Author Topic: Good tyres at an exceptional price!  (Read 6804 times)

Audax hopeful

Good tyres at an exceptional price!
« on: October 16, 2014, 08:08:10 am »
I couldn't believe this price for such a well respected touring tyre! Only in 700x37 (which by all accounts measures 35mm!) but folding and with a reflective band too!

http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/TYVIVOHY/vittoria-voyager-hyper-folding-tyre

I ordered 2 even though I don't need them yet!!

Nich

Audax hopeful

Re: Good tyres at an exceptional price!
« Reply #1 on: October 29, 2014, 04:36:18 pm »
Thoughts on Voyager Hyper: (fitted to Claud Butler Dalesman)

Firstly, a bargain, well made, light. A folding tyre, but quite an effort to get on the rims! Measure 37mm in width fitted and inflated; stand 35mm in height above rim. Appear quite bulky, and certainly look heavier than the much heavier (>50%) 32mm Marathons they replaced! Certainly feel livelier - acceleration is noticeably sprightlier. Ride quite harsh at 80 psi but improves as pressure reduced (currently 67/72 as per Thorn recommendations for 35mm tyres). Will try 60/65 next ride! [All pressures read from track pump gauge - probably inaccurate but hopefully consistent]
Update: 60/65 worked fine (but possibly still scope to further reduce?) and my ride times reduced compared to the Marathons, with equivalent or better grip and comfort.
Update ii: I've now got a BBB tyre pressure gauge and I'm trying 45/65 (f/r) as per a phone app I found!

tt2cycletours

« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2014, 12:27:01 am »
Be interesting to let us know how many miles you get out of these tires; I had some budget Vittoria tyres for my road bike and I have never considered this brand since as they didn't last long.  T
It is always better by bike!

il padrone

« Reply #3 on: November 16, 2014, 12:34:02 am »
Vittoria Randonneur Cross continue to be my tyres of choice for the Nomad, and several other bikes. The plain Randonneur (slicker tread) is on the roadster and on the tandem. Using them in 26x1.75 I have routinely got 14,000 kms out of them before the red puncture-prevention layer begins to show. As for punctures, I have currently never had a penetration puncture, in over 10 years of using these tyres.

My only concern is that these tyres seem to becoming difficult to source, especially in the 26" size. I guess they are not as profitable for Vittoria as they last so damn long  :-\  I have just ordered 8 of the tyes from REI (for $A370) and this should do me for at least 10 years.

« Last Edit: November 16, 2014, 01:43:02 am by il padrone »

onrbikes

« Reply #4 on: November 16, 2014, 10:25:26 am »
The Vittoria Randonneur Cross look like a nice light tyre, and if they last, they look good.

How did that work, getting them to Australia, shipping wise? Cost?

il padrone

« Reply #5 on: November 16, 2014, 09:59:56 pm »
Eight tyres cost me $280, the shipping was $90. Two-three weeks delivery time; I can wait.

I was more than happy to jump on this and pay the shipping as generally (and I thought this applied to REI) most US on-line sellers barely even know there is any world outside of the US & Canada, and hardly ever ship overseas. There are a limited number of good sites that I know I can go to for shipment to Aus, or else you need to use a freight forwarding agent.
« Last Edit: November 16, 2014, 10:01:27 pm by il padrone »

Mike Ayling

« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2014, 12:47:04 am »
Vittoria Randonneur Cross continue to be my tyres of choice for the Nomad, and several other bikes. The plain Randonneur (slicker tread) is on the roadster and on the tandem. Using them in 26x1.75 I have routinely got 14,000 kms out of them before the red puncture-prevention layer begins to show. As for punctures, I have currently never had a penetration puncture, in over 10 years of using these tyres.

My only concern is that these tyres seem to becoming difficult to source, especially in the 26" size. I guess they are not as profitable for Vittoria as they last so damn long  :-\  I have just ordered 8 of the tyes from REI (for $A370) and this should do me for at least 10 years.

Peter,

Are these wire bead tyres or folding?

Mike

il padrone

« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2014, 09:03:21 am »
Wire bead tyres. These ones are not available as folding tyres.

Ordered on Tuesday, arrived today 4 pm. WOW !!  :o ;D

Slammin Sammy

« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2014, 04:58:41 pm »
These are very similar in tread and weight to the foldable Schwalbe Duremes, which to my knowledge, are no longer available.

il padrone

« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2014, 11:40:56 pm »
I have just been advised that Vittoria no longer make the Randonneur Cross. Being superceded by the Randonneur Trail.

Not so happy. Personally I don't much like the tread of the Trail tyres - too much of the knobbies means less rubber on the tarmac = less traction.

freewheeler

« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2014, 07:31:38 pm »
There's 20% off the price of tyres and wheels at PlanetX until midnight Tuesday so those Vittoria Voyager Hyper tyres are only £12 a pop now  :o. You have to spend over £50 to get the free postage though. Shame I
ordered them before the offer.  >:( Hope this is of some use to somebody!

Danneaux

• Administrator
  • reisen statt rasen
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2014, 08:13:39 pm »
You have to spend over £50 to get the free postage though.
Maybe a shard order for those who live near each other?

Best,

Dan.

freewheeler

« Reply #12 on: March 21, 2015, 08:10:18 pm »
Thought I'd resurrect this thread from last year as these tyres are even cheaper now. 700x35 are £9.99 and 700x38 are £7.99. Order over £10 to get free postage, too!

http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/TYVIVOHY/vittoria-voyager-hyper-folding-tyre

I thought they were great value at £15 but this is just ridiculous!

Neil Jones

« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2015, 08:59:04 am »
That's an incredible deal, unfortunately I've got 26" rims. I wish Schwalbe Supremes were that price.

Neil.

mickeg

« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2015, 11:59:07 am »
I have more 700c spare tires than I know what to do with.  But I bought a Dureme 26X2.0 last week from them, waiting for it to arrive.

Odd web site when it comes to shipping costs to USA.  Order a few items, shipping costs less than $6 USD.  Then add one more inner tube, shipping jumps to over $60 USD.  I placed one order with them, then a few days later another order to avoid the high priced shipping.

I ordered an amazingly cheap pannier to use as a gym bag from them too, that is in the package with my Dureme that I am waiting for.  I have no clue if it will be any good or not given how low the price is, but it is so cheap that it was worth a roll of the dice.
http://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/BACOVASINPB/cordo-valda-single-pannier-bag