Author Topic: Amsterdam - Moscow  (Read 4516 times)

Minion

Amsterdam - Moscow
« on: January 04, 2007, 01:21:44 am »
hey my names Chris i'm new to the forums and i'm looking for any advice I can get on my tour which will take me through the Capitals of the Netherlands, Germany, Poland, Belarus and finally Russia.  

This is the first time i've undertaken a personal challenge of this scale so i'm just looking for anything you guys have to offer me the route is based on the majority section of the proposed EV2 - Capitals way route

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EuroVelo

Information on the best road/cycle maps for each area is my main need at this moment in time.

Thankyou for taking the time out to read this

Chris

Froggy

Re: Amsterdam - Moscow
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2007, 12:34:57 pm »
Hi Chris!

Might be a good idea to post your message on www.wereldfietser.nl also. There is an English version of the site too!
Its a Dutch site followed by lots of bikers who have probably ridden at least pasrt of your planned route and would be happy to help!
Drop me a line when you set out from Amsterdam and I'll ride the first bit with you!

Good luck!

James
« Last Edit: January 11, 2007, 12:36:44 pm by Froggy »

Minion

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2007, 11:49:26 pm »
thanks alot froggy for your help and i'll let you know when/if (still planning) I take off from holland would be nice to have someone tag along.

roycowherd

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2007, 11:16:03 pm »
Hey, suck it up and just go.  Long ago, I did tours far heavier because 20-25 yrs ago going through S and SE Asia was out and out politically and militarily dangerous.  It would be like going through Afghanistan and Iran now.  

If you're young and tough mentally and physically, you can't be stopped, not even by those military checkpoints.  You just have to keep you head about you and when necessary, speak dollars, not Russian.  It's all they understand.  And don't count on your embassy to help you out.  Embassies won't get you out of a parking ticket.

roycowherd

« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2007, 11:20:20 pm »
Oh yeah -- on Adventure Cycling  http://www.adv-cycling.org/mag/companions.cfm there was someone riding from Holland to Vladivostock.  Maybe it was you for all I know.

roycowherd

« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2007, 11:21:19 pm »
Trans Russia   created: 11/08/2006
Solo touring for four to five weeks starting from Moscow, Russia, by Transiberian rail late July 2007, arriving in Irkutsk after four or five days, then cycling and cruising the Baykal. Will head back to Moscow in late August by plane. Sixty to eighty kilometers per day, flexible. Staying in hostels/lodges, etc. If interested, email - (arch.ravello@libero.it).