Author Topic: How good (or bad) is a Brooks B17 for the prostate?  (Read 11482 times)

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
Re: How good (or bad) is a Brooks B17 for the prostate?
« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2014, 05:46:27 pm »
Prostatitis have nothing to do with prostate cancer . The cause for prostatitis isn't clear except that (maybe) it has something to do with a bigger prostrate when you are getting older. Or, for some, the cause is a bacteria and than you can take antibiotics and get rid of it.
<nods> As one who has also had prostatitis in the past, I feel for you, Ken. It is no fun, and anything one can do to prevent a recurrence is worthwhile. Sure glad you're feeling better now and able to ride once more. A change of saddle can surely help in this case, as can a change in setup; pressure seems to aggravate the condition.

Welcome to the Forum, Ken.

Best,

Dan.

energyman

« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2014, 08:17:11 pm »
Can we change the subject please.  I have a B60 something saddle and am now worried that it may shorten my life

Slammin Sammy

« Reply #17 on: November 18, 2014, 03:44:51 pm »
After careful analysis whilst out riding today, I can report that my B17 has almost no contact with my prostate, but instead supports my sit bones perfectly. I love this throne!  ;)

Mind you, it took awhile to get it just right, plus a Thompson Elite setback seat post with micro-adjustable clamp. It's worthwhile persevering until you get the perfect fit, as (for me, anyway) a few mm in height, position or tilt can mean the difference between all day comfort and agony.

IanW

« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2014, 04:56:00 pm »
Thompson Elite setback seat post with micro-adjustable clamp. It's worthwhile persevering until you get the perfect fit, as (for me, anyway) a few mm in height, position or tilt can mean the difference between all day comfort and agony.

+1 for the combination of Brooks saddle (which short-ish seat rail clamping length that limits saddle backwards adjustment) with a Thomson (no "p") Elite setback seat post.

A Brooks Swift on the original Thorn seatpost did not work for me.

But the 2-bolt "micro-adjustment" mechanism on the Thomson Elite that allows essentially infinitely variable seat tilt angle adjustment is definitely better than the rather more limited click adjustment afforded by a single-bolt seatpost saddle clamp.

And the setback works well with the Brooks seat rails.

revelo

« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2015, 01:56:31 am »
My Brooks B17 was comfortable from the day one, and I rode with B17's for several years and about 20,000 km without discomfort. But after talking to other cyclists and doing some research on the subject of damage to the genital nerves, I switched to SMP Selle saddles, the TRK model currently but all the SMP Selle saddles have the same design. That Selle Italia Selle Italia Max Flite Gel Flow Saddle also has a pretty good cutout.

It takes about an hour for the SMP Selle TRK to become uncomfortable, whereas the B17 was never uncomfortable. But the discomfort (mostly under the sit bones due to restriction of blood flow there), is not unbearable by any means. For long days in the saddle, there are all sorts of aches and pains in my body. A little added soreness under the sit bones doesn't make that much difference. This soreness disappears immediately upon getting off the saddle so that the blood can flow freely again.

The two other cyclists I talked to had ridden B17 saddles for years without discomfort for years and then all of a sudden they became impotent, and the impotence took several years to heal in one case and in the other case still hasn't healed after many years. That cyclist is now determined to ride recumbent based on this experience, though I suggested the SMP Selle. Apparently, damage to the genital nerves is like the fraying of a rope made of many strands. No evidence of a problem until the last strand breaks, and then the problem becomes very evident in the form of impotence.

When sitting on the SMP Selle saddle and reaching under, it is apparent that a lot of tissue hangs through the opening, and thus that tissue would have been compressed when on the B17. Whether or not this compression caused discomfort, it might have been causing damage.

Neither of these other cyclists had prostate soreness, just impotence.