Author Topic: I'm not a geek. I just like gadgets.  (Read 5555 times)

Slammin Sammy

Re: I'm not a geek. I just like gadgets.
« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2014, 05:16:22 pm »
Everyone I know knows knows me as a geek, and I admit it. I love gadgets, and I'm constantly troubleshooting and fixing devices for friends, or instructing them how to use the bling the've just purchased.

So from my innermost, guttural geekiness I say, "Me WANT Airdog!!! Yummm..."

energyman

« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2014, 05:42:06 pm »
Ref those wonderful Helios bars fitted to a bike that appears to be sooooooo cooooool it doesn't even need brakes ?
Or am I missing something again ?

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2014, 06:42:37 pm »
Ref those wonderful Helios bars fitted to a bike that appears to be sooooooo cooooool it doesn't even need brakes ?
Or am I missing something again ?
Sharp eyes, e-man, but there is method to their madness,and -- yes! -- it does involve cooooool appearances! You'll note there seems to be no way to adjust 'bar angle on the Helios, and there appears to be only one stem reach available, so it isn't all about ergonomics. The only choices relate to color and bullhorn/pursuit or drop-handlebar styles.

They do note ( https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/kennygibbs/helios-bars-transform-any-bike-into-a-smart-bike ) any standard brakes can be fitted, but they are shown without, I think to highlight the clean, integrated design.

To further focus on the Helios' clean lines, the bicycle in their Kickstarter demo bike is a fixed-gear bicycle...in the most traditional sense. There are no caliper or disc brakes. Stopping on such bikes is accomplished (slowly) by resisting the pedals as they come 'round, or (more quickly) by locking one's legs and "skip-stopping" the bike by skidding the rear tire. Schwalbe (among others) even market special tires with a thicker rubber tread cap intended for this sort of thing.

The less hardcore Fixed riders use at least a front brake to augment the locked-leg version at the rear.

The wannabes use caliper brakes and a single-speed freewheel. Feh. Poseurs.  :P   ;) :D ;D

The idea (partly) behind the Helios smart'bars is one can have all these gadgets integrated in the design, yet still have the "clean" look Fixies are known for.

At least currently here in the 'States, Fixies and Faux-Fixies (single-speed freewheels) are the hot ticket among the uni crowd. I think they appeal because (a) they require little maintenance and (b) they are the more mature development of the BMX bike, which many uni students have outgrown, both physically and socially and allow one to make good speed and distance on pavement. (a) + (b) = (C)ool (or Hot, depending on vernacular and age, but the result is "popular" and "socially trending").

I've ridden True Fixed in the past and enjoyed it greatly as an early-season training aid. It does wonders to promote a smooth spin (souplesse) and works muscles you dinnaknowyahad. I'm eyeing the 1972 Windsor Professional in the garage rafters and pondering whether it is the basis for my next Fixed Gear.

Best,

Dan. (...who thinks looks ofttimes go further than function in causing many to reach for their wallets)
« Last Edit: November 21, 2014, 06:44:56 pm by Danneaux »