Author Topic: The right way to ride a hill  (Read 3009 times)

Andre Jute

The right way to ride a hill
« on: October 26, 2014, 09:25:39 pm »
The right way to ride a hill -- downhill!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eUXgvgWIURY

Posted to RBT from Portland, Oregon (near where Dan lives) by Jay Beattie.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
Re: The right way to ride a hill
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2014, 10:02:30 pm »
Yep~! ...and Yep!  ;D

Best,

Dan.

jags

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2014, 10:43:41 pm »
more impressed with the size of the cemetery ;D ;D.

anto

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2014, 10:51:37 pm »
more impressed with the size of the cemetery
Anto,

It is filled with the bodies of cyclists who chose to ride *up* the hill....  :D

Best,

Dan.

nztony

« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2014, 11:48:12 pm »
Here's one I do (semi) regularly, but no where as fast as this guy.
The descent of Akatarawa Road, north of Wellington, New Zealand.
It is a part of my 95km loop I do for my distance or endurance training as there is almost 1000 metres of ascent by
the time I get home.

Fun descent but it takes me 50 minutes to get up it and about 15 minutes to descend: (I don't do both on the same ride, it depends if I am doing it north about or south about, so half the time climb it and the other times I descend it.)

Everytime I tell car drivers I ride here they wince "it's far too dangerous": http://youtu.be/xI11Ijkn_yE

Andre Jute

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2014, 12:25:47 am »
Another ride I'll do as soon as they put in the cablecar to carry my bike to the top.  ;)

nztony

« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2014, 01:13:28 am »
Andre

I kind of ruined the ascent of this ride after I measured it using my Garmin GPS and found it was 8km of climbing and about 50 - 55 minutes duration. Until I measured it I was blissfully unaware of these facts - ignorance was bliss. Now I have a level of apprehension every time I approach the climb - but I kind of enjoy it in a funny way too.

Tony

Andre Jute

« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2014, 02:11:35 am »
You're right, Tony, this is an "I'm sorry I asked" moment. But you must admit, that's a fabulous video. I took up cycling when I was well over forty; I enjoy your amazing feats vicariously. We have some nasty little climbs here, but they're over in fifteen or twenty minutes even at very moderate pace, and, significantly (my cardiologist lectures me proper warmup every time he sees me), they are approached by gentler inclines. On my best day I would never have got up the 8km climb in that video without doing myself some harm.

I know an athlete has to train hard, but an 8 klick hill is bit extreme: I fully understand why you tackle it only every second ride!

On the other hand, a cablecar for bikes wouldn't cost too much, and would be a major tourist attraction.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2014, 02:13:10 am by Andre Jute »

John Saxby

« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2014, 10:38:41 pm »
Helluva ride, Tony, and what a great vid!  Wouldn't care to meet, say, a fast motorcycle coming up. Lots of switchback flicks there.

And as for the descent from the Portland cemetery -- a grave situation indeed...

nztony

« Reply #9 on: October 28, 2014, 07:33:30 pm »
Andre, you motivated me, I did the ride up the Akatarawa Hill yesterday for the first time in a few months - I was going to do an easyish/shortish ride but the further I went the further I decided to keep going and I am glad I did: http://connect.garmin.com/modern/#activity/621719889
I find the graphs of the ascents/descents and changes of speed quite fascinating.

John,  I didn't take this video - I'd hate to take the credit from whoever did it. I actually prefer riding up it though, I really do enjoy the challenge. I rode up in a mix of 1st and 2nd gear yesterday the whole way up on my Nomad with a 40 x16 Rohloff - took me just a few ticks over 50 minutes yesterday.

Andre Jute

« Reply #10 on: October 29, 2014, 01:16:22 am »
Andre, you motivated me, I did the ride up the Akatarawa Hill yesterday for the first time in a few months - I was going to do an easyish/shortish ride but the further I went the further I decided to keep going and I am glad I did: http://connect.garmin.com/modern/#activity/621719889
I find the graphs of the ascents/descents and changes of speed quite fascinating.

I wasn't even there, Sergeant! No, seriously, I'm flattered, Tony.

Just thinking of a 50 minute ascent makes me dizzy. I'll set my treadmile to a daring inclination of 4, and do a Walter Mitty. "I'm riding up the hill with Tony." I'm not much of a runner but I grew up with De Villiers Lambrecht, the first barefoot four minute miler, and very occasionally ran with him at home and at college, so I have no trouble imagining cycling with a much superior athlete.

John Saxby

« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2014, 02:18:28 pm »
Great stuff, guys.  Press on regardless!!

energyman

« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2014, 04:19:19 pm »
I always wondered why cycle speedos went so high - I now know !!