Author Topic: ClubTour4 disc, rear rack options?  (Read 5523 times)

Far-Oeuf

ClubTour4 disc, rear rack options?
« on: November 07, 2014, 04:30:04 pm »
Hi,

To fit a rear rack to the CT4 it seems you need to go for a disc specific rack, of which there are quite a few.  But that means you run into problems fitting the mudguard, as there's only a single rear eyelet on the CT frame.   To fit the mudguard, the standard approach seems to be the Thorn rack which has a mid-level eyelet for the guard.  But that rack appears not to fit the CT with disc brake.

What have people done to work around this situation?   I don't want to fit a rear canti/v-brake.   The existing mudguard strut (disc side) is already modified (by Thorn) to fit over the disc, but I don't think using the single eyelet for rack and guard would be ideal:

cheers,

Far-Oeuf

Re: ClubTour4 disc, rear rack options?
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2014, 05:21:02 pm »
I guess p-clips on the rack struts are the answer?

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2014, 07:10:12 pm »
Doug,

Perhaps the photos on page 41 and 51 of the new Mega Thorn brochure will prove helpful: http://www.sjscycles.com/thornpdf/THORN_MEGA_BROCHURE.pdf

These photos show a Tubus Airy rack...and mudguard stays mounted to it with P-clips.

Page 51 also features as options the Tubus Vega that "...includes adapters for use with BB7 disc on Club Tour or Mercury. We'll fit the M/G stays using 'P' clips as with the Airy. The Tortec Ultralight Rear Carrier is also shown, and "...works with BB7 Disc on Club Tour or Mercury".

Going forward, it appears a Tubus Airy rack might be a very wise purchase to consider *with* a new bike, as on page 51 Thorn also note...
The OEM carrier is supplied to us by Tubus, solely for fitting to brand new bikes. It comes with the Tubus bracket 22531 but without packaging. We can only sell this item to you when you purchase your bike. If you want one later the cost is: £153 for the carrier, + £3 for the bracket + £3 for the 'P' clips + £6 for the disc adaptor (sic) + £45 labour, that's £210.
It appears to cost "only" £100 if purchased with a new bike, all fitted and ready to go; a real bargain compared to buying later and attempting the parts sourcing, mods, and fitting oneself.

Best,

Dan.

DAntrim

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2014, 08:13:30 pm »
My Club tour came with full disc and the thorn rack fitted, so should not be a problem with the thorn rear rack

Fixed image tag to display photo properly -- Dan.
« Last Edit: November 07, 2014, 08:16:14 pm by Danneaux »

DAntrim

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2014, 08:40:37 pm »
The rack itself does not appear to modified around the rear disc, you can tell photography is not my thing ::)

http://i.imgur.com/EpA6HBM.jpg[/img]]

http://i.imgur.com/n73rW0g.jpg[/img]]

Far-Oeuf

« Reply #5 on: November 08, 2014, 12:03:32 am »
thanks Dan, wow there's a MEGA brochure! :)

@Dantrim, great, thanks.   So looks like the Thorn rack fits without mods.   good to know, thanks again!