Author Topic: Zefal HPX2 pump wanted  (Read 6732 times)

martinf

Re: Zefal HPX2 pump wanted
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2014, 06:26:32 am »
just on pumps has anyone ever come across a pump that does exactly what it's supposed to do, pump up to 80psi  ::) i know i havent.

jags.

The two pumps I have for my road toolkits will do 80psi, but I don't need pressures that high on my Thorns. I have one of the Lezyne mini-pumps with an old-fashioned flexible hose connector - that gets my Brompton tyres up to 85 psi and has been lent to "racing" cyclists to inflate their 700C x 23 tyres up to high enough pressures to get them home. Downside is it needs a lot of pump strokes for fat tyres or very high pressures.

For long trips I have a more sophisticated and heavier Lezyne pump, with built-in pressure guage that (sort of) works like a floor pump. This is more comfortable for inflating 26" x 50 mm tyres. I used that on my Spain trip, but I will probably take the smaller pump next time as I get very few punctures on 26" tyres and am now on butyl tubes that need less topping-up than the latex ones I used until recently.

Both pumps in my road toolkits are less convenient than the old German track pump I keep in the garage, so they tend to get more use on other peoples's bikes than on my own...

jomouk

« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2014, 12:44:44 pm »
Sorted mine with some black heat shrink from ebay. Now its very black!
Chris ;)

https://www.flickr.com/photos/noddingdonkey/14340309750/player/

Interesting idea!  Will look into that!

jomouk

« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2014, 12:46:49 pm »
Satin-black spray paint, perhaps?

Astonishingly, that's what made my Zéfal HPXs black, when comparing them to the silver versions. Came from the factory that way. A bit of Scotchbrite pad to give the silver shaft some "tooth", paint, and you're there.

Painting was my fall back, but I am intrigued by the idea of heat shrink now!