeful

« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2014, 11:07:18 pm »
Whichever way the pedal naturally floats, you'll always have the need to flip it at some point, depending on shoe choice. It's actually quite easy and soon becomes second nature - indeed many (me included) use one sided pedals designed just for spd shoes (eg Shimano A520), with no flat side for ordinary shoes. The only time dual sided spd pedals come into their own is off road or mountain biking when speed of engagement can be paramount.

Having said that, double sided Shimano M520 spd pedals are available for ~£17 now and may be the easiest type to learn on.

So many options!

PS just read Dave's post above - so 'what he said' !!

Good luck

Nich.

mickeg

« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2014, 03:01:41 am »
On a bike tour I use the Shimano M324 pedals, see photo.  At home I switch to SPD on both sides during most of the year.  During winter (now) I switch back to the M324 pedals since I do not wear bike shoes when it is below freezing.

I like to be able to wear my trail runner shoes (that I wear in evenings in the campsite) on my bike for short errands or if my cycle shoes are soaked from rain on prior days.  That is why on a tour I want a pedal with both sides, platform and SPD.

You can be assured that the pedal will be upside down regardless of which shoe you are wearing.  After a few revolutions of the crank I manage to get my foot on it proper, I just use the same technique I used to use with toe clips.

IanW

« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2014, 10:06:07 am »
+1 for reckoning that once you try SPDs you will never look back.

I (we) use double-sided SPDs almost exclusively but ... with a home-made set of pedal-reflectors that clip into one side of each pedal.
This then acts as a weight that causes the pedal to rotate / hang with the vacant / available SPD fitting facing upwards.

As spare / back-up pedals my spouse has a set of M324 fitted with toe-clips and straps (and a rearward facing pedal reflector) on one side
and (obviously) an SPD fitting on the other.
Again this causes the pedal to naturally rotate to leave the SPD side uppermost-ish but always in a consistent orientation.
(and when using the toe-clips and straps she has to do the usual flip the pedal round on settng off)

As spare / back-up / visitor use I have a set of T780 pedals which again usually rotate so that the SPD side is uppermost
(they are not quite as consistent as the other more pronounced one-sided weighting).

However the net result is that we have pedals that a) have a consistent "at-rest" orientation
and b) have an SPD side that is always in the convenient orientation.

I can heartily recommend this behaviour.
In fact I would go as far as to suggest that non-racing use SPDs should routinely be asymetrically weighted (particularly the single-sided variants) such that the SPD pedal naturally rotated to leave the SPD fitting facing uppermost. Shimano could probably dispense with the expense of the other SPD fitting.

George Hetrick

• retired software engineer in Austin, TX, USA
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2014, 02:20:50 pm »
I, also, use the Shimano M324 on all my bikes. I almost always get into the SPD clip instantly, but, even if I don't, there's no problem starting up from a traffic light. And, I'm able to use non-SPD shoes when I want.

geocycle

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2014, 02:35:02 pm »
I use Shimano XT T780 single side pedals.  They are very good and have in built reflectors.  Before that I had M324's which were fine until they wore out.  They were heavier than the T780s and the reflectors had to be bolted on which looked a bit ugly.  Only downside with the T780's is that you only have an allen key bolt rather than flats to take a spanner for removal.  I find that with both types they always seem to fall so that the side you were using last is uppermost making it easy to clip in.  I prefer having a flat side as an option for using the bike in ordinary shoes or hiking boots.

mickeg

« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2014, 03:05:49 pm »
If you make the switch to SPD, for the first couple months check your SPD cleat screws every few weeks to make sure they are still tight.  The shoe sole is plastic, it deforms under pressure from the cleat, thus the screws loosen a bit when first installed.  If the screws loosen too much or if one screw falls out, you can't get your shoe out of the pedal.  It has not happened to me but has happened to others that I know.  I carry a spare cleat screw with my other spares when I tour.

geocycle

« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2014, 03:25:12 pm »
If you make the switch to SPD, for the first couple months check your SPD cleat screws every few weeks to make sure they are still tight.  The shoe sole is plastic, it deforms under pressure from the cleat, thus the screws loosen a bit when first installed.  If the screws loosen too much or if one screw falls out, you can't get your shoe out of the pedal.  It has not happened to me but has happened to others that I know.  I carry a spare cleat screw with my other spares when I tour.

Good tip.  That is the only SPD-related incident I have had.  Soon after new, the cleat came partly loose and it was impossible to disengage resulting in an undignified dismount!

DAntrim

« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2014, 04:21:41 pm »
I have been using the Shimano A530 SPD and have found this to be comfy for both cleats and trainers, a bit heavy but seem to be very robust. The platform side is usually facing down which makes clipping in easier.

Carlos

jags

« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2014, 07:11:13 pm »
The only problem you will have is to unclip when your stopped  ;)
so unclip your left foot everytime your coming to a stop,they catch everyone out first time.
have fun  ;)

jags.

strictnaturist

« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2014, 10:39:22 pm »
Thanks for all your advise. Will make the leap as soon as i get a pair of SPD goretex shoes as good as my trekkinhg ones.
clear skies over Scotland at last, and a bit of frost.
all good
SN

julk

« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2014, 07:07:06 pm »
+1 for the XT T780s, I have them on 3 bikes now.
Julian.

mickeg

« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2014, 09:39:13 pm »
Thanks for all your advise. Will make the leap as soon as i get a pair of SPD goretex shoes as good as my trekkinhg ones.
clear skies over Scotland at last, and a bit of frost.
all good
SN

Most SPD cycling shoes have a lot of mesh for venting.  I do not think I have seen any Goretex cycling shoes.  When I want to wear Goretex shoes, I wear my Merrill Goretex trail runner shoes on the platform side of the pedal.  If I wear SPD cycling shoes when it is near or below freezing, I usually put a bit of plastic from a plastic bag over my heavy wool socks to keep the wind out of the vents.

The only problem you will have is to unclip when your stopped  ;)
so unclip your left foot everytime your coming to a stop,they catch everyone out first time.
have fun  ;)

jags.

Good point.  I often actually unclip and take my foot off the pedal for a few seconds before applying brake so any bikers behind me get some warning when they see my foot hanging down without a pedal under it.

IanW

« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2014, 04:33:57 pm »
I do not think I have seen any Goretex cycling shoes.  When I want to wear Goretex shoes, I wear my Merrill Goretex trail runner shoes on the platform side of the pedal.  If I wear SPD cycling shoes when it is near or below freezing, I usually put a bit of plastic from a plastic bag over my heavy wool socks to keep the wind out of the vents.

Shimano MT71 http://www.wiggle.co.uk/shimano-mt71-goretex-spd-touring-shoes/

(and various other models like MW81 and MT91 )

OR

You could try some non-waterproof SPD shoes, but wear water-proof socks made by the likes of  Sealskinz or Dexshell or Goretex themselves

Of course you may find that you need a larger size of SPD shoe to fit comfortably over thicker socks.

I have a pair of the MT71s
but as an alternative I also have a pair of Shimano SPD *sandals* that adjust, for winter, to fit over a pair of Sealskinz socks.