Author Topic: Wanting a day/night, all-seasons wet&dry utility Jacket, upright posture  (Read 12312 times)

Andre Jute

I too am in the market for a new cycling jacket. For about 20 years I've used a non-cycling yellow rain jacket, now beyond washing clean, so I'm used to plenty of pockets and a fairly loose fit, so that the jacket does year-round service, even over a sweater or a fleece top.. For vents I took a paper punch to the fabric under the flap right across the shoulders but it's never too hot here and I'm under strict medical injunction not to run my respiration up to where overheating becomes a problem, so ventilation should be good but needn't be exceptional.

I sit in a pretty upright position, so I don't want a jacket pre-shaped to a roadie crouch. My key consideration is absolutely maximum visibility in all cycling conditions day and night.

What do you chaps thinks of the Proviz Reflect360 Jacket? This is the shop's own review but their photos tell the story:
http://blog.koo-bikes.com/proviz-reflect360-jacket-review/?utm_source=Newsletter&utm_source=Newsletter&utm_medium=New-Kids-Newsletter&utm_campaign=Newsletter

More particular info on the sales page:  
http://www.koo-bikes.com/proviz-reflect-360-jacket-mens-silver.html
« Last Edit: October 26, 2014, 02:29:03 am by Andre Jute »

jags

Re: How about the Proviz Reflect360 Jacket?
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2014, 11:22:09 pm »
That looks a cool jacket Andre and a great price 2 chest pockets one rear zipped  yeah if i had the dosh. ;)

jags.

Donerol

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2014, 11:25:29 pm »
During daylight it is a modest grey colour.
Personally I'd rather have something brighter than grey - think overcast days and drizzle.

Andre Jute

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2014, 11:50:52 pm »
During daylight it is a modest grey colour.
Personally I'd rather have something brighter than grey - think overcast days and drizzle.

Yes, that struck me too. According to the photographs, and particularly the one I included above, during daylight the reflectivity works only when the driver has his lamps switched on...

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2014, 04:10:27 am »
Andre,

A couple weeks ago, I was at REI, looking at Sugoi's ZAP jacket; it might better fit your needs. The cut looked as if it would work as well for riding upright as it would in a full-aero tuck on drops (their jackets come in fitted and semi-fitted designs as shown here: http://www.sugoi.com/usa/bike/men/outerwear.html?p=1&limit=all ).

It uses fabric optimized for daytime conspicuity, sprinkled with "dots" of reflective material. Because of the grid pattern, I'd estimate between 20%-33% of the jacket's surface area is reflective. I took a couple photos with the flash on my phone and have attached them below. I have not seen it at night myself, but the daytime colors range from muted/black to neon high-viz yellow. The Versa model has magnetic (!) sleeves that convert it between jacket and vest/gillet for greater versatility. I like the idea of having the sleeves connected via a cape. They store in the zippered back pocket.

I've found Sugoi's design and materials to be top-notch and durable and I regularly use my Sugoi stretch-reflective/neon helmet cover in foul weather traffic riding. I've been told it is very noticeable above traffic from 3/4 mile away on grey and rainy days. Car drivers have commented positively on it while I've waited at traffic lights.

More here:
• REI Description, video and user review: http://www.rei.com/product/875014/sugoi-zap-versa-bike-jacket-mens
• Sugoi's homepage: http://www.sugoi.com/usa/
• Sugoi's webpage on the jacket: http://www.sugoi.com/usa/zap-bike-jacket-10017559.html
• YouTube video showing the jacket: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eGPuwAQFRmw

Something like this might fit your needs for day and nighttime visibility, Andre.

Best,

Dan.

Andre Jute

« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2014, 06:13:34 am »
Thank you so much, Dan. I'll look into that one too. Two immediate concerns: like the Proviz jacket it lights up only under artificial light, and I wonder how durable beads "silkscreened on" could be.

There's a lot of clever tech out there when you start looking for something as "simple" as a jacket!

martinf

« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2014, 06:36:40 am »
My key consideration is absolutely maximum visibility in all cycling conditions day and night.

For daytime visibility, Dayglo yellow is best, followed by orange.

At night, white, followed by yellow for lateral visibility, reasonable large panels of any colour reflective material for visibility from behind and anywhere else the driver's lights will reflect back to him.

I often don't want conspicuous colours once I get to my destination, so compromise and use a cheap dayglo yellow jacket with reflective stripes over ordinary clothing/hiking style raingear.

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #7 on: October 25, 2014, 06:58:04 am »
Andre,

If my experience is anything to go by, most reflective fabrics are at their brightest when new and clean. Reflective glass beads in a matrix comprise a rough surface that is superb at catching and retaining fine dust and dirty water. It is equally hard to scrub clean without dulling the reflective properties.

I've found my best strategy with such garments is to take real pains to keep them clean, which also makes for less washing, which can also lead to dulling.

How durable might silkscreen dots/coatings be? I've found the thinner varieties to be more flexible and longer lasting.  When they are laid on too thick, they become stiffer than the surrounding fabric and tend to peel from their edges.

With my luck, I'd get chain oil or -- worse yet -- rim oxide on a new jacket with the first wet ride. That has happened to each of my last three. I now just shrug and say, "Perhaps .05% of the surface area is flawed. That leaves a lot for visibility". It is also why I save the newer/better stuff for day rides and use the older/stained clothing for extended tours, which are always much harder on my wearable kit. Intense sun tends to fade my hi-viz stuff pretty quickly so I save it mainly for rainy/dull days, passing it down my clothing food chain as it becomes paler.

With reasonable care, I think one could get pretty good service from both the hi-viz colors and reflective coatings.

Another option would be to get a hi-viz jacket for daytime and cover it with a compactly stowable reflective vest for nighttime use. I bought a TÜV-approved neon yellow mesh safety vest with 3M Scotchlite stripes at an apothecary at the Titisee in Baden-Württemberg for 2 Euro that later worked great keeping me safe transiting a series of 21 very dark and sometimes lengthy Serbian tunnels amid car and truck traffic. Worn over my neon yellow long-sleeved sun jersey, I felt much safer night and day and the combo made for a better solution with lower replacement costs.

Best,

Dan.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2014, 07:05:48 am by Danneaux »

julk

« Reply #8 on: October 25, 2014, 12:28:01 pm »
Andre,
I would go for something orange or red, I have jackets in yellow, orange and red, red is my 1st choice for general cycling use.
My reasoning is from experience sailing and looking for marks at sea.

Yellow is the best but only when the sun shines, fine if you only ride on sunny days.
As you ride in Ireland I would make allowances for the variable weather, orange or red are more easily seen in poor weather.
Julian.

triaesthete

« Reply #9 on: October 25, 2014, 04:11:25 pm »

Andre, have you already disounted the humble hi vis vest? No chance of being mistaken for a roadie or a hipster  ;)
 Lo tech, low price,  goes over anything you happen to be wearing at the time, easy to carry if not worn  http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/50200916/

Happy saving
Ian

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2014, 06:54:01 pm »
That's the same vest I used. Works great, stuffs compactly into the smallest of pockets and costs a pittance.

All the best,

Dan.

Andre Jute

« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2014, 10:10:12 pm »
Gentlemen, you're a fount of wisdom and intelligence, if not necessarily of good taste (but then, how could you display good taste without being rude when we're discussing beaded jackets for men!). Thanks for all the good information.

I have dayglo Sam Brownes and thin gillets for overwear, but they're too much of a nuisance for a utility cyclist who wants to jump on the bike in what he's wearing, not wait to put on special clothes.

I'm off the idea of the ProViz jacket. It will get dirty too easily, it isn't as visible as it should be in the daytime unless cars have their headlamps on, and the durability of the fabric is unproven.

I have a coatrack full of jackets that for one reason or another won't do and I suspect the ProViz will end up on it rather soon. Also, the maker's name so big across the back is very offputting; if people want me to advertise their products, they should pay me, not expect me to do it free of charge.

macspud

« Reply #12 on: October 26, 2014, 01:17:20 am »

Yes, that struck me too. According to the photographs, and particularly the one I included above, during daylight the reflectivity works only when the driver has his lamps switched on...

Andre,
Maybe the Hump Strobe Cycling Jacket (also tested by Koo bikes) would be bettter suited to those dull overcast drizzly kind of days.
http://blog.koo-bikes.com/hump-strobe-cycling-jacket-first-impression/
« Last Edit: October 26, 2014, 01:30:54 am by macspud »

Andre Jute

Re: Wanting a day/night, all-seasons wet&dry utility Jacket, upright posture
« Reply #13 on: October 26, 2014, 02:45:51 am »
I took a look at the HUMP Strobe, for which thanks. The HUMP signage is a bit in yer face but I'll keep it in mind.

However, the colour of the HUMP jacket on test, and remarks by Julian above, reminded me that my physician has an orange Altura Night Vision jacket which is visible a long, long way down the road when i stop to wait for him. This is a wellknown jacket with a track record, from a reputable British maker.

Altura Night Vision jacket:
http://www.altura.co.uk/products/detail/AL22NVI3

Anyone know anything against the Altura Night Vision jacket?

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
Re: Wanting a day/night, all-seasons wet&dry utility Jacket, upright posture
« Reply #14 on: October 26, 2014, 03:28:32 am »
Andre,

Having read a number of reviews on this jacket, the "cons" are summed up most nicely here:
http://road.cc/content/review/99241-altura-night-vision-jacket

The drawbacks sound largely reasonable to me, but I can see a couple that might be stoppers in specific circumstances.

Best,

Dan.